The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Recurrence at 7 weeks???

Forums General Melanoma Community Recurrence at 7 weeks???

Participant

Hi all,

I am only 7 weeks post-op from a WLE on my back, and SNB (neg).  2 days ago, I noticed a new spot about 2 inches from my fresh scar and had my daughter check it out.  She said it looked like a "popped pimple"…   so I thought nothing of it.   However, it seems to be evolving rather quickly…  Today she looked at it again, and it is bigger and now dark red with a darker brown spot on the side.  It feels exactly like the original primary… itches like crazy but stings and burns when I touch it.  I had her take a close up pic, and it even looks like a "mini me" version of the original. 

If the beast is back, would it be considered a local recurrence or an in transit met?  I find it hard to believe that a recurrence would happen this quickly, especially given the huge margins my surgeon took.  He initially said the incision would be 6 cm total, but it ended up being 6+INCHES.  Still not sure why.  

Has anyone heard of this kind of recurrence so quickly after a WLE?  I know I "shouldn't worry until we know for sure", but easier said than done, right?  The idea of doing this surgery/recovery again so soon is freaking me out!       

Appreciate any insight… 

Hope everyone is having a great week!!  ๐Ÿ™‚  

xxoo

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Hi Mindy,

Unfortunately you can recur at anytime, so have it checked out.  But it's also possible that it's something else.

After my WLE, SNB and LDN, I rejected the internal dissolvable stitches.  My body just sent them packing to the surface (yes, gross, I know).  I seemingly had hundreds of them popping up all around my WLE site. And they itched and stung like crazy.  After going to the dr a few times and having them removed, I got comfortable with removing them.  But before I knew what the were I though they were mel coming back.  

Get it checked out.  It may be nothing (like stitches coming out) but if it's something getting on it early is a good thing.

Wishing you all the best,

Shalom,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
          Participant

Hi Mindy,

Unfortunately you can recur at anytime, so have it checked out.  But it's also possible that it's something else.

After my WLE, SNB and LDN, I rejected the internal dissolvable stitches.  My body just sent them packing to the surface (yes, gross, I know).  I seemingly had hundreds of them popping up all around my WLE site. And they itched and stung like crazy.  After going to the dr a few times and having them removed, I got comfortable with removing them.  But before I knew what the were I though they were mel coming back.  

Get it checked out.  It may be nothing (like stitches coming out) but if it's something getting on it early is a good thing.

Shalom,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
            Participant

Hi Mindy,

Shalom,

Julie

Kim K
              Participant

Could also be the deeper sutures working their way to the surface, especially the knot ends.  PDS takes weeks to months to dissolve and is usually dark purple in color so could be a suture remant.  Regardless, have it looked at, but I would put money on that first before a reoccurance.  I have had that happen to me with my many surgeries that were not related to melanoma.  Vicryl is also a dyed suture (usually).

Tends to happen more on a very mobile area, the underlying sutures rub against the covering skin tissues eventually rubbing a hole causing it to become exposed.  Thinnly skinned areas are also more prone ex. dog spays along the midline unless you have a overconditioned animal.

Don't panic, just get it checked.

Kim K
                Participant

Could also be the deeper sutures working their way to the surface, especially the knot ends.  PDS takes weeks to months to dissolve and is usually dark purple in color so could be a suture remant.  Regardless, have it looked at, but I would put money on that first before a reoccurance.  I have had that happen to me with my many surgeries that were not related to melanoma.  Vicryl is also a dyed suture (usually).

Tends to happen more on a very mobile area, the underlying sutures rub against the covering skin tissues eventually rubbing a hole causing it to become exposed.  Thinnly skinned areas are also more prone ex. dog spays along the midline unless you have a overconditioned animal.

Kim K
                  Participant

JoshF
                    Participant

Mindy-

I am about 6 weeks out from 3rd surgery on my cheek. I had a very similar situation about a week ago. It was like a big pimple, red and just odd. It ended up oozing after hot compress and then as it dried out over the last couple days I noticed a little redish & white fleck. My wife's friend who is nurse said it's a suture…sure enough she pulled out close to a 1" piece. I know the panic and anxiety…many of us have been there too any times. Try to take it easy and be diligent. If you're not getting any peace…go get it looked at.

Josh

MindyD
                        Participant

I hadn't even thought about the suture possibility!  It does appear to be shrinking and becoming less "angry" after scabbing over.  Still haven't seen anything like a suture, but as long as it's going away, I don't care.  ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Thanks to all for the response and support! 

MindyD
                          Participant

I hadn't even thought about the suture possibility!  It does appear to be shrinking and becoming less "angry" after scabbing over.  Still haven't seen anything like a suture, but as long as it's going away, I don't care.  ๐Ÿ™‚ 

MindyD
                            Participant

JoshF
                            Participant

Mindy-

I am about 6 weeks out from 3rd surgery on my cheek. I had a very similar situation about a week ago. It was like a big pimple, red and just odd. It ended up oozing after hot compress and then as it dried out over the last couple days I noticed a little redish & white fleck. My wife's friend who is nurse said it's a suture…sure enough she pulled out close to a 1" piece. I know the panic and anxiety…many of us have been there too any times. Try to take it easy and be diligent. If you're not getting any peace…go get it looked at.

Josh

JoshF
                              Participant

Mindy-

Josh

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics