The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Recently diagnosed, told not to panic

Forums General Melanoma Community Recently diagnosed, told not to panic

Participant

Good afternoon, I received my pathology report on 8/26/13 and was instantly seen again for removal of a melanoma in-situ. They told me not to panic and that is was all good but I would expect 3 month follow ups for 2 years. I am concerned because everyone around me tells me it's not a big deal but I read words within my report that unnerves me plus the re-excision was quite large (5mm). This is what I had, please let me know (opinons of course) on if I should be concerned or just consider it all taken care of…. " 2mm dark brown macule found to be malignant melanoma. 2x2x1 area of skin initially removed for study. atrophic epidermis with flattened rete, increased number of melanconsytes at the base of epidermis. Tehre is 'buckshot scatter' of these cells into the upper epidermis. The melanocytes course down the hair follicles. There is no dermal invasion but marked solar elastosi. There is a scattered lymphoid infiltrate….. " So they took 5mm the other day in the area.

From what I've read, that seems to be quite a bit for a 2mm, no staged melanoma in-situ. Any feedback?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant
          Actually, it sounds perfectly normal for stage 0 melanoma in situ. 5mm margins are standard for in situ – it doesn’t matter how big or small the initial lesion is. 5mm margins are what I would demand. The best treatment for melanoma is surgery so the margins are preventative medicine. Should you worry? Probably not. Most likely the surgery took care of everything. But watch the scar area for any pigment regrowth. Watch your other moles for change. Practice sun safety. Be vigilant, not paranoid.
            tsykes1
            Participant

Hello Janner 

i am newly diagnosed also with stage 0 in situ,  it is October 2014 and I have had  2 follow ups and all good 

except in July she said I could go until January feeling very nervous because it is 6 months . They did a shave biopsy all I know is the report says :Histologic sections demonstrate contiguous growth of nested and single atypical melanocytes with clef ting and upward migration ,, there is subjacent dermal fibrosis and pigment incontinence , however , diagnostic invasive melanoma is not identified…   What does this mean….? 

Janner you seem very knowledgable about all this , and frankly I am scared and no one told me I need to be checking my lymph nodes … Please advise thanks Terri 

tsykes1
              Participant

Hello Janner 

i am newly diagnosed also with stage 0 in situ,  it is October 2014 and I have had  2 follow ups and all good 

except in July she said I could go until January feeling very nervous because it is 6 months . They did a shave biopsy all I know is the report says :Histologic sections demonstrate contiguous growth of nested and single atypical melanocytes with clef ting and upward migration ,, there is subjacent dermal fibrosis and pigment incontinence , however , diagnostic invasive melanoma is not identified…   What does this mean….? 

Janner you seem very knowledgable about all this , and frankly I am scared and no one told me I need to be checking my lymph nodes … Please advise thanks Terri 

tsykes1
                Participant

Hello Janner 

Janner
                Participant
                  Actually, it sounds perfectly normal for stage 0 melanoma in situ. 5mm margins are standard for in situ – it doesn’t matter how big or small the initial lesion is. 5mm margins are what I would demand. The best treatment for melanoma is surgery so the margins are preventative medicine. Should you worry? Probably not. Most likely the surgery took care of everything. But watch the scar area for any pigment regrowth. Watch your other moles for change. Practice sun safety. Be vigilant, not paranoid.
                  Janner
                  Participant
                    POW
                    Participant

Janner is really, really good at interpreting pathology reports. I trust her judgement and agree with her. Your doctor was very prompt about doing the right thing. Praise your doctor and consider yourself lucky that it was caught so early. 

POW
                      Participant

Janner is really, really good at interpreting pathology reports. I trust her judgement and agree with her. Your doctor was very prompt about doing the right thing. Praise your doctor and consider yourself lucky that it was caught so early. 

POW
                        Participant

HopefulOne
                          Participant

Hi there – my only advice would be to continue to follow-up beyond the two years … not even three months … but annually? Every five years? I would just be diligent – and remember you are your best advocate. Good luck! Kimberly

HopefulOne
                            Participant

Hi there – my only advice would be to continue to follow-up beyond the two years … not even three months … but annually? Every five years? I would just be diligent – and remember you are your best advocate. Good luck! Kimberly

HopefulOne
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics