The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

radiation

Forums General Melanoma Community radiation

Participant

Just curious if any one has had radiation following a radical lymphadenectomy of neck nodes? I noticed that it is not even a treatment option on this website.  I was recently diagnosed with melanoma and have had surgery one month ago to remove approximately 30 nodes in my neck area (primary melanoma on my nose).  They said 13 nodes were positive out of 30 for melanoma.  They said it is too soon to start any systemic therapy and want me to wait until I heal further from the sugery before I start radiation.  Radiation likely to start 6-7 weeks following surgery.  I am BRAF neg.  Otherwise healthy, although this surgery has kicked my butt.

Thank you for any help you can offer.  Something just doesn't feel right.

Mike

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        yazziemac
        Participant

Hi Mike

My late husband had 33 radiation treatments to his neck after a radical neck dissection, which removed more than 40 lymph nodes.  He had a recurrence 6 months later, unfortunately, with a brain met.  I have heard that melanoma is a radiation resistant cancer, so the effects are not as good as they could be.  However, if radiation is the only treatment offered (as it was in my husband's case at the time), then at least one feels that one is doing something rather than waiting and watching.  Good luck with your decision!

ed williams
            Participant

It is nice to have you back on the forum Yasmin, wishing you the best!!!  Ed

ed williams
              Participant

yazziemac
                Participant

Thanks, Ed! I'm getting stronger as time goes on, but adjusting to life without Pete is sad.  Hope you are doing well also.

Yasmin

yazziemac
                  Participant

Thanks, Ed! I'm getting stronger as time goes on, but adjusting to life without Pete is sad.  Hope you are doing well also.

Yasmin

yazziemac
                    Participant

Yasmin

ed williams
                      Participant

lmhl
                        Participant

Thank you for your information.  I am sorry to hear about your husband.  I have read else where that melanoma is resistant to radiation.  Not sure why that's what they are offering to me.  Are they unable to start Vervoy shortly after surgery because of healing.  Should I be asking for something different?  I have another appointment this week to have the mask fitted.  I appreciate your advice.

lmhl
                          Participant

Thank you for your information.  I am sorry to hear about your husband.  I have read else where that melanoma is resistant to radiation.  Not sure why that's what they are offering to me.  Are they unable to start Vervoy shortly after surgery because of healing.  Should I be asking for something different?  I have another appointment this week to have the mask fitted.  I appreciate your advice.

lmhl
                            Participant

yazziemac
                            Participant

Hi Mike

My late husband had 33 radiation treatments to his neck after a radical neck dissection, which removed more than 40 lymph nodes.  He had a recurrence 6 months later, unfortunately, with a brain met.  I have heard that melanoma is a radiation resistant cancer, so the effects are not as good as they could be.  However, if radiation is the only treatment offered (as it was in my husband's case at the time), then at least one feels that one is doing something rather than waiting and watching.  Good luck with your decision!

yazziemac
                              Participant

Hi Mike

Bubbles
                                Participant

Hi Mike,

It sounds like you are probably Stage IIIc if you have no disease other than what you have mentioned.  While we are learning more about the synergistic effects of radiation and immunotherapy, radiation alone does not do as well.  Have your docs mentioned immunotherapy?  Ipi/Yervoy? Anti-PD1 (Either Nivo/Opdivo or Pembro/Keytruda)?  Or you probably qualify for the ipi/nivo trial for NED folks.  You can see what has been discussed re IIIC on a post just below yours:  http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/3c-adjuvant-nivoipineed-some

The trial I am referring to is this one:  A Phase I Trial of a Vaccine Combining Multiple Class I Peptides and Montanide ISA 51VG With Escalating Doses of Anti-PD-1 Antibody Nivolumab or Ipilimumab With Nivolumab For Patients With Resected Stages IIIC/ IV Melanoma

Only peptide and montanide vaccines are no longer required.  Still recruiting.

ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01176474

There is also this one:   Efficacy Study of Nivolumab Compared to Ipilimumab in Prevention of Recurrence of Melanoma After Complete Resection of Stage IIIb/c or Stage IV Melanoma (CheckMate 238)

ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02388906

You can out the trial # in:  https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/home
                                  and it will give you details of the trial, exclusions, locations, etc.
                                  Ask more questions here as you need.  I wish you my best.  Celeste

jamieth29
                                    Participant
                                      Mike,
                                      Unfortunately i did check into the yervoy/nivo trial as adjuvant on Thursday and was informed the trial is closed. They took there last patient 2 months ago. Apparently nobody has updated the trial.gov info. I am currently looking for any other hospitals with this combo. The checkmate 238 trial is open and recruiting in multiple locations.
                                      jamieth29
                                      Participant
                                        Mike,
                                        Unfortunately i did check into the yervoy/nivo trial as adjuvant on Thursday and was informed the trial is closed. They took there last patient 2 months ago. Apparently nobody has updated the trial.gov info. I am currently looking for any other hospitals with this combo. The checkmate 238 trial is open and recruiting in multiple locations.
                                        Bubbles
                                        Participant

Thanks for letting everyone know that the ipi/nivo trial is now closed, Jamie.  I hate that.  Also sorry to have led you astray.  You had been asking about data re ipi vs nivo.  Thought you might be interested in this….not in NED patients but still…http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/07/combos-looking-goodbut-if-pd-l1.html

Don't know how easily you could attain PD-L1 tumor testing.  Mine was done in the course of my trial but I was denied the results.  Hopefully, this will be available soon if not now. I would certainly ask about it.

Good luck you and Mike.  C

Bubbles
                                          Participant

Thanks for letting everyone know that the ipi/nivo trial is now closed, Jamie.  I hate that.  Also sorry to have led you astray.  You had been asking about data re ipi vs nivo.  Thought you might be interested in this….not in NED patients but still…http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/07/combos-looking-goodbut-if-pd-l1.html

Don't know how easily you could attain PD-L1 tumor testing.  Mine was done in the course of my trial but I was denied the results.  Hopefully, this will be available soon if not now. I would certainly ask about it.

jamieth29
                                            Participant
                                              Celeste,
                                              As always thanks for the great info. My fault for not being more clear on the ipi vs nivo (checkmate 238). I am going for a consult on Tuesday for that trial. I am hoping i can find a pd-1 trial before committing to 238 and at least look into it. Mike i think you could join U.S trial but you would have to look into what the trial covers and what it doesn’t if your insurance wouldn’t cover a trial here. Although i am definitely not 100% sure of any facts for not being in U.S and insurance coverage.
                                              jamieth29
                                              Participant
                                                Celeste,
                                                As always thanks for the great info. My fault for not being more clear on the ipi vs nivo (checkmate 238). I am going for a consult on Tuesday for that trial. I am hoping i can find a pd-1 trial before committing to 238 and at least look into it. Mike i think you could join U.S trial but you would have to look into what the trial covers and what it doesn’t if your insurance wouldn’t cover a trial here. Although i am definitely not 100% sure of any facts for not being in U.S and insurance coverage.
                                                jamieth29
                                                Participant
                                                  Celeste,
                                                  Bubbles
                                                  Participant

jamieth29
                                                    Participant
                                                      Mike,
                                                      lmhl
                                                      Participant

Thank you Celeste 

I was told that they might start Vervoy after radiation.  I was also told that I didn''t qualifiy for any trials.  I am in Canada.  Does this make a difference?  

Mike

lmhl
                                                        Participant

Thank you Celeste 

I was told that they might start Vervoy after radiation.  I was also told that I didn''t qualifiy for any trials.  I am in Canada.  Does this make a difference?  

Mike

lmhl
                                                          Participant

Thank you Celeste 

Mike

Bubbles
                                                            Participant

Hey Mike,

Trials are very tricky no matter where you are.  Perhaps Ed, our Canadian Mousketeer, can shed more light on trials available for Canadian peeps and how to access them.  However, if your docs are talking ipi/Yervoy combined with radiation (or VERY QUICKLY following) that is great news!  There's no contraindication for doing both at the same time.  Here are couple of posts that address how combining ipi with radiation is better: 

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/03/radiation-for-melanomabetter-when.html

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/01/ipi-and-radiationa-good-combo-for.html

And just to make you smile (maybe???) the benefits of reservatrol and radiation???!!!:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/01/red-red-wineboosts-radiation-effect-for.html

I wish you my best.  C

Bubbles
                                                              Participant

Hey Mike,

Trials are very tricky no matter where you are.  Perhaps Ed, our Canadian Mousketeer, can shed more light on trials available for Canadian peeps and how to access them.  However, if your docs are talking ipi/Yervoy combined with radiation (or VERY QUICKLY following) that is great news!  There's no contraindication for doing both at the same time.  Here are couple of posts that address how combining ipi with radiation is better: 

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/03/radiation-for-melanomabetter-when.html

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/01/ipi-and-radiationa-good-combo-for.html

And just to make you smile (maybe???) the benefits of reservatrol and radiation???!!!:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/01/red-red-wineboosts-radiation-effect-for.html

I wish you my best.  C

Bubbles
                                                                Participant

Hey Mike,

I wish you my best.  C

ed williams
                                                                  Participant

Mike with the number of nodes that you had positive I would be pushing hard for a brain Mri and Pet Ct scan. If you are not seeing a Melanoma specialist then try hard to get an appointment with one. I have been getting my treatments at the Ottawa general for the last 3 years and there are two great Melanoma Oncologist on staff. Wishing you the best!!! Ed

ed williams
                                                                    Participant

Mike with the number of nodes that you had positive I would be pushing hard for a brain Mri and Pet Ct scan. If you are not seeing a Melanoma specialist then try hard to get an appointment with one. I have been getting my treatments at the Ottawa general for the last 3 years and there are two great Melanoma Oncologist on staff. Wishing you the best!!! Ed

ed williams
                                                                      Participant

Bubbles
                                                                      Participant

Hi Mike,

It sounds like you are probably Stage IIIc if you have no disease other than what you have mentioned.  While we are learning more about the synergistic effects of radiation and immunotherapy, radiation alone does not do as well.  Have your docs mentioned immunotherapy?  Ipi/Yervoy? Anti-PD1 (Either Nivo/Opdivo or Pembro/Keytruda)?  Or you probably qualify for the ipi/nivo trial for NED folks.  You can see what has been discussed re IIIC on a post just below yours:  http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/3c-adjuvant-nivoipineed-some

The trial I am referring to is this one:  A Phase I Trial of a Vaccine Combining Multiple Class I Peptides and Montanide ISA 51VG With Escalating Doses of Anti-PD-1 Antibody Nivolumab or Ipilimumab With Nivolumab For Patients With Resected Stages IIIC/ IV Melanoma

There is also this one:   Efficacy Study of Nivolumab Compared to Ipilimumab in Prevention of Recurrence of Melanoma After Complete Resection of Stage IIIb/c or Stage IV Melanoma (CheckMate 238)

Bubbles
                                                                        Participant

Hi Mike,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics