The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Radiation Breakage or Melanoma Progression?

Forums General Melanoma Community Radiation Breakage or Melanoma Progression?

Participant

My mom had her first dose of Keytruda last Wednesday (Feb. 8) after 5 doses of radiation (which ended Jan. 27), with mostly fatigue and nausea as side effects so far. The primary anal mass has noticeably shrank since she started radiation, but there are ten or so new little white bumps all over the anal opening (they look like canker sores).  This morning, there are some new ones underneath an external hemorrhoid.

I sent a picture to her oncologist and he thought it looked like melanoma from the picture. The white bumps make it painful and stings when she urinates or tries to put ointment on it. Has anyone else experienced this, and did it turn out to be melanoma?  Is it possible for the primary to get smaller while there is progression elsewhere?

I always thought that melanoma wasn't painful, which is why I was hoping it was radiation breakage.  Also, the outbreak happened pretty suddenly and quickly (we see that area every day, so we would have seen them if they existed all along.  I know that it may take a while for immunotherapies to kick in, but these new developments make us pretty anxious.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        _Paul_
        Participant

If I were in your shoes I would make an appointment with her oncologist to check it out as soon as possible.  Don't be afraid to see that doctor as often as you think is necessary. It is very important at this point to self advocate and never be afraid to ask for an appointment.

I wish you all the best – Paul

_Paul_
          Participant

If I were in your shoes I would make an appointment with her oncologist to check it out as soon as possible.  Don't be afraid to see that doctor as often as you think is necessary. It is very important at this point to self advocate and never be afraid to ask for an appointment.

I wish you all the best – Paul

debwray
            Participant

Hi Cindy,

This is so unusual a type of melanoma I think we all struggle to have relevant experience.

However, the pd1 drugs can result in quick changes.. Flooding immune cells to sites of micro disease..doesn't reallly sound like a fungal thing. Would taking cystitis type meds to make the urine more alkaline help a bit. 

Hope you get some answers soon.

Best wishes

Deb

Cindyco
                Participant

Thanks Deb and Paul.  Sometimes I forget that this melanoma is not very common.  It's been tough sorting out what is "normal" for treatment and what we should actually be concerned about.  On the one hand, we don't want to keep bothering the doctors over every little thing to the point that they don't take us seriously when something is actually an issue.  On the other, every little thing freaks us out. 

I showed the pictures to her radiation oncologist, and she thought it looked like typical radiation breakage.  Either way, she said there is nothing to do right now except to give the Keytruda a shot.  We have an appointment next week, so we will have them examine it in person at that time. 

debwray
                  Participant

Hi Cindy,

Take your point about not wanting to bother the docs too much- but with immunotherapy side effects they need to be picked up , monitored and managed sooner rather than later. Keep on communicating and then the docs can decide if it is important or not.   Sounds like the radiation doc has been helpful,and the next appointment isn't far away. One day at a time and all that…

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                    Participant

Hi Cindy,

Take your point about not wanting to bother the docs too much- but with immunotherapy side effects they need to be picked up , monitored and managed sooner rather than later. Keep on communicating and then the docs can decide if it is important or not.   Sounds like the radiation doc has been helpful,and the next appointment isn't far away. One day at a time and all that…

Best wishes

Deb

Cindyco
                      Participant

Thanks Deb and Paul.  Sometimes I forget that this melanoma is not very common.  It's been tough sorting out what is "normal" for treatment and what we should actually be concerned about.  On the one hand, we don't want to keep bothering the doctors over every little thing to the point that they don't take us seriously when something is actually an issue.  On the other, every little thing freaks us out. 

I showed the pictures to her radiation oncologist, and she thought it looked like typical radiation breakage.  Either way, she said there is nothing to do right now except to give the Keytruda a shot.  We have an appointment next week, so we will have them examine it in person at that time. 

debwray
                      Participant

Hi Cindy,

This is so unusual a type of melanoma I think we all struggle to have relevant experience.

However, the pd1 drugs can result in quick changes.. Flooding immune cells to sites of micro disease..doesn't reallly sound like a fungal thing. Would taking cystitis type meds to make the urine more alkaline help a bit. 

Hope you get some answers soon.

Best wishes

Deb

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics