The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Recently diagnosed Ocular Melanoma [ Oops- reposted from Cutaneous Mel. forum]

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community Recently diagnosed Ocular Melanoma [ Oops- reposted from Cutaneous Mel. forum]

Participant

have seen retinal vitreous Dr in home Pittsburgh   /  all they are offering is 'plaque' temporarily attached to my eyeball —  Radioactive 'seeds' =  Brachytherapy? OR certain Death  — { all I wanted was a New pair of eyeglasses 🙁  } –

At Least they Found this in time' –  thoughts anyone?  

PS internet research demonstrates NEWER  trends in Systemic Immunotherapies –  appreciate any info . . .  other than Radiation in my 'Mostly Good' eye! 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        joelcairo
        Participant

This is the standard treatment for uveal melanoma. The procedure is about 95% successful (no recurrence of the cancer in the eye). The main alternatives are surgery (where possible, usually not) and removal of the eye if plaque therapy is not possible.

The systemic therapies and/or immunotherapies are for metastatic melanoma. You will need to be scanned for spread of the disease, because the primary cancer is not going to be fatal but there is unfortunately a fair chance it can spread, which is very serious. A genetic test can tell you whether your risk of metastasis high or low, and I recommend you have it done. It's scary receiving the results of the test, but it's important for you abd your doctors to have a clear view of your situation.

There are a few online forums that are busier than this one. There is the OCU-MEL mailing list, there is an ocular melanoma Facebook group, and there is an Ocular Melanoma Foundation online forum. You can probably find them all pretty easily in Google. Once you find these, I would suggest doing some reading because there is a lot to know and I don't have the ability to say it all here.

joelcairo
          Participant

This is the standard treatment for uveal melanoma. The procedure is about 95% successful (no recurrence of the cancer in the eye). The main alternatives are surgery (where possible, usually not) and removal of the eye if plaque therapy is not possible.

The systemic therapies and/or immunotherapies are for metastatic melanoma. You will need to be scanned for spread of the disease, because the primary cancer is not going to be fatal but there is unfortunately a fair chance it can spread, which is very serious. A genetic test can tell you whether your risk of metastasis high or low, and I recommend you have it done. It's scary receiving the results of the test, but it's important for you abd your doctors to have a clear view of your situation.

There are a few online forums that are busier than this one. There is the OCU-MEL mailing list, there is an ocular melanoma Facebook group, and there is an Ocular Melanoma Foundation online forum. You can probably find them all pretty easily in Google. Once you find these, I would suggest doing some reading because there is a lot to know and I don't have the ability to say it all here.

joelcairo
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics