The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

repeating the same immunotherapy drug

Forums General Melanoma Community repeating the same immunotherapy drug

Participant
      My husband diagnosed in 2017, was treated (in a study), using opdivo and a vaccine for 2 years, which was very effective for him. His first scan 3 months later showed great improvement, which continued with every scan until he stopped treatment, 2 years later. 10 months later a few more small tumors appeared and so he started on treatment again; this time Opdivo and Yervoy (not a study). Again, great success. He stuck with that for about 1 1/2 years until him and his Dr. decided he could to stop. Now another 10 months have gone by and there are new tumors. (10 months seems to be the mark). Meanwhile the Dr. he has had since the beginning relocated to another state, therefore he has a new Dr. The new Dr. is recommending two different options. #1 – He participate in a new study with Atezolizumab immunotherapy and a NT-17 shot every 3 weeks. The Atezolizumab is FDA approved and the shot is investigational. However, while the Atezolizumab has been used in some types of cancer, it apparently has not yet been proven to be effective in high risk skin cancers. When he did the 1st study 5 years ago, opdivo was already being used on Melanoma patients. This study seems a little to new for us to have faith in it. The 2nd option his Dr is suggesting is to go on the pill (didn’t give us a name), along with immunotherapy. My husbands previous Dr. told us that data has shown that the pill is really effective for approx. a year, but that once you have taken the pill, any future immunotherapy treatment is less effective. The new Dr., said that is true, but this would be a combo. (I don’t see how that would be any different, he’d still be taking the pill). Anyway, we are hesitant because we don’t want to jeopardize the effectiveness of the immunotherapy since he has done so well on it in the past. We like the new Dr., but don’t feel like he knows my husband and his history like his previous Dr. did. Sure, he’s read his file, but that’s not the same as going through it with him. His old Dr. did not feel like the pill was for him, and that sticks in our mind. His next appt is Feb 28, so we need to make a decision by then. My husband would really prefer to just do the Opdivo again, and we plan to ask discuss that at our appt. Meanwhile, we’re wondering if thats not recommended to repeat the same drug because perhaps your body can build a resistance to it? So after all the above rambling, my question is….for anyone here who has had to go through two or more rounds of immunotherapy, have you repeated the same treatment type (or opdivo specifically)? That is my main question, but I would also appreciate any feedback from anyone who has taken the pill or is familiar with the new study I mentioned. Thank you so much in advance!!
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Abear
        Participant
          My husband is on his third course of Opdivo. He, too, had recurrence about 10-12 months after stopping. He was in it for a year each time. His doctor’s plan now is to keep him on Opdivo as long as it is working. He has been on it for two years now and was just approved for another year. He is 70. The doctor said he thinks he may be on it the rest of his life, maybe not monthly all that time. Good luck.
          JudiAU
          Participant
            Thanks for posting. I’ve been under the impression that if you had progression after ipo/nivo those drugs couldn’t be used again. They were very effective for me so this quiets my anxiety mouse in the treadmill.
              gmschmidt
              Participant
                Abear, good to know! Was/is your husband on Opdivo alone, or Opdivo combined with another drug?

Thanks
                Gail

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics