The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

right leg weakness

Forums General Melanoma Community right leg weakness

Participant

Hello,

My husband had his PETscan 6/3.  According to the PETscan, no other cancer except in the brain and the size has grown.  However, I understand that PETscans don't always show the difference between inflamation and the tumor. True??

He had another MRI last Friday and it was compared to the one in March 2014.   The tumors on the brain have decreased 1/3 in size.  I thought that was good news.

However, he has become less mobile.  He uses a walker all the time now.  I put in the raised toilet so he can get up on his own and have a couple of chairs that he can get in and out of.  His right leg he can not lift up while sitting down, When he walks, he partially lifts it.  They did a CTscan of the leg, no cancer, and no fracture showed up.  Maybe it is from the tumors, I just don't know, but he does have pain in the leg.

His melanoma started on the right side, his lung cancer was on the right side, the larger tumor is on the right side of his brain.  Any thoughts?

We see the radiation oncologist tomorrow, then the Surgeon.  We then see the medical oncologist on Friday am.  He has not had any chemo or infusions to date.  Just radiation for the lung/melanoma, and WBRT.

I think the surgeon will want to remove part or all of the tumors, but maybe the chemo would reduce it.  I am just not sure, and looking for some insight.  Please let me know what you think about the leg, and choices of brain surgery or chemo/infusion.  He is BRAF negative.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        flvermonter
        Participant

I meant to show this from me and hit anonoymously by mistake.

Greg – kyle’s dad

I am no physician (I am a physical therapist), but tumors in the brain can certainly cause limb weakness.  But if the tumors have shrunk and the weakness is worse, that does not quite fit.  It could be from a totally unrelated cause.  One thing that comes to mind is some type of muscle disease (myopathy).  Most commonly this can be caused by taking a statin (cholesterol lowering medication).  This usually results in hip and thigh weakness that makes it difficult to arise out of low chairs, toilet, etc.  A lab test for creatine kinase can detect muscle disease.  Might be worth asking your physician.

Greg

flvermonter
              Participant

Thanks.  I will get an appointment with his md for the lab test.  I agree as does his cancer doctors, with the tumors shrinking, his balance should be better.

flvermonter
                Participant

Thanks.  I will get an appointment with his md for the lab test.  I agree as does his cancer doctors, with the tumors shrinking, his balance should be better.

flvermonter
                  Participant

Greg – kyle’s dad

I am no physician (I am a physical therapist), but tumors in the brain can certainly cause limb weakness.  But if the tumors have shrunk and the weakness is worse, that does not quite fit.  It could be from a totally unrelated cause.  One thing that comes to mind is some type of muscle disease (myopathy).  Most commonly this can be caused by taking a statin (cholesterol lowering medication).  This usually results in hip and thigh weakness that makes it difficult to arise out of low chairs, toilet, etc.  A lab test for creatine kinase can detect muscle disease.  Might be worth asking your physician.

Greg

Greg – kyle’s dad

Greg

flvermonter
                      Participant

flvermonter
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics