The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Quick Question re Brain MRI

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Quick Question re Brain MRI

Participant

My husband is scheduled for an SLNB and wide local excision 3/2/18. A 9.3 mm mole had been removed from his chest. We were referred to a melanoma/skin cancer center. They immediately ordered a full body PET-CT (clear!), and we met with the doctors on his team: oncologist, surgeon and dermatologist/director (Venna). Apparently the oncologist keeps up with the literature/conferences/peer consulting/etc., and may tend to be more on the aggressive end of the spectrum when it comes to treatment. So far so good. 

I've noticed some people here who have had PET-CTs also had brain MRIs. Is that the norm and would you have thought my husband would have had one? In case it matters, no symptoms.

Thank you! You all are beyond helpful as I muddle through, reading (including Bubbles' primer and many posts),

Beth

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Beth, sounds like you are in good hands !!!! I think you might get some different experiences based on which hospital and who is the Oncologist but brain scans usually aren't done before SLND and WLE and even then a lot of patients don't get them unless Ct-scans show progression to lung or live or bones. It should be standard of care for all stage 4 patients but it isn't, now I must add that I am in Canada and the only reason that they did a brain scan on me, was because the clinical trial that I was trying to get into asked for one!!! That was my experience back in summer of 2013 and not much has changed in Canada as to doing brain scans. Where is your husband being treated? Good luck with the SLNB and wide excision!!! Best Wishes!!! Ed

Paulajane
          Participant

My oncologist ordered an mri of the brain with the pet scan. He said the pet scan does not show the brain clearly. I do get head aches. Wishing the best for you and your husband   

Paula 

bjeans
              Participant

Thank you for weighing in, Paula – and I sure hope you’re doing well. 

Beth

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics