The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Really Stressed Out Waiting For Biopsy Results

Forums General Melanoma Community Really Stressed Out Waiting For Biopsy Results

Participant

I have been really worried about a pink lesion on my upper arm that has been there for 3 months since I had my WLE for an in-situ on the same arm, so I finally called to see if there were any cancellations, and surpisingly they took me last week. He completely removed 6 "interesting" looking moles via punch, and took a punch biopsy in the middle of the red patch on my arm, so a total of 7 biopsies.

I have been really worried about a pink lesion on my upper arm that has been there for 3 months since I had my WLE for an in-situ on the same arm, so I finally called to see if there were any cancellations, and surpisingly they took me last week. He completely removed 6 "interesting" looking moles via punch, and took a punch biopsy in the middle of the red patch on my arm, so a total of 7 biopsies. YIKES!!  He made some comments about "well this one has fuzzy borders", and "this one has an interesting shape", and "that one is very dark". He wouldn't commit to what he thought the pink lesion was, just that "it could be anything". Of course I have already decided that it must be an amelanotic melanoma!

I'm not sure if any of the moles that he removed have changed or not. I never really even noticed a couple of the ones he removed. Several of them looked like the in-situ, which actually didn't look too scary anyways – it was just a small flat mole that was a bit darker than my other moles. Nothing that really alarmed me, so that's why I am worried. I have LOTS of weird looking moles on me. I have had probably 30 moles removed over the years, and most have come back as mild-to-moderately atypical. One was severely atypical, and the most recent was melanoma in-situ. Maybe he is just being extra cautious, which is fine, but I wish he had said something reassuring to me so that I wouldn't be so worried.

Now I'm a nervous wreck!! All I keep thinking is, what if some of these turn out to be melanomas too? I wonder how common it really is to develop multiple primary melanomas.  I've read that its around 10%, but it seems like a LOT of people on this site have developed several, so it seems like maybe the 10% is low.What if I'm not so lucky this time and its more advanced than in-situ? How do I learn to live with this constant fear??????? I really need to get a grip.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Only about 8% of the melanoma population have more than one primary.  You'll probably see a higher percentage here, though.  Why would people with only one primary (like you) stick around for long periods of time?  After the newly diagnosed anxiety wears off, they generally find life more interesting than sticking around here.  AND…. most people who have multiple primaries have their deepest one first!

Watch for change and DON'T try to analyze what the derm says or doesn't say.  Look for that ugly duckling and go on living!  I, personally, only biopsy moles that have changed.  My derm and I will discuss anything that bothers either of us, and then we compare against previous pictures.  If something has changed and looks different from my other moles, it is removed.  Otherwise, I just monitor.

Best wishes,

Janner

Stage I for 19 years, 3 MM primaries

barb3246
            Participant

I just got my biopsy results and I have another in-situ on the inside of my knee. I am absolutely devastated, and cannot stop crying. This is the 2nd one in 3 months!! I don't have a copy of the path report, but the doctor said that the report said severe atypia evolving into melanoma in-situ. It also said that it extended into the margins, so now I'm just terrified that there may be even worse lurking there.  What are the chances that something worse will be found with the WLE?

There was also some mention of a dermal channel or something that was packed with melanocytes like those found in the epidermis – what would that mean? Doesn't in-situ mean that there wouldn't be anything in the dermis? I am so scared right now.

barb3246
              Participant

I just got my biopsy results and I have another in-situ on the inside of my knee. I am absolutely devastated, and cannot stop crying. This is the 2nd one in 3 months!! I don't have a copy of the path report, but the doctor said that the report said severe atypia evolving into melanoma in-situ. It also said that it extended into the margins, so now I'm just terrified that there may be even worse lurking there.  What are the chances that something worse will be found with the WLE?

There was also some mention of a dermal channel or something that was packed with melanocytes like those found in the epidermis – what would that mean? Doesn't in-situ mean that there wouldn't be anything in the dermis? I am so scared right now.

barb3246
                Participant

barb3246
                  Participant

barb3246
                    Participant

barb3246
                      Participant

Janner
                      Participant

Only about 8% of the melanoma population have more than one primary.  You'll probably see a higher percentage here, though.  Why would people with only one primary (like you) stick around for long periods of time?  After the newly diagnosed anxiety wears off, they generally find life more interesting than sticking around here.  AND…. most people who have multiple primaries have their deepest one first!

Watch for change and DON'T try to analyze what the derm says or doesn't say.  Look for that ugly duckling and go on living!  I, personally, only biopsy moles that have changed.  My derm and I will discuss anything that bothers either of us, and then we compare against previous pictures.  If something has changed and looks different from my other moles, it is removed.  Otherwise, I just monitor.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                        Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Hereiam
                          Participant

Hi,

I totally agree, it is not worth worrying so much about what your derm says or not. Of course, it is scary, and once you deal with something even close to melanoma, the fear overtakes you all the time. But, we have such a little time given here on earth. Why destroy it by worrying? Be careful, and monitor your moles closely, but do not overreact – it wont do you any good!

Wishing you all the best,

H

Hereiam
                            Participant

Hi,

I totally agree, it is not worth worrying so much about what your derm says or not. Of course, it is scary, and once you deal with something even close to melanoma, the fear overtakes you all the time. But, we have such a little time given here on earth. Why destroy it by worrying? Be careful, and monitor your moles closely, but do not overreact – it wont do you any good!

H

Hereiam
                              Participant

Hi,

H

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics