The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

return of brain mets

Forums General Melanoma Community return of brain mets

Participant

I recently posted about my husband, dx stage iv in 1998.  He began to lose weight and complain of headaches about 6 weeks ago.  Had MRI two weeks ago and his oncologist and neurosurgeon diagnosed pacymeningeal metastatic disease.  Neuro asked about taking him back to MD Anderson but I have decided not to do that.  He has been fighting this disease off and on for 14 years.  He had a stroke about a year ago and also suffers from radiation induced dementia from the whole brain radiation done on the initial brain tumor in '98.  The doctors have suggested hospic

I recently posted about my husband, dx stage iv in 1998.  He began to lose weight and complain of headaches about 6 weeks ago.  Had MRI two weeks ago and his oncologist and neurosurgeon diagnosed pacymeningeal metastatic disease.  Neuro asked about taking him back to MD Anderson but I have decided not to do that.  He has been fighting this disease off and on for 14 years.  He had a stroke about a year ago and also suffers from radiation induced dementia from the whole brain radiation done on the initial brain tumor in '98.  The doctors have suggested hospice.  Has anyone had any experience with this diagnosis?   His oncologist has told me that the normal course of the disease is about 3 months and that my husband will probably have another massive stroke.  It is all overwhelming but I do not want him in pain.  Right now he is pretty much the way he has been since the stroke.  Some good days and some not so good.  He is fairly lucid in the mornings but the stroke left him unable to talk or walk without a walker.  Thanks for any info anyone has about this diagnosis.  Anne M, caretake to husband, stage iv

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        LynnLuc
        Participant

Since the neurologist asked you about taking him to MD Anderson and you decided not to, it sounds like you have made your decision.If he is "fairly lucid" in the morning, have you asked him what he wants and is he able to communicate his wishes? If you don't do anything, accepting hospice will help you in his last days.

LynnLuc
          Participant

Since the neurologist asked you about taking him to MD Anderson and you decided not to, it sounds like you have made your decision.If he is "fairly lucid" in the morning, have you asked him what he wants and is he able to communicate his wishes? If you don't do anything, accepting hospice will help you in his last days.

LynnLuc
            Participant

Ali
              Participant

Nothing really to offer but prayers.  I know if you choose hospice, they do a wonderful job of keeping people comfortable.  Take care.

Ali

Ali
                Participant

Nothing really to offer but prayers.  I know if you choose hospice, they do a wonderful job of keeping people comfortable.  Take care.

Ali

Ali
                  Participant

Ali

KRob
                    Participant

I'm sorry to hear of your husband's prognosis. I don't have experience with the type of melanoma he has, but hospice sounds like the next step to give you and your husband assistance and comfort.

Blessings to you both,

Karen

KRob
                      Participant

I'm sorry to hear of your husband's prognosis. I don't have experience with the type of melanoma he has, but hospice sounds like the next step to give you and your husband assistance and comfort.

Blessings to you both,

Karen

KRob
                        Participant

Blessings to you both,

Karen

dearfoam
                          Participant

I don't know what the "pacymeningeal" part is, but dad had metastatic melanoma in the brain and elsewhere. The radiation and tumors really affected his judgement and he flipped a lot between lucid and unreasonable. He had a lot of complications with heart, blood, and lungs. I wish we had made the move to hospice sooner than we did, but he was in aso much denial, I did not want to push and make him more angry at me (the scapegoat). For what it's worth, I think hospice helped a lot when treatments seemed less and less effective. Becaus eof his mental state, I think comfort is really important.

Best to you and your husband,

DF

dearfoam
                            Participant

I don't know what the "pacymeningeal" part is, but dad had metastatic melanoma in the brain and elsewhere. The radiation and tumors really affected his judgement and he flipped a lot between lucid and unreasonable. He had a lot of complications with heart, blood, and lungs. I wish we had made the move to hospice sooner than we did, but he was in aso much denial, I did not want to push and make him more angry at me (the scapegoat). For what it's worth, I think hospice helped a lot when treatments seemed less and less effective. Becaus eof his mental state, I think comfort is really important.

DF

dearfoam
                              Participant

DF

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics