The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Rash after immunotherapy

Forums General Melanoma Community Rash after immunotherapy

Participant
      Hi all,

I am looking to hear about anyone who experienced rash with immunotherapy.

I completed one year of Pembro for stage 2 in Oct. while receiving the treatment, my effects were mild fatigue and a very mild rash. After completing it, I have more rash. It pops up in new places, more so with the cold, dry weather. It’s still very mild.

My question is for people that had a rash from treatment: does it ever go away over time or should I expect it to be around forever? I read someone say that it never went away and I wanted to know if that was the case for anyone else.

Thank you,
      M

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          I had lots of rash and skin issues during my 2 1/2 years on Nivo. After going off nivo, the rash gradually faded, though sometimes rearing its head in fits and starts. However, with my last dose in 2013, I do not have any issues with itchy rashes from that any longer, although the vitiligo has remained. So….once off treatment you will find that the rashes will gradually resolve in most cases. Sometimes it just takes a minute.

But….there is a good side to this as well – ASCO 2015: Adverse effects from Nivo and how they are associated with survival

Specifically – “Statistically significant progression free survival and overall survival differences were seen in patients who experienced any grade of AE. Improved progression free survival was associated with rash and vitiligo. Rash was associated with improved overall survival…”

celeste

YoJa
            Participant
              Wow! I certainly hope that is true. Thank you for sharing that.

What about joint paint? And other side effects eta? How much longer from when you stopped treatment did side effects go away? Other than the ones that are permanent.

JudiAU
            Participant
              Yes. I had a rash pop up for about six months. Mild. Also similar for steroids and anti seizure medicine. They would rotate. They seemed to make me prone to minor staph infections, not MRSA, not horrible big staph, little staph that looked like a rash but eventual would be treated with antibiotics.
              mmbraddock
              Participant
                I did targeted therapy and had terrible side effects during treatment but after the drugs braf/mek where out of my system the side effects of the medication disappeared. Although they did cause a grade 3 adverse event but my lymphnode went from 1.6cm to .4mm in 5 months!
            Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics