The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Quick message of hope (and thanks!)

Forums General Melanoma Community Quick message of hope (and thanks!)

  • This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by LADog.
  • Post
    John T
    Participant
      Hi all brave and cool melanoma fighters

      Just checking in with some positive vibes. I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Metastatic Melanoma in my lymph system (right leg) in 2008 and was given the rather stressful prognosis something along the lines of “20% chance of not being around in a year, 80% chance of not being around in 5 years” ( I guess the doctor didn’t quite put it that bluntly!).

      Anyway – here I still am! 14 years later, no recurrence ( a few scares though – any lump, anywhere would cause a minor panic!).

      Not here to show or make others who have not been so lucky feel bad (and hopefully not tempt fate!) – but I remember, when I was first diagnosed, feeling great comfort when I saw other people’s success stories. Thanks to all those kind people.

      Understandably, many posts in here are about recurrences and issues (as it is a great source of support and advice) and it is quite easy for people who get it all sorted to just fade away from the site. So I vowed to myself to occasionally come back here to remind people that there are many, many success stores too, and hopefully re-enforce hope to others in the same way I got inspiration from success stories all those years ago.

      (For anyone interested, I opted for surgery only to take out all lymph nodes in my leg, no other treatment. Please do not take this as advice – it is just what I did after considering pros and cons of the options at the time – a year long course of Interferon seemed to be the main one)

      Keep fighting, living life to the best of you ability, and keep believing.

      Love to all

      John

      PS if anyone would like more info about me or my case – just ask!

    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        John T
        Participant
          Quick edit – it has been so long since I talked about this that I stated the original diagnosed stage wrong – it is actually Stage 3B, NOT Stage 4 as I wrote above. Don’t want to mislead anybody, but could not find a way to edit post! Johhn.
          ThinkingPositive
          Participant
            Your news is so good to hear John! You are one of the lucky ones where surgery was enough to heal you. I feel lucky too, having fell into the melanoma world after pembrolizumab was approved.
            Take care! Cindy
            Bubbles
            Participant
              Thanks for the update, John! Good news is always GREAT!!!!! Take care. celeste
              sing123
              Participant
                John, thanks so much for your joyful post! Wonderful to read of your enduring good health. Timely for me as am getting scans tomorrow. Last time I was at the 2 year mark, docs told me melanoma had spread. Hoping for better news this go round. And so your uplifting words resound.

                Wishing you all continued good health,

                Cindy

                LADog
                Participant
                  John – I took a screenshot of your post to display in our house so it can remind us there is hope. We are just starting this journey. Long story short, felt a lump we thought was a hernia. Biopsy of inguinal lymph node showed Metastic Melanoma Unknown Primary (at this time). There is a small spot on liver I’m sure will be metastatic melanoma too. Your message really inspired me and my husband. Prayers for you! Open to any advice or suggestions.
              Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

              The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

              The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.