The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Re: Lump in groin

Forums General Melanoma Community Re: Lump in groin

Participant

Hi

just a quick update on how I got on at derm appointment. He examined the lump in my groin which I e had for 2 wks now and said he didn't think it was a lymph node, but given my history, he would arrange an ultrasound scan. I had my scan yesterday and have been told it is infact an enlarged lymph node, and that my consultant might want to do more tests.  I assume he means a biopsy. Good news is he couldn't find any more nodes in my groin

Should I insist on a biopsy if consultant suggest 'watch and see'.  Should I also insist on an open biopsy as I have read that fine needle biopsy isn't accurate (doesn't always detect cancer present )

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

I would definitely get it biopsied. The fine needle biopsy is accurate enough, no it isn't 100% but if it is done by someone who's had a ton of experience then they should be able to get a good amount of cells that if there is melanoma present then it will be detected. It is so much less invasive to do the needle biopsy. I just had one done a couple of weeks ago and I go to one of the top melanoma oncology centers in the country. I know my doctors would not steer me wrong if they thought the fine needle biopsy wasn't good enough.

All the best,

Tamlin
            Participant

Thank you Jenn. Hope your keeping well x

Tamlin
              Participant

Tamlin
                Participant

jennunicorn
                Participant

I would definitely get it biopsied. The fine needle biopsy is accurate enough, no it isn't 100% but if it is done by someone who's had a ton of experience then they should be able to get a good amount of cells that if there is melanoma present then it will be detected. It is so much less invasive to do the needle biopsy. I just had one done a couple of weeks ago and I go to one of the top melanoma oncology centers in the country. I know my doctors would not steer me wrong if they thought the fine needle biopsy wasn't good enough.

All the best,

jennunicorn
                  Participant

All the best,

Tamlin
                    Participant

New update: consultant called today to say that although nothing else seen near enlarged lymph node which is a good sign, he has referred me to have lymph node removed and tested for melanoma. I'm starting to get a bit scared now. To meet consultant next Tuesday so he can go over the operation with me. Does anyone know if it's safe to fly after this operation as I'm due to go on holiday in May? How long were you in hospital and how long for recovery? 

Thanks 

jennunicorn
                        Participant

If you're just getting that one lymph node removed, you will be fine to fly in May. I had 4 lymph nodes removed for my SLNB. It's an outpatient procedure, so was home that same day after surgery. Took about a week for most of the soreness in that area to go down, but wasn't too bad. Had some fluid build up under the incision, and some swelling. But, it wasn't bad enough to stop me from flying if I was going to fly the next month. It would be a different story if you get all of them taken out, then lymphadema is much more possible and recovery time is longer. 

jennunicorn
                          Participant

If you're just getting that one lymph node removed, you will be fine to fly in May. I had 4 lymph nodes removed for my SLNB. It's an outpatient procedure, so was home that same day after surgery. Took about a week for most of the soreness in that area to go down, but wasn't too bad. Had some fluid build up under the incision, and some swelling. But, it wasn't bad enough to stop me from flying if I was going to fly the next month. It would be a different story if you get all of them taken out, then lymphadema is much more possible and recovery time is longer. 

jennunicorn
                            Participant

Tamlin
                            Participant

New update: consultant called today to say that although nothing else seen near enlarged lymph node which is a good sign, he has referred me to have lymph node removed and tested for melanoma. I'm starting to get a bit scared now. To meet consultant next Tuesday so he can go over the operation with me. Does anyone know if it's safe to fly after this operation as I'm due to go on holiday in May? How long were you in hospital and how long for recovery? 

Thanks 

Tamlin
                              Participant

Thanks 

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics