The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Reason to stay positive and hopeful for a cure

Forums General Melanoma Community Reason to stay positive and hopeful for a cure

Participant

In a recent article posted on OncLive, James Allison on the Future of Checkpoint Inhibitors in Melanoma,  Dr. James Allison stated…"

What is on the horizon for immunotherapy in melanoma?

With the variety of combinations that have come to bear, the response rates are going to continue to go up. I think we are going to get to a point very soon where the majority of patients with late-stage melanoma are going to be able to look toward decades of response. To use the “C” word, I think we are heading toward a cure.

Thanks to all of you who posted recently about your ongoing battles with this demon called melanoma.  We're fighting a good fight and one day soon according to Dr. Allison we just might win!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        AllysonRuth
        Participant

Thank you so much for posting this!  I just read the whole article.  It brings me hope that I might be able to raise my five precious children because of the work of scientists.  What an amazing man whom I am very grateful for.  I can't help but think of all the people between 1995 and 2011 who could have benefitted from his immunology drug who are now gone.  I am on Keytruda and praying my immune system is responding!

AllysonRuth
          Participant

Thank you so much for posting this!  I just read the whole article.  It brings me hope that I might be able to raise my five precious children because of the work of scientists.  What an amazing man whom I am very grateful for.  I can't help but think of all the people between 1995 and 2011 who could have benefitted from his immunology drug who are now gone.  I am on Keytruda and praying my immune system is responding!

AllysonRuth
            Participant

arthurjedi007
              Participant

Thank you for giving me some hope. I really need it. I'm supposed to see my mda doc next week. I hope he's on the same page as this doc and can help me. Decades? Wow. With my worsening disease I've been thinking in months at best.

Artie

AshleyS
                  Participant

Artie,

Dr. Allison is a researcher at MDA. Best of luck at your appointment. 

Ashley

AshleyS
                    Participant

Artie,

Ashley

AshleyS
                      Participant

Artie,

Ashley

arthurjedi007
                      Participant

Thank you for giving me some hope. I really need it. I'm supposed to see my mda doc next week. I hope he's on the same page as this doc and can help me. Decades? Wow. With my worsening disease I've been thinking in months at best.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Artie

kylez
                          Participant

Thanks for posting that article.

Speaking of hope, i'd love to hear what Jim Allison has to say about gut flora (and poop) in relation to immunotherapy. Another recent MPIP thread mentioned studies by UChicago that seemed to indicate that gut flora appears to have a huge influene on the efficacy of ipilimumab, for one.

kylez
                            Participant

Speaking of hope, i'd love to hear what Jim Allison has to say about gut flora (and poop) in relation to immunotherapy. Another recent MPIP thread mentioned studies by UChicago that seemed to indicate that gut flora appears to have a huge influene on the efficacy of ipilimumab, for one.

kylez
                              Participant

kylez
                                Participant

That info is on this MPIP thread.

kylez
                                  Participant

ed williams
                                      Participant

I think it is still early days in the mouse poop research field! I have read some interesting material by Dr. Omid Hamid of the Angeles clinic on developments in human tumor tissue and blood test that will allow in the near future for Oncologist to better advise patients on which of the new Immunotherapies or target therapies will best work based on the new test that are being developed. Ed

ed williams
                                        Participant

I think it is still early days in the mouse poop research field! I have read some interesting material by Dr. Omid Hamid of the Angeles clinic on developments in human tumor tissue and blood test that will allow in the near future for Oncologist to better advise patients on which of the new Immunotherapies or target therapies will best work based on the new test that are being developed. Ed

ed williams
                                          Participant

kylez
                                          Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics