The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

radial or vertical growth

Forums General Melanoma Community radial or vertical growth

Participant

Hello everone!

I was searching in internet again and found out , that melanoma with ANY Breslow thickness,even 0.1 mm ,already have vertical growth in it.

My path report says MM Breslow 0.2 mm , vertical growth – absent, radial growth – present.

Is it mistake in pathology ? Does anyone had the same ???

Hello everone!

I was searching in internet again and found out , that melanoma with ANY Breslow thickness,even 0.1 mm ,already have vertical growth in it.

My path report says MM Breslow 0.2 mm , vertical growth – absent, radial growth – present.

Is it mistake in pathology ? Does anyone had the same ???

Thank you for your support and information. It is more then 3 months since my diagnosys ,but I still worry a lot, my doctor put me on antidepressants 🙁  I am sorry about this post , and I know I am not in the worst place to be with my pathology ,but I just cant help myself worrying.

I am checking my every freckle and all seems a new melanomas for me. I think I am going mad.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

In general, the statement is correct.  Most every lesion with a depth has vertical growth.  But more recent study has indicated that some moles exist within the dermis and don't HAVE to have vertical growth even though they have a depth.  Not all pathologists even look for this.  It's not common, not always looked for, and not always spelled out.  It's not universally accepted.  If a pathology report has a depth but says nothing about growth phase, it is assumed to be vertical.  But the research that does exist shows the radial growth lesions with a depth have a prognosis more consistent with in situ than invasive melanoma.  No, your pathology isn't likely wrong and was probably done at a larger research institution. 

Janner

natasha
            Participant

Thank you ,Janner!

My pathology was done twice – second opinion in larger hospital .

It says as well : '' The lesion is small and not all the features of melanoma are present ,but , at worst ,it is radial growth phase.''

natasha
              Participant

Thank you ,Janner!

It says as well : '' The lesion is small and not all the features of melanoma are present ,but , at worst ,it is radial growth phase.''

natasha
                Participant

Thank you ,Janner!

Janner
                Participant

In general, the statement is correct.  Most every lesion with a depth has vertical growth.  But more recent study has indicated that some moles exist within the dermis and don't HAVE to have vertical growth even though they have a depth.  Not all pathologists even look for this.  It's not common, not always looked for, and not always spelled out.  It's not universally accepted.  If a pathology report has a depth but says nothing about growth phase, it is assumed to be vertical.  But the research that does exist shows the radial growth lesions with a depth have a prognosis more consistent with in situ than invasive melanoma.  No, your pathology isn't likely wrong and was probably done at a larger research institution. 

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Janner

Cynaburst
                    Participant

My pathology report was very similar.  Mine was .25 mm and radial growth phase.  I recently had a wide excision and a SNB both of which were negative for addition melanoma.  I only had the SNB because my lesion had regrown in 6 mos. after a previous biopsy and my surgeon at a renowned melanoma hospital was worried and strongly recommended the SNB even though my lesion was very shallow.

natasha
                        Participant

SNB is very unusual in sutuations like mine or yours. Did you have mitosis or ulceration?If not , 6 months growth period is not even a case to do SNB.

How often do you need to go to check ups?I need to go once every 3 months for 1 year.

Did your doctor explained you about radial growth and 0.25 mm?

I will see my doc for first check up after surgery in week time and I will ask him for much more information on this question.

natasha
                          Participant

SNB is very unusual in sutuations like mine or yours. Did you have mitosis or ulceration?If not , 6 months growth period is not even a case to do SNB.

How often do you need to go to check ups?I need to go once every 3 months for 1 year.

I will see my doc for first check up after surgery in week time and I will ask him for much more information on this question.

natasha
                            Participant

Cynaburst
                            Participant

My pathology report was very similar.  Mine was .25 mm and radial growth phase.  I recently had a wide excision and a SNB both of which were negative for addition melanoma.  I only had the SNB because my lesion had regrown in 6 mos. after a previous biopsy and my surgeon at a renowned melanoma hospital was worried and strongly recommended the SNB even though my lesion was very shallow.

Cynaburst
                              Participant

natasha
                                Participant

Today I had my first follow up appointment with Doctor after my diagnosys in January this year.

I asked question about Breslow thickness and radial / vertical growth phases and Doc explained itis possible to have Breslow thickness in tumor and still have only gorizontal melanoma phase ,and it depends on cell's deviding in tumor. I did not understand all termnology Doc used ,but  it looks like low Breslow thickness can have only radial and not vertical growth .

natasha
                                  Participant

Today I had my first follow up appointment with Doctor after my diagnosys in January this year.

I asked question about Breslow thickness and radial / vertical growth phases and Doc explained itis possible to have Breslow thickness in tumor and still have only gorizontal melanoma phase ,and it depends on cell's deviding in tumor. I did not understand all termnology Doc used ,but  it looks like low Breslow thickness can have only radial and not vertical growth .

natasha
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics