The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

recommentation for moisturizer with spf 30

Forums General Melanoma Community recommentation for moisturizer with spf 30

Participant

Recently diagnosed as stage 2a.  Dermatologist recommended I use a sunscreen every day on hands and face.  Anyone have a recommendation for something tolerable – light and easy to use, not heavy, tacky or greasy?  Thanks!

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        ldub
        Participant

I've tried two and like them both – Neutrogena Healthy Skin Daily Defense with SPF 50 and Cerave AM Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30.  Thinking that I like Neutrogena a bit more.

ldub
          Participant

I've tried two and like them both – Neutrogena Healthy Skin Daily Defense with SPF 50 and Cerave AM Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30.  Thinking that I like Neutrogena a bit more.

ldub
            Participant

Gene_S
              Participant

Coconut oil in a natural sunscreen and good as a moisturizer.  I don't put poison on my skin to bake it in.  I instead use a smart approach like 10 minutes in the sun a couple times a day so I get my vitamin D naturally.

Gene_S
                Participant

Coconut oil in a natural sunscreen and good as a moisturizer.  I don't put poison on my skin to bake it in.  I instead use a smart approach like 10 minutes in the sun a couple times a day so I get my vitamin D naturally.

Gene_S
                  Participant

Richard_K
                    Participant

I use Aveeno Protect +Hydrate, broad spectrum SPF 50 for face, although I also use on my arms and hands. I find it non-greasy and virtually odor free. For me, it's not about being in the sun for ten minutes to get some vitamin D, put to be able to spend time in the sun and enjoy doing things.

Richard_K
                      Participant

I use Aveeno Protect +Hydrate, broad spectrum SPF 50 for face, although I also use on my arms and hands. I find it non-greasy and virtually odor free. For me, it's not about being in the sun for ten minutes to get some vitamin D, put to be able to spend time in the sun and enjoy doing things.

Richard_K
                        Participant

Richard_K
                            Participant

I should have made a comment about Zelboraf.  You may or may not know about one of its side effects, side effects – extreme photosensitivity. Next week will mark 5 1/2 years for me on Zelboraf and Aveeno has been my "go to" sunscreen.

Richard_K
                              Participant

I should have made a comment about Zelboraf.  You may or may not know about one of its side effects, side effects – extreme photosensitivity. Next week will mark 5 1/2 years for me on Zelboraf and Aveeno has been my "go to" sunscreen.

Richard_K
                                Participant

Want2help
                                Participant

My friends have recommended "Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Face Lotion" with SPF 30 for the face. I have tried it as a sample and will buy it.

Want2help
                                  Participant

My friends have recommended "Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Face Lotion" with SPF 30 for the face. I have tried it as a sample and will buy it.

Want2help
                                    Participant

stars
                                      Participant

I've heard from docs that it's better to go with something affordable and really slather it on, than go for something luxiurious/expensive and be too sparing with it. The Aveena sounds amazing – I'd go for 50 over 30, assuming it's both UV A and B blocking.

stars
                                        Participant

I've heard from docs that it's better to go with something affordable and really slather it on, than go for something luxiurious/expensive and be too sparing with it. The Aveena sounds amazing – I'd go for 50 over 30, assuming it's both UV A and B blocking.

stars
                                          Participant

Richard_K
                                              Participant

FYI, the Aveeno I referenced is both UVA and UVB

Richard_K
                                                Participant

Richard_K
                                                  Participant

DZnDef
                                                  Participant

I use absolutely nothing on my skin as I do not want to absorb the chemicals.  I live at the beach in Southern California and walk on the beach regularly.   I wear a big hat and bring layers.  I like to make sure I get at least a few minutes every day of sunshine on my skin and then add the layers when I've had enough.  I have an SPF 30 swimshirt with hood I use when I swim.

DZnDef
                                                    Participant

I use absolutely nothing on my skin as I do not want to absorb the chemicals.  I live at the beach in Southern California and walk on the beach regularly.   I wear a big hat and bring layers.  I like to make sure I get at least a few minutes every day of sunshine on my skin and then add the layers when I've had enough.  I have an SPF 30 swimshirt with hood I use when I swim.

Gene_S
                                                        Participant

I agree with you.  Nothing on my skin would have any sunscreen in it as that is another chemical to be absorbed.  We have to many chemicals that are absorbed through the skin or eaten which maybe why so much cancer now.

Did you know that coconut oil is a natural sunscreen.

Gene_S
                                                          Participant

I agree with you.  Nothing on my skin would have any sunscreen in it as that is another chemical to be absorbed.  We have to many chemicals that are absorbed through the skin or eaten which maybe why so much cancer now.

Gene_S
                                                            Participant

DZnDef
                                                            Participant

amelanomajourney
                                                              Participant

I really like cetaphil – I use the oil-absorbing one for my skin.  I've tried some of the natural brands like Green Beaver, but find them too greasy and thick.  Cetaphil is rated 2 on EWG – it's not perfect but it does the trick for me without causing major breakouts.

amelanomajourney
                                                                Participant

I really like cetaphil – I use the oil-absorbing one for my skin.  I've tried some of the natural brands like Green Beaver, but find them too greasy and thick.  Cetaphil is rated 2 on EWG – it's not perfect but it does the trick for me without causing major breakouts.

amelanomajourney
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics