The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Regarding Interferon from one who was there

Forums General Melanoma Community Regarding Interferon from one who was there

Participant

Interferon is one of the most divisive subjects, it seems.  I appreciated the pros and cons as we were making a decision for my husband, but it seems to be one of those treatments that can bring about extreme comments. Let's help each other make informed decisions, not tear down when people are already at a tough spot in life.

Interferon is one of the most divisive subjects, it seems.  I appreciated the pros and cons as we were making a decision for my husband, but it seems to be one of those treatments that can bring about extreme comments. Let's help each other make informed decisions, not tear down when people are already at a tough spot in life.

My husband did interferon for 10 months, and, while it was hard, we don't regret it for a moment.  He is one that has done well, so far.  Was it due to interferon?  We'll never know, but he's still here, and we really had expections of something much worse than what we have.  His was extremely deep, lymph nodes matted, and is 3C.  He has been NED for over 2 years, and we're thankful for every doctor, surgery and treatment that helped him achieve this.  Even with a different outcome, I probably wouldn't feel we had done the wrong thing.

Has it been easy?  No.  He worked half days, and could barely make it home.  He has ringing in his ears, and it took about 7 months to really seem like himself again.  He wears down quicker, but so do I! 

The important things have already been mentioned….anti-depressants, huge amounts of water, bananas, family support, and discipline to keep some manner of normality.  He also needed some anti-anxiety medication, can't remember what it was. 

I do believe that if you really trust your physician and he recommends it, he probably has a reason for it.  Ask him why he suggests interferon rather than something else, and listen to what he says.  Interferon keeps coming back up here, so, obviously, melanoma oncologists aren't ready to throw it out the window.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        eaca
        Participant

From one who's about to start treatment, thank you for the rational, informed point of view that you shared.

I wish you and your husband all the best in your continued fight.

Elisa

eaca
          Participant

From one who's about to start treatment, thank you for the rational, informed point of view that you shared.

I wish you and your husband all the best in your continued fight.

Elisa

Donna M.
            Participant

Thank you from me too.  I start Monday.  While I can appreciate everyone's POV on it, we all have to do what we have to do.  For me, that means not sitting around doing nothing.

Best to you and your husband!

Donna

Cooper
                Participant

I too had deep matted nodes and a deep primary, 4mm.  I am feeling great today, 4 years later, NED and I did not choose interferon.  I instead worked on keeping my immune system healthy.  So there are always two sides to the coins.

Cooper
                  Participant

I too had deep matted nodes and a deep primary, 4mm.  I am feeling great today, 4 years later, NED and I did not choose interferon.  I instead worked on keeping my immune system healthy.  So there are always two sides to the coins.

Donna M.
                  Participant

Thank you from me too.  I start Monday.  While I can appreciate everyone's POV on it, we all have to do what we have to do.  For me, that means not sitting around doing nothing.

Best to you and your husband!

Donna

Wendi Lynn
                    Participant

I am 9 months in on Interferon.  The first month was tough.  My blood pressure dropped and they finally decided to give me a bag of fluid as well.  That helped.  Headaches are a constant…some worse than others.  Nausea occurs occasionally.  Hair loss started about 3-4 months in.  Bad enough that I have to wear a wig to be presentable, but I still have some hair – not bald.  Tastebuds are off.  Shots aren't fun, but I have my husband give them to me so I don't really do anything but sit there. 

My oncologist said he has a new patient getting ready to start interferon and asked me what I would tell them.  I said everything is tolerable.  And if this gives me a few years of NED, it's well worth it.  Even if it doesn't, I don't have to wonder "what if".

To all those currently on or getting ready to start interferon…..you can do this!! 

Wendi Lynn
                      Participant

I am 9 months in on Interferon.  The first month was tough.  My blood pressure dropped and they finally decided to give me a bag of fluid as well.  That helped.  Headaches are a constant…some worse than others.  Nausea occurs occasionally.  Hair loss started about 3-4 months in.  Bad enough that I have to wear a wig to be presentable, but I still have some hair – not bald.  Tastebuds are off.  Shots aren't fun, but I have my husband give them to me so I don't really do anything but sit there. 

My oncologist said he has a new patient getting ready to start interferon and asked me what I would tell them.  I said everything is tolerable.  And if this gives me a few years of NED, it's well worth it.  Even if it doesn't, I don't have to wonder "what if".

To all those currently on or getting ready to start interferon…..you can do this!! 

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics