The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Rash is getting a little crazy

Forums General Melanoma Community Rash is getting a little crazy

Participant

Merry Christmas everyone. I was hoping to get a little guidance. I receive my first ipi/nivo combo on the 12/15 and about 3 days ago started getting rashes on the back of my arms( which from reading posts on this board I believe is a good thing?). However the rash is growing to my stomach and chest and midsection. Just now starting to itch on my arms. Should I reach out to my doctor or will this rash start to subside?  

Also I have been getting some really wild calf cramps. Anybody experience that?  For about 3 minutes it kills and go away. 

Thanks everybody!

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi NickLindner, I have a short video for you that is current and features Evan Lipson of John Hopkins University. The bottom line of the video is stay in contact with your doctors, or his or her nurse and with the combination having about a 50% grade 3/4 adverse effect history, being fast acting is the way to go. If you do require steroid treatment the sooner you start the faster you can get off them. Best Wishes!!! Ed  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MAmESB4czA 

ed williams
          Participant

Hi NickLindner, I have a short video for you that is current and features Evan Lipson of John Hopkins University. The bottom line of the video is stay in contact with your doctors, or his or her nurse and with the combination having about a 50% grade 3/4 adverse effect history, being fast acting is the way to go. If you do require steroid treatment the sooner you start the faster you can get off them. Best Wishes!!! Ed  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MAmESB4czA 

ed williams
            Participant

jennunicorn
              Participant

You definitely want to contact your doc's office/nurse as soon as possible. Any reaction or side effect you should let your doc know right away, the faster these things are known the faster they can get treated before it gets too bad. I haven't had rashes, just itchy skin all over, but my onc reminds me all the time to give her a ring if a rash pops up.

Haven't had calf cramps, not sure if that's from the drugs or not. You may be low in potassium, eat some bananas and other potassium rich foods and see if that helps your cramps.

Merry Christmas!

jennunicorn
                Participant

You definitely want to contact your doc's office/nurse as soon as possible. Any reaction or side effect you should let your doc know right away, the faster these things are known the faster they can get treated before it gets too bad. I haven't had rashes, just itchy skin all over, but my onc reminds me all the time to give her a ring if a rash pops up.

Haven't had calf cramps, not sure if that's from the drugs or not. You may be low in potassium, eat some bananas and other potassium rich foods and see if that helps your cramps.

Merry Christmas!

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Merry Christmas!

Nicklindner
                    Participant

Thank you!  I will shoot the Doc a text and let her know. But is it safe to assume that my body is responding to the drugs since I have been experiencing side effects?  This is a good thing right?

jennunicorn
                        Participant

From what we've observed it does seem to mean your immune system is kicked into gear and should get working to kick some melanoma butt! πŸ™‚

jennunicorn
                          Participant

From what we've observed it does seem to mean your immune system is kicked into gear and should get working to kick some melanoma butt! πŸ™‚

jennunicorn
                            Participant

Nicklindner
                            Participant

Thank you!  I will shoot the Doc a text and let her know. But is it safe to assume that my body is responding to the drugs since I have been experiencing side effects?  This is a good thing right?

Nicklindner
                              Participant

Nicklindner
                                Participant

πŸ™‚

Nicklindner
                                  Participant

πŸ™‚

debwray
                                      Participant

Hi,

Not sure how easy it will be to get a reply over the Christmas break-  but grade 1-2  rashes can to be managed initially by over the counter topical hydrocortisone cream and antihistamines.

http://www.opdivohcp.bmscustomerconnect.com/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=00Pi000000Hj19REAR

see nivo management guide page 16-17.You still need to let your docs know what is going on..but maybe you can stop it getting too crazy  in the meantime??Others on the board  seem to like  oatmeal products -and something with gold in the name. Hope its not too itchy….

Deb

debwray
                                        Participant

Hi,

Not sure how easy it will be to get a reply over the Christmas break-  but grade 1-2  rashes can to be managed initially by over the counter topical hydrocortisone cream and antihistamines.

http://www.opdivohcp.bmscustomerconnect.com/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=00Pi000000Hj19REAR

see nivo management guide page 16-17.You still need to let your docs know what is going on..but maybe you can stop it getting too crazy  in the meantime??Others on the board  seem to like  oatmeal products -and something with gold in the name. Hope its not too itchy….

Deb

debwray
                                          Participant

Hi,

Deb

Nicklindner
                                          Participant

πŸ™‚

Hukill
                                            Participant

My dr on the first treatment sent me home with 3 pints of steriod cream and 3 quarts of moisterizer. I have had the rash on the back of my arms and chest since mid july but only 2 or 3 bumps itched for a short period and the steroid cream took care of that. I guess he thought I would have a horrible rash. I have not had cramps. Are you drinking lots of water?

Hukill
                                              Participant

My dr on the first treatment sent me home with 3 pints of steriod cream and 3 quarts of moisterizer. I have had the rash on the back of my arms and chest since mid july but only 2 or 3 bumps itched for a short period and the steroid cream took care of that. I guess he thought I would have a horrible rash. I have not had cramps. Are you drinking lots of water?

Hukill
                                                Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics