The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Removing all moles just in case?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Removing all moles just in case?

Participant

Recently diagnosed, 1A, I probably have 50 moles and I'd say 20 of them or so are irregular.

Ive probably had another 20 removed in my life and the scars to me, are minor and less noticeable than the moles.

So I'm inclined to take the 20 irregular ones off – has anyone done that? Taken off moles as a preventive measure?

I'm hoping my doctor will agree – it seems safer to me and like it will help me sleep better. 

Thanks for any advice,

katie

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

It's been studied.  Since 50% of melanomas arise on new moles, wholesale removal of moles has never been considered effective at preventing melanoma.  I'd recommend getting good baseline pictures and just watching those moles for change.

Jamie1960
            Participant

+1 / The concept of "field cancerization" first proposed in 1953 by Slaughter et al. and being further researched at Dana Farber today would also seem to argue against wholesale pre-emptive removal of existing individual moles.

In addition to quarterly examinations by dermatologist and / or surgeon, I try to keep a close eye on the "ugly ducklings" (as that term is used by dermatologists) to help focus my own self-inspections.

stars
            Participant

I think all of us consider this when first diagnosed… unfortunately it's just not effective and not done.

KatieB
                Participant

Thanks for all of your responses.  Like all of you, I now hate my moles and would love to feel like I'm doing something proactive.  

My melanoma is right next to a mole that was found to be precancerous on my back years ago and there are a 4-5 others right near them. They're all atypical and I couldn't tell a difference in any of them.  I'm hoping I can take those off  –  because I can't see them to track them, and they are in the part of my body that has received the most sun, and they are so close to the others…  it would make me feel better to take them off anyway…  

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics