The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Randy having some fatigue and….

Forums General Melanoma Community Randy having some fatigue and….

Participant

So my boyfriend is feeling some fatigue for the first time since starting pd-1.  Also, his chest wall tumor which is his largest is causing him some pain and it's gotten inflammed/swollen looking (this is also the tumor that he has had 3 biopsies on so far for the trial).  All his other tumors that have been also shrinking arn't inflammed  or painful, just this large one.  The tumor is and has been really soft as it's dying.   I'm hoping it's the accumulation of his immune cells making it so sensitive and larger.

So my boyfriend is feeling some fatigue for the first time since starting pd-1.  Also, his chest wall tumor which is his largest is causing him some pain and it's gotten inflammed/swollen looking (this is also the tumor that he has had 3 biopsies on so far for the trial).  All his other tumors that have been also shrinking arn't inflammed  or painful, just this large one.  The tumor is and has been really soft as it's dying.   I'm hoping it's the accumulation of his immune cells making it so sensitive and larger.  He's been responding exceptionally well thus far, and his scans done a couple weeks ago were awesome, with everything shrinking.  He's had 5 infusions so far, hoping that the fatigue is from his body working hard to eliminate this horrid cancer.

I know people have had inflammation of tumors on yervoy, anyone had this on pd1?  I'm probably going to email his trial coordinator toinght to give them a heads up, and see what they say.

-Amanda-

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        melissa ann
        Participant

Hi Amanda, when my husband was on the BMS PD1 we were told by Dr. Weber at Moffitt  that some tumors can become inflamed before shrinking.  Unfortunately, Peck did not respond to the trial.  I am happy to hear Randy is doing so well, hope and happy thoughts to both of you.  Melissa

melissa ann
          Participant

Hi Amanda, when my husband was on the BMS PD1 we were told by Dr. Weber at Moffitt  that some tumors can become inflamed before shrinking.  Unfortunately, Peck did not respond to the trial.  I am happy to hear Randy is doing so well, hope and happy thoughts to both of you.  Melissa

melissa ann
            Participant

tasjacques
              Participant
                Hi Amanda,
                I really don’t have info on anti PD 1 side effects, since my husband will only start his treatment this coming week, after waiting for what it seems a very long long time.
                He will be treated at UCLA as well, and wanted to know if you could share your experience?
                I hope Randy feels better very soon, and all his T -cells are working hard to kill all those bad cells.
                All of you are included on my prayers every night.
                Elenise ( wife of Jacques)
                tasjacques
                Participant
                  Hi Amanda,
                  I really don’t have info on anti PD 1 side effects, since my husband will only start his treatment this coming week, after waiting for what it seems a very long long time.
                  He will be treated at UCLA as well, and wanted to know if you could share your experience?
                  I hope Randy feels better very soon, and all his T -cells are working hard to kill all those bad cells.
                  tasjacques
                  Participant
                    Hi Amanda,
                    tasjacques
                    Participant
                      Hi Amanda,
                      tasjacques
                      Participant
                        Hi Amanda,
                        tasjacques
                        Participant
                          Hi Amanda,
                          tasjacques
                          Participant
                            Hi Amanda,
                              Amanda
                              Participant

Hi Elenise~ so sorry for the late reply!  UCLA's doctors and nurses have been great overall.  It can be very time consuming some days, especially early on when you have to do biopsies, scans, blood work, see the doctor, and get your meds, you can be there for multiple hours.  You have to give blood everytime before an infusion, and that can take an hour up to a couple hours to process, in which time you're just sitting around, but they let us come a day early to give blood if we want so we dont have to wait two hours doing nothing before getting the infusion.  

Usually, not too much of a wait time to get in your appointment, Nurses are always wonderful, and our Dr. Ribas is awesome.  Also the dermatologist who does his biopsies is a really cool guy, Dr. Tumeh.  

On a side note, the swelling i thought was inflammation was not, ….my boyfriend had run into a heavey wooden door, and hit his biopsy spot…the stitches on the inside broke and blood started accumulating under the skin making it swell, well the preasure released itself finally though a previous biopsy incision site right above the stitches from this newer biopsy spot.  Now now has a hematoma that is draining slowly through a pinky sized whole on my boyfriends chest.  We will be getting the hematoma revmoved, and most likey they will take the tumor out as well.   The dermatologist who did our biopsies said that randy's cd8 cells are replicating like crazy, im pretty sure those are the 'killer t cells''…..hoping that continues  ; )

Best of luck for you and your husband, you'll be in good care are UCLA

-Amanda-

Amanda
                                Participant

Hi Elenise~ so sorry for the late reply!  UCLA's doctors and nurses have been great overall.  It can be very time consuming some days, especially early on when you have to do biopsies, scans, blood work, see the doctor, and get your meds, you can be there for multiple hours.  You have to give blood everytime before an infusion, and that can take an hour up to a couple hours to process, in which time you're just sitting around, but they let us come a day early to give blood if we want so we dont have to wait two hours doing nothing before getting the infusion.  

Usually, not too much of a wait time to get in your appointment, Nurses are always wonderful, and our Dr. Ribas is awesome.  Also the dermatologist who does his biopsies is a really cool guy, Dr. Tumeh.  

On a side note, the swelling i thought was inflammation was not, ….my boyfriend had run into a heavey wooden door, and hit his biopsy spot…the stitches on the inside broke and blood started accumulating under the skin making it swell, well the preasure released itself finally though a previous biopsy incision site right above the stitches from this newer biopsy spot.  Now now has a hematoma that is draining slowly through a pinky sized whole on my boyfriends chest.  We will be getting the hematoma revmoved, and most likey they will take the tumor out as well.   The dermatologist who did our biopsies said that randy's cd8 cells are replicating like crazy, im pretty sure those are the 'killer t cells''…..hoping that continues  ; )

-Amanda-

Amanda
                                  Participant

-Amanda-

tasjacques
                                  Participant
                                    Hi Amanda,
                                    tasjacques
                                    Participant
                                      Hi Amanda,
                                      POW
                                      Participant

Who'd a thunk?! Here we all are worried to death that every lump and bump we see is melanoma related and come to find out, in this case at least, it really is just a lump and bump! Such a good lesson about not allowing ourselves to get all bent out of shape about something until we really have to. Thank you, Amanda, for clearing up this mystery for us. I'm delighted that things are going so well for Randy and the anti-PD1 and that his "cd 8 cells are replicating like crazy.". I'll keep praying that he turns out to be a complete responder! Keep up the good work. 

POW
                                        Participant

Who'd a thunk?! Here we all are worried to death that every lump and bump we see is melanoma related and come to find out, in this case at least, it really is just a lump and bump! Such a good lesson about not allowing ourselves to get all bent out of shape about something until we really have to. Thank you, Amanda, for clearing up this mystery for us. I'm delighted that things are going so well for Randy and the anti-PD1 and that his "cd 8 cells are replicating like crazy.". I'll keep praying that he turns out to be a complete responder! Keep up the good work. 

POW
                                          Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics