The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Rare Oral mucsal melanoma

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Rare Oral mucsal melanoma

Participant

Sorry to be on here!!  Just dianosed wtih very rare and very grim Oral mucosal melanoma!!

At stage one in sit tu and all pet scan are clear.  There is not much reasearch on this rare meanoma so I am out here looking for anything that can give me more hope!!

Thanks Suz

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Becky
        Participant

Hi

my son was also dx with oral melanoma (tongue) when he was 21. His had spread to one lymph node so stage 3. Believe me I read all the same grim statistics that you have. But my son is 5 years out still NED…so has beat the odds 

i would tell you to stop googling because it will just scare you, but I know that's easier said than done. I do know that one reason oral melanoma has such a grim prognosis is because it is usually not caught early. Sounds like yours was. 

Take care

Becky

mary1233
            Participant

There is a youtube presentation with a panel including Paul Chapman from Memorial Sloan Kettering. He said something to the effect that the survival rates that you read about on your web searches are "last century numbers". He went on to say that they do not know the current numbers because the advances in treatments and research are happening so quickly, but they know they are significantly better.

Personally, I will not read anything written before 2012 because it is out of date. I have to keep myself on the side of the people who are working to cure me.

Best wishes.

mary1233
              Participant

There is a youtube presentation with a panel including Paul Chapman from Memorial Sloan Kettering. He said something to the effect that the survival rates that you read about on your web searches are "last century numbers". He went on to say that they do not know the current numbers because the advances in treatments and research are happening so quickly, but they know they are significantly better.

Personally, I will not read anything written before 2012 because it is out of date. I have to keep myself on the side of the people who are working to cure me.

Best wishes.

mary1233
                Participant

Best wishes.

Becky
                Participant

Hi

my son was also dx with oral melanoma (tongue) when he was 21. His had spread to one lymph node so stage 3. Believe me I read all the same grim statistics that you have. But my son is 5 years out still NED…so has beat the odds 

i would tell you to stop googling because it will just scare you, but I know that's easier said than done. I do know that one reason oral melanoma has such a grim prognosis is because it is usually not caught early. Sounds like yours was. 

Take care

Becky

Becky
                  Participant

Hi

Take care

Becky

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics