The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Red/Purple circular spot in wle scar

Forums General Melanoma Community Red/Purple circular spot in wle scar

Participant

I was diagnosed with melanoma in situ 5 years ago which was removed with a wide excision successfully.  I was just looking at my scar and noticed a darkened area on scar line, it is subtle, but appears to be a purple/red spot right in area of the melanoma mole.  What does a local recurrence look like?  Should I be looking for more of a mole or could a purple spot also be something to concern myself with?  Do scars evolve this many  years out? 

I was diagnosed with melanoma in situ 5 years ago which was removed with a wide excision successfully.  I was just looking at my scar and noticed a darkened area on scar line, it is subtle, but appears to be a purple/red spot right in area of the melanoma mole.  What does a local recurrence look like?  Should I be looking for more of a mole or could a purple spot also be something to concern myself with?  Do scars evolve this many  years out? 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Probably nothing .But go get it checked out.Any thing out of ordinary is potentially a warning sign.Better to be paranoid than wait and see attitude.Agressive is the only way to be when it comes to melanoma.My prayers with you.  Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Probably nothing .But go get it checked out.Any thing out of ordinary is potentially a warning sign.Better to be paranoid than wait and see attitude.Agressive is the only way to be when it comes to melanoma.My prayers with you.  Al

aldakota22
            Participant

SoCalDave
              Participant

Sounds like my story except it didn't wait 5 years to come back, mine came back within a couple of months. Exact same as you describe. I had clear margins as well. So far they've removed about 25 "re-occurences", all right near or on the original site. We've been using DPCP and in the last 4 months I haven't had a re-occurence.

Get it checked asap!

Dave.

mlbjab
                  Participant

I will make an appointment to get it checked, it is almost time for my yearly skin exam anyway.  I did notice, that when I push on it it disappears and then when I stop pushing it comes back, like veins or something.  

dian in spokane
                    Participant

try to keep your hands off of it till your appointment!

๐Ÿ™‚

dian in spokane
                      Participant

๐Ÿ™‚

dian in spokane
                        Participant

๐Ÿ™‚

Janner
                          Participant

It could easily be that – just blood vessels.  Melanoma doesn't "blanch" when you press on it.  But at the same time, better safe than sorry.  Anything really new and different should be shown to your doctor.  Fingers crossed it is nothing more than ugly veins!

Janner

Janner
                            Participant

It could easily be that – just blood vessels.  Melanoma doesn't "blanch" when you press on it.  But at the same time, better safe than sorry.  Anything really new and different should be shown to your doctor.  Fingers crossed it is nothing more than ugly veins!

Janner

Janner
                              Participant

Janner

mlbjab
                                Participant

I will make an appointment to get it checked, it is almost time for my yearly skin exam anyway.  I did notice, that when I push on it it disappears and then when I stop pushing it comes back, like veins or something.  

mlbjab
                                  Participant

SoCalDave
                                  Participant

Sounds like my story except it didn't wait 5 years to come back, mine came back within a couple of months. Exact same as you describe. I had clear margins as well. So far they've removed about 25 "re-occurences", all right near or on the original site. We've been using DPCP and in the last 4 months I haven't had a re-occurence.

Get it checked asap!

Dave.

SoCalDave
                                    Participant

Get it checked asap!

Dave.

barb3246
                                      Participant

I was looking at my WLE scar from my in-situ this morning, and I noticed there is a small red/purple mark (maybe 2 mm?) to the left of the scar. It almost looks like a tiny blood blister, but it is completely flat and not raised. My WLE was done about 5 months ago.  Should I be worried?

barb3246
                                        Participant

I was looking at my WLE scar from my in-situ this morning, and I noticed there is a small red/purple mark (maybe 2 mm?) to the left of the scar. It almost looks like a tiny blood blister, but it is completely flat and not raised. My WLE was done about 5 months ago.  Should I be worried?

barb3246
                                          Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics