The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Recurrence?

Forums General Melanoma Community Recurrence?

Participant

Hi, I haven’t checked in in a while…my son was first diagnosed as 3B. Primary in the right forearm, clnd. He started on ipi, but stopped due to adverse reaction. Had a recurrence in the epitrochlear lymph node of the right arm.  He had radiation and then completed one year on nivo. It has been almost 6months since his last treatment, and his scans have been good except for some ground glass inflammation in his lung.  A few days ago he pointed out a lump in the back of his neck. There had been a very small lump there ( small bb sized) for a couple of years which the onc dismissed as nothing. Now it has grown to the size of a grape .  It is hard and reminds me very much of the met in his arm . For him to point it out at all means he is nervous. For him to have contacted his nurse (which he did) means he’s very nervous. The answer was that he has scans scheduled in two weeks anyway and they will see what’s going on then .  I am trying to be positive,and it could be something innocent, but can’t help but feel it’s back.  The scans are in two weeks, the follow up appointment for results  is almost three weeks later. Just not sure we should wait on this given the location.  If any of you out there have some advice I would really appreciate it!! I am a little stressed right now as my husband just had a parotidectomy yesterday and we are waiting for the biopsy results on that…the tumor was partially encapsulated and inflamed and involved the nerves and masseter muscle. And, just for kicks, my one dog has mammary gland cancer, and my other dog was just diagnosed with inoperable liver and pancreas cancer…so, good times, lol!  So maybe I am just in crazy mom mode, but I can’t help but feel that Mel is back. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Sorry for all that you are dealing with!!!  While I would want that area biopsied "yesterday", I think while frustrating, the time frame set forth for scans and recheck is not problematic as far as potential melanoma and need to treat….just difficut because of waiting to "know".  Your son might be able to ask that he be put on a cancelation list if he is able to fit in such a thing or if he is interested.  Hopefully it wil be nothing to worry about…but checking it out thoroughly, which they seem to be planning to do….sounds appropriate.  Hang in there.  celeste

Dhva
            Participant

Thanks for your suggestion, Celeste.  Waiting is hard.  I hope you are doing well and send my best wishes!

lkb
            Participant

Much to deal with! I'd like to echo one of Celeste's excellent ideas, that of checking for a cancellation. I've had good results doing that and the schedulers never seem to mind the request. I'm told that the beginning of the day and the end of the day are the most likely hours for appointment changes, so that's when I call. Wishing you all the best. Keep us posted.

Dhva
                Participant

Thanks for your response.  You all get how stressful waiting can be.  Waiting on my husband’s report now,and finding it very hard to believe the enlarged node in the right side of the back of my son’s neck can be anything other than Mel.  It feels so similar to the one in his right epitrochlear lymph node . We do realize if it is back, he’s lucky as long as it’s operable, but, still nerve wracking.  Thanks for your understanding.

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics