The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Radiation for pain control of tumor while on Yervoy?

Forums General Melanoma Community Radiation for pain control of tumor while on Yervoy?

Participant

Good morning

My husband, Pete, has his first infusion of Yervoy tomorrow for multiple mets in liver, spine, bone, muscle. His back has become quite stiff and sore from the tumours that are in the muscle and bone there.  We are going to talk with our oncologist tomorrow about radiation options, but I wanted to find out what others' experiences have been in this community.  What is the typical process of getting radiation for pain control at the same time as getting Yervoy?

Thanks in advance,

Yasmin

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

I used to believe radiation for pain control was a good thing. After many radiations I think it is better to try and shrink the tumors if you do radiation. This typically is no less than 6 gray per treatment of usually 5 treatments. However I've also experienced shrinkage at 3 gray per treatment of 10 treatments but that is unusual for melanoma.

If you do radiation you can have it the day before and the day after but not the day of your yervoy. Well technically you can but I would not recommend it. Also he might be one of the lucky ones to get the radiation immunotherapy synergy.

I assume he is getting either zommeta or xgeva for his bone mets? This is supposed to strengthen the bones and prevent spinal cord issues. It is really important to do this otherwise the risk of paralysis can be high. I've been there and best to do at least xgeva as soon as possible.

As far as process the med onc and radiation onc have to agree to it then it happens. I read an article of dr Wolchok at msk and he thought the best timing of radiation on Yervoy is right after the 3rd dose of yervoy.

Artie

yazziemac
            Participant

Thanks, Artie, I will talk with oncologist about these things tomorrow.  Pete is not on any medication for his bones yet, but I'll definitely ask about it tomorrow.

Yasmin

yazziemac
              Participant

Thanks, Artie, I will talk with oncologist about these things tomorrow.  Pete is not on any medication for his bones yet, but I'll definitely ask about it tomorrow.

Yasmin

yazziemac
                Participant

Yasmin

arthurjedi007
                Participant

I used to believe radiation for pain control was a good thing. After many radiations I think it is better to try and shrink the tumors if you do radiation. This typically is no less than 6 gray per treatment of usually 5 treatments. However I've also experienced shrinkage at 3 gray per treatment of 10 treatments but that is unusual for melanoma.

If you do radiation you can have it the day before and the day after but not the day of your yervoy. Well technically you can but I would not recommend it. Also he might be one of the lucky ones to get the radiation immunotherapy synergy.

I assume he is getting either zommeta or xgeva for his bone mets? This is supposed to strengthen the bones and prevent spinal cord issues. It is really important to do this otherwise the risk of paralysis can be high. I've been there and best to do at least xgeva as soon as possible.

As far as process the med onc and radiation onc have to agree to it then it happens. I read an article of dr Wolchok at msk and he thought the best timing of radiation on Yervoy is right after the 3rd dose of yervoy.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Artie

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics