The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

radiation questions and biopsy results

Forums General Melanoma Community radiation questions and biopsy results

Participant

Great news today!!  The lump that stopped the radiation and caused me much alarm since it was just 4 weeks after surgery was just fatty tissue!  There were actually 3 nodules so I was quite concerned. Just to show that lumps do not always = bad news!!!  That now makes me 6 weeks NED!

Great news today!!  The lump that stopped the radiation and caused me much alarm since it was just 4 weeks after surgery was just fatty tissue!  There were actually 3 nodules so I was quite concerned. Just to show that lumps do not always = bad news!!!  That now makes me 6 weeks NED!

I start back with my radiation tomorrow and have some issues.  After just 4 days I had been blistering along the scar area on my arm. I'm doing radiation because the tumor was along the ulnar nerve and the surgeon was not able to get a margin on that side.  When I had my original consult in Charlotte they told me that side effects would be minimal. A low dosage would be used to not damage the nerve. Most I should experience was a sunburn in the area. I am being treated locally and the Doctors originally all talked. 

I know that the local tech at least lied to me. They put on a bolus and when I asked what it was I was told that it was to protect the skin.  I had dinner the other night with Debbie from Va (she was in the area for a music camp smiley). When I told her about the blisters she asked me about the bolus. I had no idea!!  When I looked it up on the internet I realized that it is used to give the surface skin the same effect as the deep tissue. The info I got basically guaranteed blistering! I'm worried because I am allergic to most antibiotics including topical ones. Infection always puts me at a high risk because of my intense allergies. 

When I spoke to my Oncologist today he could not advise. They told me to ask lots of questions tomorrow and to voice my concerns. They are starting back so quickly that I don't have time to call the radiologist that I originally consulted with. I will call him in the morning but doubt I will get a callback before I go. I realize that changes can be made for the next day.

I know this was long and I apologize. My question for others who have had radiation on a scar line. Did they use a bolus (looks like a gel pack), should it be sterilized between patients, and what side effects did you get from it? I have 20 more treatments to go.

I'm happy with my news I got today but am concerned about radiation issues,

Linda

Stage IV since 06  NED for 6 weeks!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        StevenK
        Participant

I am so happy that the lump was just fatty tissue, Linda. Can't answer your radiation question. Hopefully someone with knowledge will speak up soon. Congrats on being NED!

Steve

lhaley
            Participant

Thanks Steve. Have you learned anything yet ?

Linda

StevenK
              Participant

I cannot get on my surgeon's schedule. I call every day and talk to his admin assistant.. I don't understand it. I keep getting the run-around and there doesn't seem to be a way to talk to the doctor directly. It's causing me a lot of stress. Is it common to have such a hard time getting a procedure scheduled?

lhaley
                Participant

When I first went stage IV it took 2 surgeons to do the surgery. Took 5 weeks and I went crazy! That didn't help move me up but my vocalization helped me!  Finally the oncology surgeon and plastic surgeon decided to do the surgery after hours. It was the only way they could coordinate.  grrrrrr

My surgery in Nov had been scheduled and then put off when they found another tumor in another location and the surgeon needed twice the amount of time. My last surgery they saw it light up on the pet, got me into the surgeon within 2 days and surgery was the next week.   It all depends on their schedule!   Also, I've found they weigh if they think your situation can wait vs other people waiting. 

I think that since I've now stayed with the same team when I have an issue it gets acted upon much quicker.  When my last lump was discovered 2 weeks ago I had a PET within a few days and the same day the fna. 5 days later it was removed! 

I do hope that you can get scheduled soon so you can move on.

Linda

Vermont_Donna
                  Participant

Hi Linda,

To the best of my knowledge, the bolus they use on you is your own personal bolus….mine were cut to fit exactly the area that they wanted deeper radiation to…ie where the melanoma was resected.

How are you doing?

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                    Participant

Hi Linda,

To the best of my knowledge, the bolus they use on you is your own personal bolus….mine were cut to fit exactly the area that they wanted deeper radiation to…ie where the melanoma was resected.

How are you doing?

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

lhaley
                      Participant

When I first went stage IV it took 2 surgeons to do the surgery. Took 5 weeks and I went crazy! That didn't help move me up but my vocalization helped me!  Finally the oncology surgeon and plastic surgeon decided to do the surgery after hours. It was the only way they could coordinate.  grrrrrr

My surgery in Nov had been scheduled and then put off when they found another tumor in another location and the surgeon needed twice the amount of time. My last surgery they saw it light up on the pet, got me into the surgeon within 2 days and surgery was the next week.   It all depends on their schedule!   Also, I've found they weigh if they think your situation can wait vs other people waiting. 

I think that since I've now stayed with the same team when I have an issue it gets acted upon much quicker.  When my last lump was discovered 2 weeks ago I had a PET within a few days and the same day the fna. 5 days later it was removed! 

I do hope that you can get scheduled soon so you can move on.

Linda

StevenK
                        Participant

I cannot get on my surgeon's schedule. I call every day and talk to his admin assistant.. I don't understand it. I keep getting the run-around and there doesn't seem to be a way to talk to the doctor directly. It's causing me a lot of stress. Is it common to have such a hard time getting a procedure scheduled?

lhaley
                          Participant

Thanks Steve. Have you learned anything yet ?

Linda

StevenK
                          Participant

I am so happy that the lump was just fatty tissue, Linda. Can't answer your radiation question. Hopefully someone with knowledge will speak up soon. Congrats on being NED!

Steve

Viewing 1 reply thread
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics