The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Results for Brain MRI help

Forums General Melanoma Community Results for Brain MRI help

Participant

I just had a Brain MRI done March 1st because of a Positive SLNB .

They said the following:   IMPRESSION:

1. Fairly homogeneously enhancing right parafalcine dural based mass with imaging features suggesting meningioma. A dural based metastasis cannot be completely excluded. Mild local mass effect is present. Comparison with prior examinations would be helpful, as available, to assess for interval change. Alternatively, interval follow up is suggested, as clinically warranted.

2. Atrophy and mild chronic small vessel changes.

3. Pansinusitis.

Has anyone else had this? or does anyone know whats its saying. I will see my oncologist later this week but wanted some outside feedback.

Thanks RACO

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        WithinMySkin
        Participant

Hey Raco! First off, it sounds like your team is doing the right thing and you're getting all the right scans after a positive SLNB. This is the scariest part of any diagnosis – the waiting and the scans. Both create fear and anxiety out the wazoo. So take a deep breath and don't let your mind go too crazy.

Second, I work with neurosurgeons in the OR doing something called neuromonitoring (or IONM). The radiologist sounds like he's suggesting a meningioma, which in indeed a tumor, but it's TOTALLY benign!! As in, no relation to melanoma, not agressive, and it won't spread. The only problem with meningiomas is they have to be removed, usually surgically. I don't believe they use gamma knife for meningiomas, but its worth researching and asking!!

If I had to take an educated guess, they will likely want to remove the mass to make sure it is indeed a meningioma. It sounds funny to say, but if you're going to have a brain tumor, this is the one to have. Your scan may have uncovered something completely benign that just happened to be there. My scans have showed funny things throughout my body as well (including a previous fracture in my spine and some funny scarring in my lungs).

If you have any other questions or want to reach out, please always feel free to do so! Also, keep us updated!! [email protected]

Lauren

Raco
            Participant

Just had my second Brain MRI ( 5 Month ) and the Meningioma had increased slightly. so I went to a Neurosurgeon who went over both MRI and did measurments on both.  No progession was found and he said this was an incidental find and I may not have ever known that I had it.

Now that we know about it, he wants to keep an eye and repeat the Brain MRI first of January 2019 to see if its progressed. if not, he will extend the next scan for 6 or 8 months.

However, if it needed to be removed he said his first choice would be Gamma Knife Surgery which is a whole lot easier than open brain surgery. 

So here we go again.  At least I do feel better knowing all possibilities.

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics