The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Restarted Ipilimumab Program – Hoping for Success

Forums General Melanoma Community Restarted Ipilimumab Program – Hoping for Success

Participant

Hi,

Hi,

I haven't posted for a while but logged in this morning and saw the success Rocco has had with ipilimumab – fantastic! Last summer I completed the first round of ipi and my PET scan in November showed three small tumors as stable – good news! So I was disappointed when I had a follow-up PET scan in February, only to find out the chest wall tumor grew by 50% and a fourth tumor is growing in the same region – bummer! So my onc has restarted the ipi program for the second time. My second infusion is this Thursday. Fortunately I tolerate the side effects well as compared to IL2 and biochemo therapies in 2009. So it's wait and see again. The good news is that the chest wall tumors are easily operable as compared to the center chest and left lung tumors that still remain stable after 2+ years – yea! Hoping ipi knocks them all down this time!

My best wishes to all of you who continue to fight this disease. I feel very fortunate to have celebrated my 10th year of fighting melanoma back in October. So continue the fight with me and enjoy life as I do to the fullest!

Take care,

Bruce in NH

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Vermont_Donna
        Participant

Hi Bruce,

Good luck with your second round of ipi…..if you are in the same trial as me…how come you hadnt started your round two by now? We have the same oncologist. The trial I am in at DHMC is 12 weeks on, 12 weeks off. I will be starting my round two in mid May. I had great success, Ipi eradicated all of my cutaneous and subq tumors, about 50 to 60 of them, all in my right leg. So I did not have any organ involvement.

I am hoping for you that the surgery you will have to remove the chest wall tumor, if thats what you end up doing.

Keep up the good fight!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

stable (NED) after 4 infusions of Ipi

Bruce in NH
            Participant

Hi Donna,

When my scans in November showed the tumors to be stable, there was no need to restart the ipi program for round 2. However, by mid-February with the 50% growth in one tumor and another new one starting to grow, my options were to go straight to surgery on these two or retsart the ipi trial. As you know, our onc is very much a proponent of systemic treatment. He wants to eradicate all four tumors – so do I. So we opted to restart ipi in hopes the second time is the charm. I can feel the larger tumor under my left armpit and it's about the size of a small acorn. My wife thinks it's getting smaller but I think it's too early to tell. I'm happy with my decision and moving forward with the infusions for now. Thanks for responding and I'm glad to see your success with ipi – awesome!

Bruce in NH

Bruce in NH
              Participant

Hi Donna,

When my scans in November showed the tumors to be stable, there was no need to restart the ipi program for round 2. However, by mid-February with the 50% growth in one tumor and another new one starting to grow, my options were to go straight to surgery on these two or retsart the ipi trial. As you know, our onc is very much a proponent of systemic treatment. He wants to eradicate all four tumors – so do I. So we opted to restart ipi in hopes the second time is the charm. I can feel the larger tumor under my left armpit and it's about the size of a small acorn. My wife thinks it's getting smaller but I think it's too early to tell. I'm happy with my decision and moving forward with the infusions for now. Thanks for responding and I'm glad to see your success with ipi – awesome!

Bruce in NH

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Hi Bruce,

Good luck with your second round of ipi…..if you are in the same trial as me…how come you hadnt started your round two by now? We have the same oncologist. The trial I am in at DHMC is 12 weeks on, 12 weeks off. I will be starting my round two in mid May. I had great success, Ipi eradicated all of my cutaneous and subq tumors, about 50 to 60 of them, all in my right leg. So I did not have any organ involvement.

I am hoping for you that the surgery you will have to remove the chest wall tumor, if thats what you end up doing.

Keep up the good fight!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

stable (NED) after 4 infusions of Ipi

Rocco
                Participant

Hey Bruce,

Good to see your post.  Glad to hear that your Onc is giving you another go with Ipi.  Great to hear that the other tumors are still stable!  Here's hoping and praying that the 2nd try kills off those pesky chest tumors!

-Rocco in NH

Bruce in NH
                    Participant

Thanks for your post, Rocco. You have been through the ringer so to speak for a long time, so to see you NED at this point is wonderful. I'll post again when I complete the infusions and next set of scans.

Take care,

Bruce in NH

Bruce in NH
                      Participant

Thanks for your post, Rocco. You have been through the ringer so to speak for a long time, so to see you NED at this point is wonderful. I'll post again when I complete the infusions and next set of scans.

Take care,

Bruce in NH

Rocco
                      Participant

Hey Bruce,

Good to see your post.  Glad to hear that your Onc is giving you another go with Ipi.  Great to hear that the other tumors are still stable!  Here's hoping and praying that the 2nd try kills off those pesky chest tumors!

-Rocco in NH

Sharyn
                        Participant

Hi Bruce,

Glad to see you got to restart ipi. I hope it kicks those tumors to the moon!  I did a 12 week round of ipi from Sept to Nov 2010, but during my 12 wk break, I developed a couple of new brain mets. One was radiated with SRS, the other was excised with a craniotomy (Feb 21). I should have restarted ipi by now, but all these brain issues have to be resolved first. I'm hoping to hear word in early April. I hope I'll have the same luck as you and get a second shot at it. Good luck in your fight.

Hugs

Sharyn

Sharyn
                          Participant

Hi Bruce,

Glad to see you got to restart ipi. I hope it kicks those tumors to the moon!  I did a 12 week round of ipi from Sept to Nov 2010, but during my 12 wk break, I developed a couple of new brain mets. One was radiated with SRS, the other was excised with a craniotomy (Feb 21). I should have restarted ipi by now, but all these brain issues have to be resolved first. I'm hoping to hear word in early April. I hope I'll have the same luck as you and get a second shot at it. Good luck in your fight.

Hugs

Sharyn

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics