The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Realistically, how does interferon alter daily life?

Forums Caregiver Community Realistically, how does interferon alter daily life?

Participant

As I mentioned in my recent, initial post, my husband and I own & operate an organic dairy farm.  He is stage 3b and may be undergoing the standard interferon treatment.  I feel like we need to be very realistic about potential side effects and prepare accordingly, perhaps hiring and training an additional employee.  (We have one employee, and my boys help out as well, but all of these guys have their own limitations, and my husband by far does the bulk of the work.)  

As I mentioned in my recent, initial post, my husband and I own & operate an organic dairy farm.  He is stage 3b and may be undergoing the standard interferon treatment.  I feel like we need to be very realistic about potential side effects and prepare accordingly, perhaps hiring and training an additional employee.  (We have one employee, and my boys help out as well, but all of these guys have their own limitations, and my husband by far does the bulk of the work.)  

My husband wants nothing to do with discussing the worst case scenario.  He insists "nothing will change", a line that doesn't reassure me in the least.  Even if he tolerates the therapy like a trooper, imo things *will* change, and all of this *does* clearly affect me in a very significant way.  I can not simply move forward and act is if it'll be a walk in the park.  I need to know that our business can function properly even when he's not physically and/or mentally able to run the show.

I realize our circumstances are somewhat unique ~ not many dairy farmers around any more! ~ but I'm interested in how others prep for this sort of thing.  And, for that matter, how you handle the tension between spouses over these aspects of the disease & treatment.  I am quickly realize that being the one who's informed, and being the caregiver, might very well be as challenging as being the one with the cancer.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Cheers,

Colleen

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Hi Colleen,   I read your initial post and am so sorry you're here and having to make these difficult decisions.    The problem with predicting the effects of interferon is that they are *very* different for each person.  Some people barely notice while others are debilitated by it.  I have tried to see trends in the reports by MPIP people but it doesn't seem dependent on age, sex, or anything I can identify.    

I did boot camp followed by 6 months of 3 times/week shots.  I quit when I needed a wheelchair to get around.  At the time (2006) my oncologist cited some research suggesting that the boot camp was as effective as the year of shots.  He was not in favor of the weekly shots but I inisisted.  I haven't followed up on the research, but know that it is a controversial treatment.   

Do your research, talk to your onc,  but when you and your husband make that decision don't look back and don't second guess.    

Fen

Fen
          Participant

Hi Colleen,   I read your initial post and am so sorry you're here and having to make these difficult decisions.    The problem with predicting the effects of interferon is that they are *very* different for each person.  Some people barely notice while others are debilitated by it.  I have tried to see trends in the reports by MPIP people but it doesn't seem dependent on age, sex, or anything I can identify.    

I did boot camp followed by 6 months of 3 times/week shots.  I quit when I needed a wheelchair to get around.  At the time (2006) my oncologist cited some research suggesting that the boot camp was as effective as the year of shots.  He was not in favor of the weekly shots but I inisisted.  I haven't followed up on the research, but know that it is a controversial treatment.   

Do your research, talk to your onc,  but when you and your husband make that decision don't look back and don't second guess.    

Fen

Fen
            Participant

Fen

scots
              Participant
                Colleen ,
                I agree with FEN. Everyone one reacts differently. I did one month high dose and completed 11 months low dose. It was not easy. The first month all I did was sleep and goto work. I was very fornutate to have an job that allows me to sit in front of a computer all day and take a breaks when needed. I did not do anything strenous for the entire month. The next 11 months I was able to do more, but still was not easy. If you look up interferon posts you will get a wide variety opinions. Like a lot of others have said you need to make a decision an not look back. For my wife and I we decided to to do everything we could always knowing that I could stop treatments at anytime.

Scot

scots
                Participant
                  Colleen ,
                  I agree with FEN. Everyone one reacts differently. I did one month high dose and completed 11 months low dose. It was not easy. The first month all I did was sleep and goto work. I was very fornutate to have an job that allows me to sit in front of a computer all day and take a breaks when needed. I did not do anything strenous for the entire month. The next 11 months I was able to do more, but still was not easy. If you look up interferon posts you will get a wide variety opinions. Like a lot of others have said you need to make a decision an not look back. For my wife and I we decided to to do everything we could always knowing that I could stop treatments at anytime.

Scot

scots
                  Participant
                    Colleen ,

Scot

audgator
                    Participant

My experience was fairly mild compared to what others have reported. The first month all I did was go for the infusions, go home & veg.  I was glad I didn't have to go to my office job.  I had retired mostly for other reasons.  The rest of the 11 months, I was just tired.  I had always looked forward to playing more golf in retirement and walking on the course as I did when much younger.  So one day I tried.  I only made 3 holes & had to hitch a ride back to the parking lot with a marshall.  I should point out I was in my mid-60s & very out of shape even before diagnosis.  Any stories you get are only anectdotal.  I agree with the above that there is no typical reaction and no way to predict the effects.   Dan

audgator
                      Participant

My experience was fairly mild compared to what others have reported. The first month all I did was go for the infusions, go home & veg.  I was glad I didn't have to go to my office job.  I had retired mostly for other reasons.  The rest of the 11 months, I was just tired.  I had always looked forward to playing more golf in retirement and walking on the course as I did when much younger.  So one day I tried.  I only made 3 holes & had to hitch a ride back to the parking lot with a marshall.  I should point out I was in my mid-60s & very out of shape even before diagnosis.  Any stories you get are only anectdotal.  I agree with the above that there is no typical reaction and no way to predict the effects.   Dan

swissfarm7
                          Participant

Thanks Fen, Scot, and Dan for your replies!.  I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their thoughts.  I do realize there's no one standard answer here.  (It can't be that easy, right?! 😉  If Hans does proceed with the interferon, we can't predict how it will affect him, or to what extent.  But with a farm to take care of on a daily basis, I need for my own sake to go into this prepared not just mentally but logistically.  Just trying to gage how realistic it is for a farmer to expect he'll keep working full-on throughout the treatment.

Cheers,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                            Participant

Thanks Fen, Scot, and Dan for your replies!.  I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their thoughts.  I do realize there's no one standard answer here.  (It can't be that easy, right?! 😉  If Hans does proceed with the interferon, we can't predict how it will affect him, or to what extent.  But with a farm to take care of on a daily basis, I need for my own sake to go into this prepared not just mentally but logistically.  Just trying to gage how realistic it is for a farmer to expect he'll keep working full-on throughout the treatment.

Cheers,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                              Participant

Cheers,

Colleen

audgator
                              Participant

Cooper
                                Participant

Since you are an organic farmer, you know the importance of thinking outside the box you know many things accepted are actually not good for us.. Please do more research as interferon is a drug of the past not shown to extend overall survival.  Any problems with depression will be worsened and possibly permanent too.  You might look to a trial that offers IPI to compare to interferon. Or watch and wait for any recur and take care of it right away.  there is also Oncovex and a few other trials to look into for stage 3, proving more effective and not so toxic.  You want something that actually increases your immune system's abilities not something toxic.

Cooper
                                  Participant

Since you are an organic farmer, you know the importance of thinking outside the box you know many things accepted are actually not good for us.. Please do more research as interferon is a drug of the past not shown to extend overall survival.  Any problems with depression will be worsened and possibly permanent too.  You might look to a trial that offers IPI to compare to interferon. Or watch and wait for any recur and take care of it right away.  there is also Oncovex and a few other trials to look into for stage 3, proving more effective and not so toxic.  You want something that actually increases your immune system's abilities not something toxic.

Cooper
                                    Participant

Mickey n Jo
                                        Participant

Colleen, I completely understand your feelings on being the one informed and the caregiver, as I am in the same situation. (Check my reply to your original post).  What I found works best for us is for me to get all the info I can and present it to my husband for him to make the final determination on his treatment.  He is the one with the disease, and the one who will suffer any side effects from the treatments, so it's only fair  that he has the final say in the matter even though it might not be my choice. It's hard to do, but I think it's really important for him to feel he has some control over the situation.

Take care,     Jo

Mickey n Jo
                                          Participant

Colleen, I completely understand your feelings on being the one informed and the caregiver, as I am in the same situation. (Check my reply to your original post).  What I found works best for us is for me to get all the info I can and present it to my husband for him to make the final determination on his treatment.  He is the one with the disease, and the one who will suffer any side effects from the treatments, so it's only fair  that he has the final say in the matter even though it might not be my choice. It's hard to do, but I think it's really important for him to feel he has some control over the situation.

Take care,     Jo

Mickey n Jo
                                            Participant

Take care,     Jo

swissfarm7
                                              Participant

Yes, Jo, I agree.  We operate just as you described:  I gather the info and pass it along to my husband.  He's the one with melanoma, and he'll have to make the final call.  But the final call may of course have an impact on all of us.  In our case, we have a business to operate ~ own that requires a great deal of manual labor, sometimes nearly around the clock.  I need to be realistic about how my husband's potential treatment may impact us in that regard.  We don't have the luxury of waiting to see whether or not he's able to get out there.  Cows aren't that forgiving. 😉

swissfarm7
                                                Participant

Yes, Jo, I agree.  We operate just as you described:  I gather the info and pass it along to my husband.  He's the one with melanoma, and he'll have to make the final call.  But the final call may of course have an impact on all of us.  In our case, we have a business to operate ~ own that requires a great deal of manual labor, sometimes nearly around the clock.  I need to be realistic about how my husband's potential treatment may impact us in that regard.  We don't have the luxury of waiting to see whether or not he's able to get out there.  Cows aren't that forgiving. 😉

swissfarm7
                                                  Participant

swissfarm7
                                                    Participant

I appreciate your input, "Anonymous".  I'm doing a great deal of research and am aware of the limitations and drawbacks of interferon.  I'm not addressing the controversial nature of interferon in this particular post, though.  Rather, I'm seeking feedback as to how interferon may impact the ins and outs of daily living.   I feel comfortable that will make an informed decision, one which we can move forward on with positivity.

swissfarm7
                                                      Participant

I appreciate your input, "Anonymous".  I'm doing a great deal of research and am aware of the limitations and drawbacks of interferon.  I'm not addressing the controversial nature of interferon in this particular post, though.  Rather, I'm seeking feedback as to how interferon may impact the ins and outs of daily living.   I feel comfortable that will make an informed decision, one which we can move forward on with positivity.

swissfarm7
                                                        Participant

Mickey n Jo
                                                          Participant

Colleen, I totally agree with you about your business, and I would definitely see about training and hiring an extra employee if you are in the position to do so. It would just give you a little more leeway in case your husband is not feeling well.

Jo

Mickey n Jo
                                                            Participant

Colleen, I totally agree with you about your business, and I would definitely see about training and hiring an extra employee if you are in the position to do so. It would just give you a little more leeway in case your husband is not feeling well.

Jo

Mickey n Jo
                                                              Participant

Jo

Tina D
                                                              Participant

Colleen,

I hesitated to answer this question, but my eldest heard me and said " Mom, they are trying to figure out what to expect, I think it is only fair that they get input from experience of others". She feels strongly about it, because we specifically teaveled out of state to see a specialist in PA, and he told me of folks golfing and running marathons while on it… this was not in line at all with my response to it, so I will just share my experience. For perspective, I was 45 and in otherwise excellent health at the time of treatment. I took the high dose ( per IV 5 times a week) for one month, then the injections at home which I was able to continue for 5 months until I opted out. The first month was very difficult for me with flu-like symptoms and extreme fatigue. After the first few days, most of my life consised of taking the treatments, and sleeping or resting. After that, it got a little better, but I was not able to work at all, and required breaks and lowered dosages on several occasions.I was extremely tired, did not feel well, and had a very difficult time concentraing or remembering things. My Oncologist ( not the out of state specialist) later told me that age is no predictor of how you will do, and the side effects are generally difficult for everyone. Obviously, I am not saying this to discourage, and as you see from responses already… not everyone is the same. But, in my opinion, if you have the option of hiring help to train ahead of time, it would be a wise thing to do. The first month is difficult for everyone I have spoken to, plus just the time required to go in for treatments. If he has an easier time of it, and you find you dont need much help after the first month or two, you could reduce your help to part time, but it seems like it would offer lots of peace of mind and relieve pressure on him to have someone else able to help carry the workload.I am sorry you are having to deal with all of this, I know it affects the whole family so much. Thank you also to you and your family for being a part in making Organic Dairy available to those of us who really think it needs to be that way to be healthy and good!!!     🙂

Best Wishes to you and your family in these coming days and as you are making decisions,

Tina 

Tina D
                                                                Participant

Colleen,

I hesitated to answer this question, but my eldest heard me and said " Mom, they are trying to figure out what to expect, I think it is only fair that they get input from experience of others". She feels strongly about it, because we specifically teaveled out of state to see a specialist in PA, and he told me of folks golfing and running marathons while on it… this was not in line at all with my response to it, so I will just share my experience. For perspective, I was 45 and in otherwise excellent health at the time of treatment. I took the high dose ( per IV 5 times a week) for one month, then the injections at home which I was able to continue for 5 months until I opted out. The first month was very difficult for me with flu-like symptoms and extreme fatigue. After the first few days, most of my life consised of taking the treatments, and sleeping or resting. After that, it got a little better, but I was not able to work at all, and required breaks and lowered dosages on several occasions.I was extremely tired, did not feel well, and had a very difficult time concentraing or remembering things. My Oncologist ( not the out of state specialist) later told me that age is no predictor of how you will do, and the side effects are generally difficult for everyone. Obviously, I am not saying this to discourage, and as you see from responses already… not everyone is the same. But, in my opinion, if you have the option of hiring help to train ahead of time, it would be a wise thing to do. The first month is difficult for everyone I have spoken to, plus just the time required to go in for treatments. If he has an easier time of it, and you find you dont need much help after the first month or two, you could reduce your help to part time, but it seems like it would offer lots of peace of mind and relieve pressure on him to have someone else able to help carry the workload.I am sorry you are having to deal with all of this, I know it affects the whole family so much. Thank you also to you and your family for being a part in making Organic Dairy available to those of us who really think it needs to be that way to be healthy and good!!!     🙂

Best Wishes to you and your family in these coming days and as you are making decisions,

Tina 

Tina D
                                                                  Participant

Colleen,

Tina 

swissfarm7
                                                                      Participant

Tina, thanks so much for taking the time to reply.  (And thanks to your daughter for encouraging you to share!)  It's helpful for me ~ and, in turn, my husband ~ to hear others' firsthand experiences.  Best to you!

Cheers,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                        Participant

Tina, thanks so much for taking the time to reply.  (And thanks to your daughter for encouraging you to share!)  It's helpful for me ~ and, in turn, my husband ~ to hear others' firsthand experiences.  Best to you!

Cheers,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                          Participant

Cheers,

Colleen

DebbieH
                                                                          Participant

Hi Colleen,

All I can do is share my experience which is this – the first high-dose month was pretty bad, extreme fatigue and fever/chills for the most part but we did go out for dinner a few times and I still went shopping occasionally.  I could not have worked tht month.  The rest of it wasn't so bad, I needed to rest a lot but there was no nausea, the fever and chills subsided and it was mostly the fatigue but it was certainly doable.  I went into it with the idea that if it got too bad I'd just quit and at 9 months I developed a terrible rash and that was it for me.  If I were in your shoes and your husband does go with inf then I'd see if you could get some extra help that first month.

As you know, there's still not a lot of good options for us out there.  I did this back in 2001/2001 and I'm stage IIIC so the delay in recurrence has been a LONG one for me (11 years NED two weeks ago!)  We all need to remember that there is NOTHING wrong with doing something that can delay a recurrence.  My idea is always to delay, delay, delay until they do come up with something that can rid of this. 

I wish you and your husband good luck with this decision – it's certainly a hard one, but whatever he decides he needs to know it's the best one for him.  He's lucky he's got you for support too.  Let us know what decision is made.

DebbieH, stage IIIC, NED 11 years after INTERFERON

DebbieH
                                                                            Participant

Hi Colleen,

All I can do is share my experience which is this – the first high-dose month was pretty bad, extreme fatigue and fever/chills for the most part but we did go out for dinner a few times and I still went shopping occasionally.  I could not have worked tht month.  The rest of it wasn't so bad, I needed to rest a lot but there was no nausea, the fever and chills subsided and it was mostly the fatigue but it was certainly doable.  I went into it with the idea that if it got too bad I'd just quit and at 9 months I developed a terrible rash and that was it for me.  If I were in your shoes and your husband does go with inf then I'd see if you could get some extra help that first month.

As you know, there's still not a lot of good options for us out there.  I did this back in 2001/2001 and I'm stage IIIC so the delay in recurrence has been a LONG one for me (11 years NED two weeks ago!)  We all need to remember that there is NOTHING wrong with doing something that can delay a recurrence.  My idea is always to delay, delay, delay until they do come up with something that can rid of this. 

I wish you and your husband good luck with this decision – it's certainly a hard one, but whatever he decides he needs to know it's the best one for him.  He's lucky he's got you for support too.  Let us know what decision is made.

DebbieH
                                                                              Participant

Hi Colleen,

swissfarm7
                                                                                  Participant

Thanks so much for chiming in, Debbie; this was helpful.  Great to hear how long you've been NED, too! : )

Cheers,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                    Participant

Thanks so much for chiming in, Debbie; this was helpful.  Great to hear how long you've been NED, too! : )

Cheers,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                      Participant

Cheers,

Colleen

MikeWI
                                                                                      Participant

I am about three weeks out from finishing Interferon.  For me it was tough but manageable.  I WOULD DO IT AGAIN FOR THE SAME REASONS.

When deciding wheteher to do it or not,  my choosing was based on two reasons

1.  I have a son, I need to be here for him.  My oncologist indicated that interferon was a way of it.  To prolong my life until the research currently in trial right now is available as treatment.  Also I read a post from a women on this web site that interferon was able to delay her reoccurance for 11 years.

2,  My tumor was ulcerated and interferon is 60 percent more effective on ulcerated tumors.  Someone on this web site sent me a link of a study in california that based on data indicated this.

The 30 day induction was tough.  I was tired, sick and cold pretty much every day.  I dropped 30 pounds in that time and was very weak by the end.  But I finished.

The 11 month injections was easier until about the last month.  I was exhausted, sometimes had nausea, and had muscle aches.  Coffee and compizene were very helpful.  The muscle aches were generally for the day after the injection and could be controled with Tylenol.  I lost 35 pounds during this phase. (I am a Big guy, and was a little obese when I started)  I finished the 11 months.

Some of the other posters are right.  You may or may not have the same symptoms as I did when being on it.  Your resons for choosing/not choosing maybe different.  For me it was my son, and I am not willing to sit around waiting to see if it comes back.  I am going to do everything possible to win this fight. I would rather try something than nothing at all.  I reminded myself of those choices every day I was in treatment.  It helped me get though some of the tougher days.

It is my hope that you let us know what your decision is, and look forward to seeing more posts from you.

MikeWI

stage 2c – currently NED

swissfarm7
                                                                                          Participant

Mike, your reply and the others here are so helpful to me, and also a great source of encouragement.  If there's one thing I've learned already, just two months into this adventure (ahem!), it's that we simply don't know how we'll respond and what choices we'll make until faced with the decision.   I sincerely appreciate the reminders here that each choice is personal and deserving of respect.  Best to you!

Cheers,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                            Participant

Mike, your reply and the others here are so helpful to me, and also a great source of encouragement.  If there's one thing I've learned already, just two months into this adventure (ahem!), it's that we simply don't know how we'll respond and what choices we'll make until faced with the decision.   I sincerely appreciate the reminders here that each choice is personal and deserving of respect.  Best to you!

Cheers,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                              Participant

Cheers,

Colleen

MikeWI
                                                                                              Participant

I am about three weeks out from finishing Interferon.  For me it was tough but manageable.  I WOULD DO IT AGAIN FOR THE SAME REASONS.

1.  I have a son, I need to be here for him.  My oncologist indicated that interferon was a way of it.  To prolong my life until the research currently in trial right now is available as treatment.  Also I read a post from a women on this web site that interferon was able to delay her reoccurance for 11 years.

2,  My tumor was ulcerated and interferon is 60 percent more effective on ulcerated tumors.  Someone on this web site sent me a link of a study in california that based on data indicated this.

The 30 day induction was tough.  I was tired, sick and cold pretty much every day.  I dropped 30 pounds in that time and was very weak by the end.  But I finished.

The 11 month injections was easier until about the last month.  I was exhausted, sometimes had nausea, and had muscle aches.  Coffee and compizene were very helpful.  The muscle aches were generally for the day after the injection and could be controled with Tylenol.  I lost 35 pounds during this phase. (I am a Big guy, and was a little obese when I started)  I finished the 11 months.

Some of the other posters are right.  You may or may not have the same symptoms as I did when being on it.  Your resons for choosing/not choosing maybe different.  For me it was my son, and I am not willing to sit around waiting to see if it comes back.  I am going to do everything possible to win this fight. I would rather try something than nothing at all.  I reminded myself of those choices every day I was in treatment.  It helped me get though some of the tougher days.

It is my hope that you let us know what your decision is, and look forward to seeing more posts from you.

MikeWI

stage 2c – currently NED

MikeWI
                                                                                                Participant

MikeWI

stage 2c – currently NED

sjl
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Colleen

I've been reading your posts and have nothing to offer on interferon.  While my husband was waiting to start it, he developed new tumors overnight that were extremely aggressive and is now undgergoing carbo/taxol with good results so far.  However, I understand EXACTLY your concerns as a caregiver and being the one informed.  Initially, I had to fight tooth and nail to get my husband to do what he had to do.  Like yours, he felt that once the surgery was completed (his is nasal mucosal) with clear margins, that there was no hurry to do more.  His is a complicated case with a second primary lung cancer which has significanlty delayed things.  The day he woke up with the tumors all over his neck he was livid with me for making sure he called a doctor.  When he developed pain along the area, he gave me a hard time about going to the ER 2 hours away as instructed by the doctor.  He has a "go with the flow" attitude and has done no research at all.  Like you, I am all over the place searching for help and information and I have about a million questions. I've got my own medical file going with all the scans, reports and so on that I can get my hands on because sometimes those things have a way of disappearing at the medical places and you never know when they might need them.  And you're right.  This does affect the entire famliy's life in a big way.  I haven't been able to plan anything for myself in 5 months.  It's not uncommon for us to be at a doctor's office or hospital 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes 2 hours away, and they change everything at the last minute.  It's taken it's toll already.  My blood pressure, blood sugar and weight are all up.  It's hard financially.  My husband is the breadwinner and I work two part time jobs.  I'm worried sick about everything.  I'd like to get another job but I can't because I can't be depended on for anything.  He finally is cooperating in doing what he needs to do without all the added stress on me making him do it.  If you can hire an employee for your farm, go for it.  I suppose this post is not very helpful but perhaps it will help you to realize that our feelings and concerns in this mess may be normal.  I don't know.  But when I began reading your posts I began to feel that yes, there is someone out there going through the same type of situation with their husband's way of dealing with things as I am.  I'm beginning to think that it is just as hard on us sometimes but in a very different way.  Until I read your posts I was thinking that maybe I'm nuts for feeling as I do.  My sister likes to tell me at every opportunity to think of what my husband is going through and not of what the rest of us are going through.  Well, I do!  I think of all he's had to go through and whay may happen next.  I'm worried that he may not live to see our son get married next year, or our other son graduate from college if we can even pay to get him through, or that the insurance won't pay for needed treatments and he will be left to die because we don't have the money to pay for it ourselves.  That thought is more than I can bear.   I worry about how I'm ever going to support us if he can't.  Sometimes I picture me, the dog, and the cat living in a carboard box!  The one thing I try very hard to do is to not let my husband know any of this.  In some ways, I feel that if he feels good and has a good attitude and is oblivious to things that could happen that it might be better for him.  I'm trying to just let him be happy.  Our kids are older than yours so we have been able to talk a lot of this out between ourselves.  It's still extremely frustrating though when the patient just doesn't seem to get it sometimes.  He'll tell me that the dog needs to go to the vet and I'll ask "When?  Exactly when do you think I could make an appointment that I could actually keep?".  Good luck.  I wish you and your husband and family the best.

swissfarm7
                                                                                                      Participant

Oh my goodness, sjl, I am so with you!  I'm glad you shared what you're going through and how it's affecting you; it's important that we have a place to do that, people to talk to.  We do have a good support system in "real life", but the reality is that people who haven't been there, done that can't identify.  Heck, until this past July, I wouldn't have been able to identify, either!  But like it or not, we just got inducted into the club we never intended to join. 😉  And yeah, I'm glad my husband isn't obsessing over any of this and is able to have a good attitude and just "go with the flow", but as I told him tonight, I can't do everything myself.

Wishing you all the best, (((sjl))) and grateful we can be honest here as we seek and offer support.

Cheers,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                        Participant

Oh my goodness, sjl, I am so with you!  I'm glad you shared what you're going through and how it's affecting you; it's important that we have a place to do that, people to talk to.  We do have a good support system in "real life", but the reality is that people who haven't been there, done that can't identify.  Heck, until this past July, I wouldn't have been able to identify, either!  But like it or not, we just got inducted into the club we never intended to join. 😉  And yeah, I'm glad my husband isn't obsessing over any of this and is able to have a good attitude and just "go with the flow", but as I told him tonight, I can't do everything myself.

Wishing you all the best, (((sjl))) and grateful we can be honest here as we seek and offer support.

Cheers,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                          Participant

Cheers,

Colleen

sjl
                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Colleen

I've been reading your posts and have nothing to offer on interferon.  While my husband was waiting to start it, he developed new tumors overnight that were extremely aggressive and is now undgergoing carbo/taxol with good results so far.  However, I understand EXACTLY your concerns as a caregiver and being the one informed.  Initially, I had to fight tooth and nail to get my husband to do what he had to do.  Like yours, he felt that once the surgery was completed (his is nasal mucosal) with clear margins, that there was no hurry to do more.  His is a complicated case with a second primary lung cancer which has significanlty delayed things.  The day he woke up with the tumors all over his neck he was livid with me for making sure he called a doctor.  When he developed pain along the area, he gave me a hard time about going to the ER 2 hours away as instructed by the doctor.  He has a "go with the flow" attitude and has done no research at all.  Like you, I am all over the place searching for help and information and I have about a million questions. I've got my own medical file going with all the scans, reports and so on that I can get my hands on because sometimes those things have a way of disappearing at the medical places and you never know when they might need them.  And you're right.  This does affect the entire famliy's life in a big way.  I haven't been able to plan anything for myself in 5 months.  It's not uncommon for us to be at a doctor's office or hospital 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes 2 hours away, and they change everything at the last minute.  It's taken it's toll already.  My blood pressure, blood sugar and weight are all up.  It's hard financially.  My husband is the breadwinner and I work two part time jobs.  I'm worried sick about everything.  I'd like to get another job but I can't because I can't be depended on for anything.  He finally is cooperating in doing what he needs to do without all the added stress on me making him do it.  If you can hire an employee for your farm, go for it.  I suppose this post is not very helpful but perhaps it will help you to realize that our feelings and concerns in this mess may be normal.  I don't know.  But when I began reading your posts I began to feel that yes, there is someone out there going through the same type of situation with their husband's way of dealing with things as I am.  I'm beginning to think that it is just as hard on us sometimes but in a very different way.  Until I read your posts I was thinking that maybe I'm nuts for feeling as I do.  My sister likes to tell me at every opportunity to think of what my husband is going through and not of what the rest of us are going through.  Well, I do!  I think of all he's had to go through and whay may happen next.  I'm worried that he may not live to see our son get married next year, or our other son graduate from college if we can even pay to get him through, or that the insurance won't pay for needed treatments and he will be left to die because we don't have the money to pay for it ourselves.  That thought is more than I can bear.   I worry about how I'm ever going to support us if he can't.  Sometimes I picture me, the dog, and the cat living in a carboard box!  The one thing I try very hard to do is to not let my husband know any of this.  In some ways, I feel that if he feels good and has a good attitude and is oblivious to things that could happen that it might be better for him.  I'm trying to just let him be happy.  Our kids are older than yours so we have been able to talk a lot of this out between ourselves.  It's still extremely frustrating though when the patient just doesn't seem to get it sometimes.  He'll tell me that the dog needs to go to the vet and I'll ask "When?  Exactly when do you think I could make an appointment that I could actually keep?".  Good luck.  I wish you and your husband and family the best.

sjl
                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Colleen

Mandi0280
                                                                                                              Participant

Hello 🙂 My husband is 3b and got diagnosed October 2011.  He is 38 years old and a hand welder at a factory that makes automotive parts. He  just got done with the 1 month high dose interferon in June. He chose not to do the 11 months of shots. I can't say that I wanted him to stop treatment but I had to listen to what he wanted because as we all know I am a big part of this melanoma journey with him but he is the one going through the actual treatment. While he was on interferon he did not work for the whole month…he did try a couple of day to go to work but ended up coming home due to dizziness,fever ect…He did have some good days after we learned what times to do tylenol and nausea meds. (By the way…we ended up getting our DR to give my husband hydrocodone due to tylenol wasn't taking care of his body aches…many ppl do stick to the tylenol though)  After about the first 3 or 4 days we knew not to go but so many hours without meds or the side effects of the interferon would be very bad. He had some days of fever, chills, nausea no matter what meds we did. I know everyone is different but I think your husband can def do this but as far as work I can't tell you…but I know that my husband couldn't work and take these treatments. I know several ppl that have worked with office jobs but your husband doesn't have an office job so it could be much harder for him to be up on his feet working all day. He will needs alot of rest after starting these treatments. Get ready for a long month or year whichever you guys decide to do. Good luck! When will he be starting treatment?

mandi

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                Participant

Hello 🙂 My husband is 3b and got diagnosed October 2011.  He is 38 years old and a hand welder at a factory that makes automotive parts. He  just got done with the 1 month high dose interferon in June. He chose not to do the 11 months of shots. I can't say that I wanted him to stop treatment but I had to listen to what he wanted because as we all know I am a big part of this melanoma journey with him but he is the one going through the actual treatment. While he was on interferon he did not work for the whole month…he did try a couple of day to go to work but ended up coming home due to dizziness,fever ect…He did have some good days after we learned what times to do tylenol and nausea meds. (By the way…we ended up getting our DR to give my husband hydrocodone due to tylenol wasn't taking care of his body aches…many ppl do stick to the tylenol though)  After about the first 3 or 4 days we knew not to go but so many hours without meds or the side effects of the interferon would be very bad. He had some days of fever, chills, nausea no matter what meds we did. I know everyone is different but I think your husband can def do this but as far as work I can't tell you…but I know that my husband couldn't work and take these treatments. I know several ppl that have worked with office jobs but your husband doesn't have an office job so it could be much harder for him to be up on his feet working all day. He will needs alot of rest after starting these treatments. Get ready for a long month or year whichever you guys decide to do. Good luck! When will he be starting treatment?

mandi

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                  Participant

mandi

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                      Participant

Thanks for sharing how it's played out for your husband, Mandi.  What will be happening for you/him from here on out as far as surveillance and so on?  I'm not sure yet Hans would begin treatment if he goes this route; I imagine within the next month or so. 

Best to you,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                        Participant

Thanks for sharing how it's played out for your husband, Mandi.  What will be happening for you/him from here on out as far as surveillance and so on?  I'm not sure yet Hans would begin treatment if he goes this route; I imagine within the next month or so. 

Best to you,

Colleen

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                          Participant

Since my husband has already taken part in the ipi/interferon trial (he recieved the ipi but was taken off of that after only 2 treatments due to it landing him in the hospital with severe colitis) and also taken the 1 month high dose interferon, there seems to be not much else to do for stage 3b at this point. So, from here on out we will visit the dermatologist and he has been having scans every 3 months. He was due a scan on Friday and the Dr's office cancelled saying my husband insurance wasn't wanting to pay for another CT scan. I called insurance and they say these CT scans are becoming a "trend".  Funny how you pay a high dollar premium for not so great insurance. I guess they think my husband just loves getting CT scans and does it for fun. Makes me shake my head. Hopefully they will approve it soon so we can get the scans over with as that seems to be the hardest part of all of this…waiting on scan results.

mandi

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                            Participant

Mandi, your husband is one of several with whom I've connected (directly or indirectly) who didn't respond well to ipi.  I completely understand why it's considered superior to interferon, but we'll  wait & see whether it's embraced long-term.. 

So it sounds like you and your husband are in that surveillance/wait-and-see holding pattern.  Which imo is a very hard place to be.  I mean, yes, we keep on keeping on, hoping for the best, focusing on the positive, seizing the moment (or telling ourselves we should), and we don't let Melanoma, capital "M", consume us.  But it's there.  It's out there.  So how do we move along; how do we handle Significant Stuff (like major business decisions with long-term effects); how, practically-speaking, so we "just" keep on keeping on?

Best to you, (((Mandi))), as you keep naviating these waters…

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                              Participant

Mandi, your husband is one of several with whom I've connected (directly or indirectly) who didn't respond well to ipi.  I completely understand why it's considered superior to interferon, but we'll  wait & see whether it's embraced long-term.. 

So it sounds like you and your husband are in that surveillance/wait-and-see holding pattern.  Which imo is a very hard place to be.  I mean, yes, we keep on keeping on, hoping for the best, focusing on the positive, seizing the moment (or telling ourselves we should), and we don't let Melanoma, capital "M", consume us.  But it's there.  It's out there.  So how do we move along; how do we handle Significant Stuff (like major business decisions with long-term effects); how, practically-speaking, so we "just" keep on keeping on?

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                                Participant

I was hoping so much that he would have done better with the ipi as many ppl think it could be a great drug for stage 3 pt's. It made him deathly sick. He did not eat one bite of food for over 6 days while in the hospital. But I will also say that many people have responded great to that drug. Every person is different. I would also like to say that while my husband was on interferon he had no depression signs at all and he has a family history of depression. But he also only did the 1 month instead of the year. So,  while you can read about other peoples experiences with each drug no story you hear will be exactly how your husband will react. While many ppl are not fond of interferon, my husband and I decided that doing nothing (watch and wait) was not something we thought we would be comfortable doing so we went ahead with the ipi and then the interferon later…but many people can do watch and wait, I guess you just have to decide what you guys are comfortable with. Yes, we are in the "wait and watch" part of the journey as of now. Melanoma is in my thoughts every single day of my life. I guess you will now never stop thinking about it… until there is a cure. My husband has the mind set that he will never see this cancer again. I pray every single day that he is right. I try to make sure he knows the facts and try to keep things somewhat realistic but also still want him in that very positive mind set because i do think that has something to do with how well people make it through any cancer. We just had a newborn 2 months ago so that has helped keep our minds occupied some. I really do wish you guys the very best and keep us updated on what you guys decide. About life decision going forward…I do not think that melanoma should consume your life going forward but treatments are not an easy thing and I do think for us anyway i wanted my husband to be able to focus on getting through those and not worry about work or any major decisions. We are now very behind on our mortage because of the fact that he could not work through treatments but I just decided that his life was far more important than whatever bills we have.  It is rough but you can help him through this 🙂

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                                  Participant

I was hoping so much that he would have done better with the ipi as many ppl think it could be a great drug for stage 3 pt's. It made him deathly sick. He did not eat one bite of food for over 6 days while in the hospital. But I will also say that many people have responded great to that drug. Every person is different. I would also like to say that while my husband was on interferon he had no depression signs at all and he has a family history of depression. But he also only did the 1 month instead of the year. So,  while you can read about other peoples experiences with each drug no story you hear will be exactly how your husband will react. While many ppl are not fond of interferon, my husband and I decided that doing nothing (watch and wait) was not something we thought we would be comfortable doing so we went ahead with the ipi and then the interferon later…but many people can do watch and wait, I guess you just have to decide what you guys are comfortable with. Yes, we are in the "wait and watch" part of the journey as of now. Melanoma is in my thoughts every single day of my life. I guess you will now never stop thinking about it… until there is a cure. My husband has the mind set that he will never see this cancer again. I pray every single day that he is right. I try to make sure he knows the facts and try to keep things somewhat realistic but also still want him in that very positive mind set because i do think that has something to do with how well people make it through any cancer. We just had a newborn 2 months ago so that has helped keep our minds occupied some. I really do wish you guys the very best and keep us updated on what you guys decide. About life decision going forward…I do not think that melanoma should consume your life going forward but treatments are not an easy thing and I do think for us anyway i wanted my husband to be able to focus on getting through those and not worry about work or any major decisions. We are now very behind on our mortage because of the fact that he could not work through treatments but I just decided that his life was far more important than whatever bills we have.  It is rough but you can help him through this 🙂

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Thanks so much for this post, Mandi.  Congratulations to you on your new little one, btw!  My "baby" turned 8 last week ~ I wish it didn't go so fast!

Best to you,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Thanks so much for this post, Mandi.  Congratulations to you on your new little one, btw!  My "baby" turned 8 last week ~ I wish it didn't go so fast!

Best to you,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Best to you,

Colleen

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                                          Participant

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Since my husband has already taken part in the ipi/interferon trial (he recieved the ipi but was taken off of that after only 2 treatments due to it landing him in the hospital with severe colitis) and also taken the 1 month high dose interferon, there seems to be not much else to do for stage 3b at this point. So, from here on out we will visit the dermatologist and he has been having scans every 3 months. He was due a scan on Friday and the Dr's office cancelled saying my husband insurance wasn't wanting to pay for another CT scan. I called insurance and they say these CT scans are becoming a "trend".  Funny how you pay a high dollar premium for not so great insurance. I guess they think my husband just loves getting CT scans and does it for fun. Makes me shake my head. Hopefully they will approve it soon so we can get the scans over with as that seems to be the hardest part of all of this…waiting on scan results.

mandi

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                                                Participant

mandi

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Best to you,

Colleen

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

mandi

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

mandi

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

mandi

Cooper
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

The top melanoma centers just don't prescribe interferon any more because it was long ago not proven to prevent recurrence. You don't have to feel miserable and lose your vigor to fight melanoma, in fact, bolstering your immune system with good living habits fights it best.  Its tough, because some of the general oncologists in outlying areas still think it is the thing to prescribe, but they don't treat melanoma daily.  I chose to watch and wait and enjoy life each moment and it has proven to work for me. 

Cooper
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

The top melanoma centers just don't prescribe interferon any more because it was long ago not proven to prevent recurrence. You don't have to feel miserable and lose your vigor to fight melanoma, in fact, bolstering your immune system with good living habits fights it best.  Its tough, because some of the general oncologists in outlying areas still think it is the thing to prescribe, but they don't treat melanoma daily.  I chose to watch and wait and enjoy life each moment and it has proven to work for me. 

Cooper
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

I'm glad you're comfortable with the path you're choosing, "Anonymous".  I'm sure the same will be true for us, as especially as we already do have "good living habits".  I'm also grateful that we're not in an "outlying area", living as we do in close proximity to both Seattle and Vancouver, Canada.  We've had the benefit of excellent care at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, from specialists who are steeped in the environment that is melanoma.  Isn't that wonderful?  Yes, I think so, too!  Thanks for your support!

Cheers,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

I'm glad you're comfortable with the path you're choosing, "Anonymous".  I'm sure the same will be true for us, as especially as we already do have "good living habits".  I'm also grateful that we're not in an "outlying area", living as we do in close proximity to both Seattle and Vancouver, Canada.  We've had the benefit of excellent care at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, from specialists who are steeped in the environment that is melanoma.  Isn't that wonderful?  Yes, I think so, too!  Thanks for your support!

Cheers,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Cheers,

Colleen

DebbieH
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

I'm glad to see your husband is in good hands, both with the major melanoma center where he is going and with you! 

I also wanted to add that one thing that made me decide on interferon was that I didn't want to have this come back and me wish I had done more and the interferon was the "more" in the equation.  You seem to be a pretty smart cookie so you probably already know that the side effects of ipi are often no better than interferon, at least according to their own literature and also, according to their literature, it can extend our life by a couple of months.  We NEED better treatment options!

This is such a personal decision and I don't want to make it seem like I'm advocating interferon – just sharing my own experience.    Your husband also has the option of just doing that high dose month.  Good luck to you both!

DebbieH, stage IIIC, NED 11 years after interferon

DebbieH
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

I'm glad to see your husband is in good hands, both with the major melanoma center where he is going and with you! 

I also wanted to add that one thing that made me decide on interferon was that I didn't want to have this come back and me wish I had done more and the interferon was the "more" in the equation.  You seem to be a pretty smart cookie so you probably already know that the side effects of ipi are often no better than interferon, at least according to their own literature and also, according to their literature, it can extend our life by a couple of months.  We NEED better treatment options!

This is such a personal decision and I don't want to make it seem like I'm advocating interferon – just sharing my own experience.    Your husband also has the option of just doing that high dose month.  Good luck to you both!

DebbieH
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

patobs01
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Colleen,

I was diagnosed wth MM in 9/09 (Stage 3A, , left shoulder, with micro mets to one lympnode, had a WLE, SNB and lymphendectomy) and elected to do only the 4 weeks high dose interferon. based on discussions with a couple of doctors. At the time I was a physically active, 50 year old woman and interferon was the only adjuvant treatment available.  I read the list of possible side effects and felt I could withstand most of them. My experience was very similar to those provided in previous posts – fatigue, chills,headache, loss of appetite, lack of concentration/focus and just a general malaise. I could not have worked during the treatment and feel lucky that I had the option to take a medical leave.

One side effect that I did not see mentioned much in the previous posts, but I was informed of it in advance and definitely experienced it, was depression. I'd never encountered it before, and it really took me by surprise, but on further research I found that it can acutally be caused by interfereon, so please be aware of that. If your husband choses this path, think hard about starting on some anti-depressant prior to the treatments. It can really take you down, and that is the last thing he needs when he is trying to fight MM and take interferon.

Praying that you are both blessed with good information, and the best care.

Patricia

patobs01
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Colleen,

I was diagnosed wth MM in 9/09 (Stage 3A, , left shoulder, with micro mets to one lympnode, had a WLE, SNB and lymphendectomy) and elected to do only the 4 weeks high dose interferon. based on discussions with a couple of doctors. At the time I was a physically active, 50 year old woman and interferon was the only adjuvant treatment available.  I read the list of possible side effects and felt I could withstand most of them. My experience was very similar to those provided in previous posts – fatigue, chills,headache, loss of appetite, lack of concentration/focus and just a general malaise. I could not have worked during the treatment and feel lucky that I had the option to take a medical leave.

One side effect that I did not see mentioned much in the previous posts, but I was informed of it in advance and definitely experienced it, was depression. I'd never encountered it before, and it really took me by surprise, but on further research I found that it can acutally be caused by interfereon, so please be aware of that. If your husband choses this path, think hard about starting on some anti-depressant prior to the treatments. It can really take you down, and that is the last thing he needs when he is trying to fight MM and take interferon.

Patricia

patobs01
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Colleen,

Patricia

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Patricia.  Your warning about potential depression gives me pause for thought.  I've read that before, but dismissed it as of little concern.  My husband is by all outward appearances a laid-back, easy-going, upbeat, positive person.  And yet he is more often than not disappointed with me, and with us.  So it feels to me like some depression already exists, and I can only imagine how that might play out.  Sigh.  And yet I seriously doubt I (or anyone else) could convince him to take an anti-depressant, especially before the fact.  Once again, I'm left wondering how others deal with this sort of thing. : -/

Best,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Patricia.  Your warning about potential depression gives me pause for thought.  I've read that before, but dismissed it as of little concern.  My husband is by all outward appearances a laid-back, easy-going, upbeat, positive person.  And yet he is more often than not disappointed with me, and with us.  So it feels to me like some depression already exists, and I can only imagine how that might play out.  Sigh.  And yet I seriously doubt I (or anyone else) could convince him to take an anti-depressant, especially before the fact.  Once again, I'm left wondering how others deal with this sort of thing. : -/

Best,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Best,

Colleen

Viewing 32 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics