The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Recently diagnosed as T1b

Forums General Melanoma Community Recently diagnosed as T1b

Participant

Hi. I am new to this site and have been following it awhile before posting. I was diagnosed on 10/13/15 with melanoma on my calf after a shave biopsy. The mole had been there my whole life and I saw no considerable changes, never itched or anything, but the dermatologist suggested it be biopsied during my annual exam. I had a WLE and SLNB on 10/22/15. I am healing well with after a bad cellulites at the SLNB incision and some stitch spitting at the WLE. I was staged T1b, at least .59mm, mitotic rate of 3, breslow III/IV. Nevoid and desmoplastic. WLE had clear margins and SLNB was negative. I now have checks every 3 months.

My question is in response to some posts of very similiar experiences and then finding it in the lymph nodes years later. If it wasn't there initially, is this usually another primary or it was missed initially. As you can tell, I am confused…..

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        AshleyS
        Participant

I was first diagnosed stage Ib in August 2013. I had a mole that was 1.95 mm on my left calf. PET and SLNB were both clear. In July 2014 I found a lump in my left groin during a self-check. I knew right away my melanoma had spread. I was 20 weeks pregnant at the time. There is no way of knowing if it was missed, if there were trace amounts in my blood, or if my pregnancy caused the rapid progression. 

Here's what you need to know (this is the same thing I tell my brother who was diagnosed as stage Ia in October): the odds are in your favor that you caught it early and it will never progress. Be smart. Practice good sun safety. Do monthly self checks and see your derm regularly. 

Best of luck,

Ashley

AshleyS
          Participant

I was first diagnosed stage Ib in August 2013. I had a mole that was 1.95 mm on my left calf. PET and SLNB were both clear. In July 2014 I found a lump in my left groin during a self-check. I knew right away my melanoma had spread. I was 20 weeks pregnant at the time. There is no way of knowing if it was missed, if there were trace amounts in my blood, or if my pregnancy caused the rapid progression. 

Here's what you need to know (this is the same thing I tell my brother who was diagnosed as stage Ia in October): the odds are in your favor that you caught it early and it will never progress. Be smart. Practice good sun safety. Do monthly self checks and see your derm regularly. 

Best of luck,

Ashley

AshleyS
            Participant

Best of luck,

Ashley

stars
              Participant

Hi

Sorry to hear about your experience. You've had a thin melanoma, totally excised with WLE complete, and a SLNB for good measure. You've done everything right, and everything that you can do. Now, like all melanoma patients, you'll now need to factor in regular checks for:

new primary melanomas, totally unrelated to your first melanoma (for example, I've had three primary melanomas, all unrelated to each other)

recurrence of your original melanoma at the same site or at the nearest lymph node (eg swollen node)

The odds of either happening are quite small percentages, but you need to be aware of the possibility.

By regular checks, I think for T1B you'd need 6-monthly skin checks at your derm's office, he will probably also feel your nodes. In between that you'll just be looking at your skin monthly for any changes or new stuff, and having a little feel around the nearest nodes. Make it a monthly thing, perhaps take photos of your skin to help compare/identify changes. Five minutes a month. Then 1/2 hr with your derm every six months (or whatever interval he recommends, but no more than six monthly for a while).

btcedarr
                  Participant

Thanks for the reply. I did not know that I could get a recurrence in the lymph nodes. I thought it would only be by another primary.

stars
                    Participant

According to my doc (and my understanding), the only melanomas with no potential to spread to nodes are the in situ/stage 0 melanomas. Stage 1 and beyond all have some potential to spread. Risk for stage 1 is very low, and more or less relates directly to Breslow thickness. Under 1mm is considered very low risk.

btcedarr
                      Participant

Thanks!

btcedarr
                        Participant

Thanks!

btcedarr
                          Participant

Thanks!

stars
                            Participant

According to my doc (and my understanding), the only melanomas with no potential to spread to nodes are the in situ/stage 0 melanomas. Stage 1 and beyond all have some potential to spread. Risk for stage 1 is very low, and more or less relates directly to Breslow thickness. Under 1mm is considered very low risk.

stars
                              Participant

btcedarr
                                Participant

Thanks for the reply. I did not know that I could get a recurrence in the lymph nodes. I thought it would only be by another primary.

btcedarr
                                  Participant

stars
                                  Participant

Hi

Sorry to hear about your experience. You've had a thin melanoma, totally excised with WLE complete, and a SLNB for good measure. You've done everything right, and everything that you can do. Now, like all melanoma patients, you'll now need to factor in regular checks for:

new primary melanomas, totally unrelated to your first melanoma (for example, I've had three primary melanomas, all unrelated to each other)

recurrence of your original melanoma at the same site or at the nearest lymph node (eg swollen node)

The odds of either happening are quite small percentages, but you need to be aware of the possibility.

By regular checks, I think for T1B you'd need 6-monthly skin checks at your derm's office, he will probably also feel your nodes. In between that you'll just be looking at your skin monthly for any changes or new stuff, and having a little feel around the nearest nodes. Make it a monthly thing, perhaps take photos of your skin to help compare/identify changes. Five minutes a month. Then 1/2 hr with your derm every six months (or whatever interval he recommends, but no more than six monthly for a while).

stars
                                    Participant

Hi

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics