The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Relatioship of usage -IL-2 – ipi – vemurafenib

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Relatioship of usage -IL-2 – ipi – vemurafenib

Participant

Putting New Melanoma Drugs to Work in Community Practice

Elsevier Global Medical News. 2011 Jul 18, JS MacNeil

Euphoria – there is no better word to describe the mood in the melanoma sessions at ASCO. For the first time ever, oncologists have two new drugs that can prolong the lives of patients with advanced melanoma. They also have a host of questions as to how to bring ipilimumab and vemurafenib into community practice. We asked four experts during the meeting for their thoughts on what comes next:

• Dr. Paul Chapman of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York; lead author of the BRIM-3 study of vemurafenib vs. dacarbazine in newly diagnosed patients.

• Dr. Jedd Wolchok of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center; lead author of the phase III trial showing the efficacy of ipilimumab plus dacarbazine vs. placebo plus dacarbazine in newly diagnosed patients.

• Dr. Vernon K. Sondak, chair of cutaneous oncology and director of surgical education, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute in Tampa.

• Dr. Alexander M.M. Eggermont, general director of the Institut de Cancérologie Gustave Roussy in Villejuif, France.

Question: Should ipilimumab and vemurafenib be used together?

Everyone we asked said no, not outside of a clinical trial at least for now. No one knows whether the combination is safe or effective.

Dr. Chapman: We are about to start a phase III trial combining these to see if it is safe and making sure that vemurafenib does not inhibit the effect of ipilimumab. We all hope that this will result in sustained complete responses. That is what we all are looking for.

Dr. Wolchok: The natural next step that many of us are considering is how to integrate these two forms of therapy together. Vemurafenib directly targets the tumor by inhibiting BRAF kinase; ipilimumab really treats the patient by starting an immune reaction that hopefully will control the disease. These are very different approaches to cancer therapy. They are in no way mutually exclusive, and I believe them to be quite complementary.

I think it is important that the combination be explored in a clinical trial because I could make a list of reasons why these two drugs would work together; I could also create a list of reasons why they might not work well together and may even be antagonists. So, I think before oncologists begin to combine potentially approved medications outside of clinical trials, we [need to] have some idea that this is a safe and effective way to go. Until then, I think monotherapy is the best path forward outside of a clinical trial.

Dr. Sondak: If you combine ipilimumab with something else, sometimes the side effects aren't what you expect. Don't just take a patient and give them both and see what happens. That's not safe. You have to do this in a controlled way a research study as quickly as possible because it is the obvious next question.

Dr. Eggermont: I think at this point they should wait at least for the safety data on the combination.

Question: So which agent would you use first in a patient who has a BRAF mutation?

Again, there was unanimity – with respect to the patient who is very, very sick.

Dr. Chapman: I think that is a question is that is still open. Where I am on this question right now is that for a patient who is relatively well, who has a fairly good performance status, I would think about using ipilimumab first because that person may have time to respond to ipilimumab since it does take 3-6 months to have the full effect. On the other hand, a person who has a poor performance status and is sick and does not have time to respond to ipilimumab I would treat that person up-front with vemurafenib.

Dr. Sondak: I think there is going to be uniform agreement throughout the melanoma community that if you have a BRAF-mutant patient with widespread disease, symptomatic disease, high tumor burden that person is going to go immediately on to vemurafenib because nothing else is going to get a rapid response, a rapid resolution of symptoms.

The question is going to be [what to do] for 80% of patients who are BRAF mutant but have much less acute symptomatic disease. Maybe they have some lung metastases, some subcutaneous nodules, [and] they can't have it all removed surgically but they are still not in dire straits. And I think at our institution we are going to be very motivated to continue to use the immunologic therapies – the IL-2 for some patients, and ipilimumab for many patients because of the possibility that they will get a big benefit at the other end, not an immediate benefit but a long-term benefit. And then if that doesn't work, I think vemurafenib.

Dr. Eggermont: BRAF-positive patients especially the ones that have rapidly progressive disease or bulky disease that have little time – they will all be treated up front with the BRAF inhibitor. The BRAF-positive patients that have very small disease that is not rapidly progressing could actually also be managed by ipilimumab on first line and only on progression be managed by the BRAF inhibitor because ipilimumab needs more time to work with patients, to kick into activity and into an antitumor effect. … All BRAF-negative patients would see ipilimumab in first line. That is for sure.

Question: The ipilimumab trial paired ipilimumab with dacarbazine. Is DTIC still an option?

Dr. Wolchok: Looking at the result as someone who has been taking care of patients with melanoma using ipilimumab for several years, I think it is still unknown whether dacarbazine should be added. My own opinion would be to oncologists in the community that if they are going to give ipilimumab at 3 mg/kg to stick with the monotherapy label because we really don't have data comparing ipilimumab with dacarbazine alone at that dose. And so I think we stick with what we know produces an overall survival benefit.

There are reasons to imagine the addition of dacarbazine could make results better by killing some cancer cells and releasing some antigenic debris that would serve as a target for the immune system. Chemotherapy can also be thought of as changing the tumor microenvironment, which might be advantageous, but chemotherapy could also be immunosuppressive. So we could really make a case either way that dacarbazine added to or detracted from or left things just the same.

Question: Will interleukin-2 still have a role in melanoma treatment?

Dr. Sondak: I am still going to use IL-2, and it makes the most sense if you have someone who uses IL-2 most of time, you will want to use that first before you use anything else. Why? Ipilimumab is tough on the patient. We want them in as good shape as possible. … We know if they get IL-2 first and then get ipilimumab; the results are just as good, if not better. We don't know the opposite way. And we also know that a lot of people on ipilimumab get side effects. They wind up on steroids and other immunosuppressive drugs that would make it very difficult to put them on IL-2.

Vemurafenib is going to change a lot of things. A lot of people are too far gone to have surgery, too far gone to have IL-2. Now we have BRAF mutant melanoma [patients] who will get vemurafenib, and shrink down… If we could keep a close eye and figure out when is right time, we are going to do more surgery and maybe IL-2 in those patients because we are going to restore them to place where IL-2 is going to have more room to work. But it's not going to be 80% of people getting IL-2. It is going to be a very restricted group of people treated by a very specialized group of doctors.

Dr. Eggermont: I think IL-2 will move down in the options list. IL-2 will remain as an option in second or third line, and IL-2 will also be an option in combination with ipilimumab because [Dr.] Steve Rosenberg already did a trial in 36 patients … and the majority of the complete responders are alive 6 years and longer and are still in complete remission (ASCO 2010, Abstract 8544). The combination of IL-2 and ipilimumab will be relaunched, I am sure.

Question: And interferon – Where will it fit in?

Dr. Sondak: We don't know how long we should treat people, how intensively, and how we should combine the new and the old, and the data that we have just doesn't sort it out. On the other hand, if you look at the whole landscape, it actually makes adjuvant treatment with interferon more important now than it used to be.

It's very clear that interferon treatment does delay recurrences in a substantial fraction of patients. It may not cure many people, but it delays recurrence in quite a few people, and right now today we are so much better off than we were in melanoma 2 years ago and I have no doubt that 2 years from now just with stuff we heard about at this meeting we will be much more clear on how do we use how do we take care of side effects not to mention other new exciting drugs that we hope 2 years from now will start to be available.

In the past we debated, does it even matter that we delay recurrence. The ASCO answer should be, "It absolutely matters to our patients." So interferon and any form of adjuvant therapy is suddenly a bridge. It is a shaky bridge – made with some ropes and a few planks – it isn't very sturdy to walk on, but we're trying to get from here, one place where it was safe to another place where hopefully we are better off and not at the bottom of ravine. It's real exciting – not just the data we already have but for the future and how many patients this will affect positively.

Dr. Eggermont: I think you need to separate the new drugs from the question, what are we going to do in adjuvant? In adjuvant right now, we will still have to wait for about 2.5-3 years for the outcome of the EORTC trial that randomized in double-blind ipilimumab vs. observation in patients with high-risk lymph node positive disease. That answer about ipilimumab in the adjuvant situation will not be there before 2.5 years from now. That means that until then there is only one kid on the block in the adjuvant setting, which is regular interferon, and the currently novel approach of pegylated interferon.

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Replies
        MariaH
        Participant

Very nice article – thank you for posting Jerry.  I didn't know that Rosenburg had a trial combining IL-2 and IPI.  Is listed at on the clinical trials website?

MariaH
          Participant

Very nice article – thank you for posting Jerry.  I didn't know that Rosenburg had a trial combining IL-2 and IPI.  Is listed at on the clinical trials website?

jim Breitfeller
            Participant

Jerry,

"Dr. Eggermont: I think IL-2 will move down in the options list. IL-2 will remain as an option in second or third line, and IL-2 will also be an option in combination with ipilimumab because [Dr.] Steve Rosenberg already did a trial in 36 patients … and the majority of the complete responders are alive 6 years and longer and are still in complete remission (ASCO 2010, Abstract 8544). The combination of IL-2 and ipilimumab will be relaunched, I am sure."

WE NEED TO FOCUS ON THE CURE!!!

COMBINATION THERAPY

Best regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
              Participant

Jerry,

"Dr. Eggermont: I think IL-2 will move down in the options list. IL-2 will remain as an option in second or third line, and IL-2 will also be an option in combination with ipilimumab because [Dr.] Steve Rosenberg already did a trial in 36 patients … and the majority of the complete responders are alive 6 years and longer and are still in complete remission (ASCO 2010, Abstract 8544). The combination of IL-2 and ipilimumab will be relaunched, I am sure."

WE NEED TO FOCUS ON THE CURE!!!

COMBINATION THERAPY

Best regards,

Jimmy B

boot2aboot
                Participant

thanks Jerry for that info…

boots

boot2aboot
                  Participant

boots

boot2aboot
                    Participant

boots

NYKaren
                        Participant

Hi Jerry,

How precipitous is your post.  I saw Dr. Sznol at Yale New Haven on Thursday, and I'm starting IL-2 on Tuesday (On Monday, the Pic line people are on vacation–I'm actually glad for the delay, it gives me one more day to prepare.

Dr. Sznol says I will be his first patient to first do IPI and then IL-2.  

He quoted 5% durable response, 15% some response.

He also said their protocal is a little different; they don't aim for 14-15 bags of 600K, they  use 720K 2/x day, max 8 doses.

It's one week in, one week home, repeat.  If I'm responding at all after  scans 6-8 weeks later, do the regimin again.

He's also excited about an anti PD1therapy, not MDAX-1106, but a new one that (he says) will be available in October manufactured in Israel.

So, he's quite optimistic.  He ordered a brain MRI and abdominal CT, which I had before work on Friday, picked up the CD's AFTER work Friday and got home exausted.  He was worried about my stamina, but I think running up & down the subway stairs and running after the Sloan shuttle, I proved myself!

So thanks for your timely post.

Karen

jim Breitfeller
                          Participant

Karen,

I read your post and I am very interested in your therapy of IPI then IL-2.

First, when was your last dose of Ipi?

Did you do any chemo or radiation before Ipi?

How is you your tumor load?  Do you have many and where?

The reason I am asking is there is a research paper out there by Blattman et al., 2003

Therapeutic use of IL-2 to enhance antiviral T-cell responses in vivo"

http://www.box.net/shared/109rgqkvqd

Based on the paper, timing of IL-2 administration and differentiation status of the T cell are critical parameters in designing IL-2 therapies.

IL-2 treatment during the expansion phase was detrimental to the survival of rapidly dividing effector T cells.

In contrast, IL-2 therapy was highly beneficial during the death phase, resulting in increased proliferation and survival of Tumor-specific T cells.

You want to add the IL-2 during the contraction phase of the CD4 T-cells. About 49 days after the administration of IPI.

I believe there is a washout period of at least 30 days.

I wish you all the best.

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                            Participant

Karen,

The reason I am asking is there is a research paper out there by Blattman et al., 2003

Based on the paper, timing of IL-2 administration and differentiation status of the T cell are critical parameters in designing IL-2 therapies.

IL-2 treatment during the expansion phase was detrimental to the survival of rapidly dividing effector T cells.

In contrast, IL-2 therapy was highly beneficial during the death phase, resulting in increased proliferation and survival of Tumor-specific T cells.

You want to add the IL-2 during the contraction phase of the CD4 T-cells. About 49 days after the administration of IPI.

I wish you all the best.

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                              Participant

Karen,

I wish you all the best.

Jimmy B

NYKaren
                                Participant

Jimmy, I start IL-2 on Tueday, Thursday will be 15 weeks.  

NYKaren
                                  Participant

Jimmy, I start IL-2 on Tueday, Thursday will be 15 weeks.  

jim Breitfeller
                                    Participant

Karen,

I wish you all the best.

Jimmy B

NYKaren
                                      Participant

Hi Jerry,

How precipitous is your post.  I saw Dr. Sznol at Yale New Haven on Thursday, and I'm starting IL-2 on Tuesday (On Monday, the Pic line people are on vacation–I'm actually glad for the delay, it gives me one more day to prepare.

Dr. Sznol says I will be his first patient to first do IPI and then IL-2.  

He quoted 5% durable response, 15% some response.

He also said their protocal is a little different; they don't aim for 14-15 bags of 600K, they  use 720K 2/x day, max 8 doses.

It's one week in, one week home, repeat.  If I'm responding at all after  scans 6-8 weeks later, do the regimin again.

He's also excited about an anti PD1therapy, not MDAX-1106, but a new one that (he says) will be available in October manufactured in Israel.

So, he's quite optimistic.  He ordered a brain MRI and abdominal CT, which I had before work on Friday, picked up the CD's AFTER work Friday and got home exausted.  He was worried about my stamina, but I think running up & down the subway stairs and running after the Sloan shuttle, I proved myself!

So thanks for your timely post.

Karen

boot2aboot
                                      Participant

boots

POW
                                        Participant

This interview was published a year ago (October 2011). Does anybody have any information about the Zelboraf/Ipi combo trial as of now? Was anything said about that trial at this year's ASCO meeting?

I think we all know that when Zelboraf (a drug) works, it works quickly but only lasts an average of 6-8 months. Ipi (Yervoy) is completely different; it is a monoclonal antibody. It takes several months to work but when it does, the effect lasts longer– perhaps for years although it's too soon to know yet. This is becoming especially important because reports are appearing that when tumor cells become resistant to Zelboraf they become more aggressive. When a patient relapses on Zelboraf, there may not be enough time for Ipi to exert its effect. That is why a lot of patients and physicians are interested in combining the two treatments. Anybody (TimMRF?) have any updated info?

POW
                                          Participant

This interview was published a year ago (October 2011). Does anybody have any information about the Zelboraf/Ipi combo trial as of now? Was anything said about that trial at this year's ASCO meeting?

I think we all know that when Zelboraf (a drug) works, it works quickly but only lasts an average of 6-8 months. Ipi (Yervoy) is completely different; it is a monoclonal antibody. It takes several months to work but when it does, the effect lasts longer– perhaps for years although it's too soon to know yet. This is becoming especially important because reports are appearing that when tumor cells become resistant to Zelboraf they become more aggressive. When a patient relapses on Zelboraf, there may not be enough time for Ipi to exert its effect. That is why a lot of patients and physicians are interested in combining the two treatments. Anybody (TimMRF?) have any updated info?

POW
                                            Participant

Viewing 10 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics