The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Request from Lori (Will’s friend & caregiver) for stories

Forums Caregiver Community Request from Lori (Will’s friend & caregiver) for stories

Participant

I am continuing to read this board and praying for all of you fighting this disease.  I am having a rough time since losing Will, as I had no idea what it was like to lose someone as a caregiver.

I am continuing to read this board and praying for all of you fighting this disease.  I am having a rough time since losing Will, as I had no idea what it was like to lose someone as a caregiver.

Before Will got so ill last April, we had just begun  working on a film project about his life – we'd hoped melanoma would be a bump in the road.  It turned out to be a wall that we could never quite get past.   Will quickly became too sick to continue with the project.  I had already written a number of articles about him and his remarkable spirit and courage and life, and am trying to continue work, this time on a book. 

I am trying to capture and describe the emotional pain of this illness and finding myself at a loss.  If anyone on this board would be able and willing  to contribute their thoughts on this subject, I am asking you to please email  me at Brennan07 at aol.com 

No one's name or identifying information will be used unless you specifically ask that I do so, in which case I'd be happy to oblige.  This board was my support during Will's fight.  Will, though, was quite isolated except for me, until someone from this board read about him and offered to talk to him.   As I've mentioned, he was a person with a disability (labeled mildly cognitively impaired, a label I thought was very inaccurate – he'd had what was likely a prenatal stroke and suffered a series of misdiagnoses and educational malpractice experiences).  For months, I tried to find him support through various organizations – all the likely suspects, and then some.  I could not.  I could not find support groups or a therapist who would take him on.  The person from this board (and if you are reading this, I can never, ever thank you enough)  was the only other person with melanoma he'd ever met, and was an immense blessing.  But the emotional toll of this disease was devasting on both Will and me.  I want to make sure I write about it with the respect and accuracy it deserves.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Lori – what a beautiful thing you are doing.  I wish you had finished your film.  Will was so blessed to have you. 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

Lori – what a beautiful thing you are doing.  I wish you had finished your film.  Will was so blessed to have you. 

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 1 reply thread

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics