The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Questions, what would you do?

Forums General Melanoma Community Questions, what would you do?

Participant
      I haven’t posted in quite awhile. I have been on here several times to see how everyone is doing though.
      I have been doing so well and have been trying to put it behind me and live my life. I have had 4 months off and have been feeling as close to normal as I can. I had a PET Scan yesterday that shows a spot in my lung. It’s in the scar tissue from my surgery to remove Mel in 2011. He says its on the edge of my lung and had probably gone to my pleura also. He’s not for sure about any of it yet and has given me two choices. Wait 8 weeks and and have another scan and see if it grows or do a needle biaopsy which could deflate my lung. I don’t know if I can wait 8 weeks and sit and worry that long. I also have two children getting married next May and July. If I had to have treatment I would rather get started now rather that 8 weeks from now. What are your thoughts? I’m stage 4 metastatic.
    Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

If the lung does deflate, can they fix that or is that permanent damage? If they do a needle biopsy now, will they get enough tissue to do a BRAF test? Assuming they do the biopsy and it comes back as melanoma, what treatment would they recommend?

POW
          Participant

If the lung does deflate, can they fix that or is that permanent damage? If they do a needle biopsy now, will they get enough tissue to do a BRAF test? Assuming they do the biopsy and it comes back as melanoma, what treatment would they recommend?

POW
            Participant

Roxy1453
              Participant
                Yes they said they could fix the lung if it deflated and it would be ok.
                I have already been tested for BRAF and I’m negative.
                He would not go into any detail about treatment until he was sure that it is Mel.
                POW
                Participant

Well, I think it's wise for the doctor not to discuss treatment options unless and until you know if this spot is melanaoma. After all, this spot might turn out to be nothing to worry about.

But from the patient's perspective, it is reassuring to have at least some idea of what you will do IF (and only IF) the spot is melanoma. This is particularly true if you want to consider participating in a clinical trial. It can take a lot of time and effort to find appropriate clinical trials. And some clinical trials will exclude you if you have had certain prior therapies and other trials will only include you if you HAVE had certain prior therapies. So it's good to know that before you agree to further treatments. So while I think the doctor is wise to hold off on such conversations, I think you are wise, too, to start doing your homework. 

Many people think that anti-PD1 is the most promising treatment out there for BRAF negative patients. Anti-PD1 is not FDA approved yet, but there are a lot of clinical trials going on with it (2 different manufacturers, some trials combining anti-PD1 with Yervoy or  with chemo, etc). I suggest that you check the clinicaltrials.com web site and see what would be available for you. You should also view the immunotherapy and anti-PD1 webinars on the Melanoma International Foundation web site http://melanomainternational.org/events-webinar/#.UhSt8tJwrh4 so you can educate yourself about the possibilities. 

Don't panic. DEFINITELY don't panic! This might not be melanoma and even if it is, there are a lot of new treatments available now that are more effective than what was available when you were first diagnosed. But frankly, I always enjoy the feeling of flooring my doctor by asking well-informed, sophisticated questions about my treatment options. Make them scramble to come up with GOOD answers! smiley

Roxy1453
                  Participant
                    Thank you so much for your help!! I will look into the different trials. I have had 2 doses of Yervoy and ended up in the hospital for 4 days with colitis so it’s not an option.
                    JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

I have had a lung collapse after a discectomy in 1990 and another partially deflate during a FNA in 2007.  Not fun, tends to leave one coughing some afterwards.  Yes they can re-inflate the lung.  One question is the size and location of the "spot".  Will they go in from the front or back of your body?  The one through my back into a tumor on the back wall of my lung both injured a nerve (took a year to stop hurting), cut a blood vessel (blood poured thru lung and out my mouth (glad I was laying on my stomach and didn't have a major breathing problem from the flow

I do not find it surprising in the least that a surgical site lights up in a PET.   My PETs have shown me where I have damage to mouth, legs, knees, neck, arm, groin and chest from injuries and surgeries  .Do those bright spots on my PETs mean I have tumors there?  Or do they just mean that those are the type tissue/spots where larger amounts of glucose collect?  YEP!  For most of the spots, I didn't even want my Onc to look at hard.  The CT will provide very exact measurements (more so than a PET and a repeat CT will define growth quite well.    Did they just do a PET or did they do a PET/CT?

.      I  would suspect that it would be a CT guided FNA,  which helps to get into the tumor.  Do remember that an FNA is a little like sticking a straw in a well to determine what is in the water.  Depends on exactly what is in the spot where the withdrawal is made.  Oh, yes, my sample withdrawn was INCONCLUSIVE! frown  So we wound up relying on a repeat CT to look for growth.  It/they grew and I started systemic treatment.

Hopefully this will provide you more info on which to make a decision.  Your decision.  How much anguish would the wait for a follow up CT cause you?  I might ask if they would consider another CT in 4 rather than 8 weeks.. 

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

I have had a lung collapse after a discectomy in 1990 and another partially deflate during a FNA in 2007.  Not fun, tends to leave one coughing some afterwards.  Yes they can re-inflate the lung.  One question is the size and location of the "spot".  Will they go in from the front or back of your body?  The one through my back into a tumor on the back wall of my lung both injured a nerve (took a year to stop hurting), cut a blood vessel (blood poured thru lung and out my mouth (glad I was laying on my stomach and didn't have a major breathing problem from the flow

I do not find it surprising in the least that a surgical site lights up in a PET.   My PETs have shown me where I have damage to mouth, legs, knees, neck, arm, groin and chest from injuries and surgeries  .Do those bright spots on my PETs mean I have tumors there?  Or do they just mean that those are the type tissue/spots where larger amounts of glucose collect?  YEP!  For most of the spots, I didn't even want my Onc to look at hard.  The CT will provide very exact measurements (more so than a PET and a repeat CT will define growth quite well.    Did they just do a PET or did they do a PET/CT?

.      I  would suspect that it would be a CT guided FNA,  which helps to get into the tumor.  Do remember that an FNA is a little like sticking a straw in a well to determine what is in the water.  Depends on exactly what is in the spot where the withdrawal is made.  Oh, yes, my sample withdrawn was INCONCLUSIVE! frown  So we wound up relying on a repeat CT to look for growth.  It/they grew and I started systemic treatment.

Hopefully this will provide you more info on which to make a decision.  Your decision.  How much anguish would the wait for a follow up CT cause you?  I might ask if they would consider another CT in 4 rather than 8 weeks.. 

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Roxy1453
                          Participant
                            I think they would go in from the front, but not sure. He did say the biopsy may be inconclusive. I didn’t sleep last night and I’m pretty sure this will drive me crazy waiting! I hate the waiting the most. I’m waiting for the Dr to call me back today so we can talk more about it.

Thanks for your advice!

Bubbles
                            Participant

Hey Roxy,

So very sorry for your worries.  And NOBODY can know what that feels like unless they've been there!  I had a right upper lobectomy of my lung for a tumor that was postive for melanoma in 2010 (as well as brain mets zapped via SRS and a tonsillectomy for same).  Additionally, research shows that melanoma most frequently recurs at previous sites like scars from prior removal.  However, it aint over til it's over and you won't know if it's melanoma until the pathology is done.  As a patient I had a chest tube and all sorts of mess to get through the surgery of the removal of the right upper lobe of my lung.  I lived!!!  As a pediatric NP, I have taken care of lots of children with atelectasis, pneumothorax, etc….all sorts of collapsed lungs….and they lived too!!!  There are plenty of things that can be done to deal with that issue should it happen and it was right of your doctor to warn you that it was a possibilty.  It's not fun.  But, you could handle it if need be. On an even better note.  I have been in an NED arm for Stage IV patients Phase I trial of BMS anti-PD1 (Nivolumab) for the past 2 1/2 years and remain NED today.  While anti-PD1 has some of the same methods of action and side effects as ipi, it has been found to be more effective and with a more manageable side effect profile.  At first, patients who had not tolerated ipi well were not allowed in anti-PD1 trials.  Now, Moffitt, as well as other locations, have arms specifically designated for patients with prior treatment and side effects from ipi.  Most patients seem to be doing well.  I don't really feel able to tell you what you SHOULD do, but I do think you should follow your heart as to what you think is best for you and believe that you do have some real, and viable options.  Wishing you the best. C

Roxy1453
                              Participant
                                Thank you so much for your incite. It really did help me feel better!

I am going in next Tues for the biopsy. I have had surgery on both lungs before and had chest tubes with both. It’s not fun and I really don’t want to do it again. But I will do whatever I have to. No matter what I will be at my kids weddings next May and July!!

I’m just really tired of all of this! It’s been going on since 2006. Every time I start to feel good and think maybe I’m going to be ok, it hits me over the head again! I’ve always be able to stay positive about this but this time it hit me a lot harder and i’m having a hard time getting past it. i just need to have a little pity party and then get back on the horse!

Roxy1453
                                  Participant

I am going in next Tues for the biopsy. I have had surgery on both lungs before and had chest tubes with both. It’s not fun and I really don’t want to do it again. But I will do whatever I have to. No matter what I will be at my kids weddings next May and July!!

I’m just really tired of all of this! It’s been going on since 2006. Every time I start to feel good and think maybe I’m going to be ok, it hits me over the head again! I’ve always be able to stay positive about this but this time it hit me a lot harder and i’m having a hard time getting past it. i just need to have a little pity party and then get back on the horse!

Roxy1453
                                    Participant

Bubbles
                                    Participant

I really do understand what you mean.  I just had my 10 year anniversary of living with melanoma August 14!!!  It is very hard to get out from under its shadow.  And…this is the place!  For a pity party, for anger and frustration, for access to information!!!  You can't always do that in front of loved ones and I think these boards should be places with no judgement….for exactly that purpose!

I will be keeping fingers and toes crossed that your biopsy next week is a big old waste of time with a negative result!!!  At any rate, I'm glad you are getting it done and you can move forward from there with whatever steps you need to take next.

Hang in there.  Wishing you my best. Celeste

Roxy1453
                                      Participant
                                        Thanks Celeste! You are so right!
                                        Best to you too!
                                        Roxy1453
                                        Participant
                                          He would not go into any detail about treatment until he was sure that it is Mel.
                                          Roxy1453
                                          Participant
                                            POW
                                            Participant

Well, I think it's wise for the doctor not to discuss treatment options unless and until you know if this spot is melanaoma. After all, this spot might turn out to be nothing to worry about.

But from the patient's perspective, it is reassuring to have at least some idea of what you will do IF (and only IF) the spot is melanoma. This is particularly true if you want to consider participating in a clinical trial. It can take a lot of time and effort to find appropriate clinical trials. And some clinical trials will exclude you if you have had certain prior therapies and other trials will only include you if you HAVE had certain prior therapies. So it's good to know that before you agree to further treatments. So while I think the doctor is wise to hold off on such conversations, I think you are wise, too, to start doing your homework. 

Many people think that anti-PD1 is the most promising treatment out there for BRAF negative patients. Anti-PD1 is not FDA approved yet, but there are a lot of clinical trials going on with it (2 different manufacturers, some trials combining anti-PD1 with Yervoy or  with chemo, etc). I suggest that you check the clinicaltrials.com web site and see what would be available for you. You should also view the immunotherapy and anti-PD1 webinars on the Melanoma International Foundation web site http://melanomainternational.org/events-webinar/#.UhSt8tJwrh4 so you can educate yourself about the possibilities. 

Don't panic. DEFINITELY don't panic! This might not be melanoma and even if it is, there are a lot of new treatments available now that are more effective than what was available when you were first diagnosed. But frankly, I always enjoy the feeling of flooring my doctor by asking well-informed, sophisticated questions about my treatment options. Make them scramble to come up with GOOD answers! smiley

POW
                                              Participant

Roxy1453
                                                Participant
                                                  Thank you so much for your help!! I will look into the different trials. I have had 2 doses of Yervoy and ended up in the hospital for 4 days with colitis so it’s not an option.
                                                  Roxy1453
                                                  Participant
                                                    Roxy1453
                                                    Participant
                                                      I think they would go in from the front, but not sure. He did say the biopsy may be inconclusive. I didn’t sleep last night and I’m pretty sure this will drive me crazy waiting! I hate the waiting the most. I’m waiting for the Dr to call me back today so we can talk more about it.

Thanks for your advice!

Roxy1453
                                                      Participant

Thanks for your advice!

Bubbles
                                                        Participant

Hey Roxy,

So very sorry for your worries.  And NOBODY can know what that feels like unless they've been there!  I had a right upper lobectomy of my lung for a tumor that was postive for melanoma in 2010 (as well as brain mets zapped via SRS and a tonsillectomy for same).  Additionally, research shows that melanoma most frequently recurs at previous sites like scars from prior removal.  However, it aint over til it's over and you won't know if it's melanoma until the pathology is done.  As a patient I had a chest tube and all sorts of mess to get through the surgery of the removal of the right upper lobe of my lung.  I lived!!!  As a pediatric NP, I have taken care of lots of children with atelectasis, pneumothorax, etc….all sorts of collapsed lungs….and they lived too!!!  There are plenty of things that can be done to deal with that issue should it happen and it was right of your doctor to warn you that it was a possibilty.  It's not fun.  But, you could handle it if need be. On an even better note.  I have been in an NED arm for Stage IV patients Phase I trial of BMS anti-PD1 (Nivolumab) for the past 2 1/2 years and remain NED today.  While anti-PD1 has some of the same methods of action and side effects as ipi, it has been found to be more effective and with a more manageable side effect profile.  At first, patients who had not tolerated ipi well were not allowed in anti-PD1 trials.  Now, Moffitt, as well as other locations, have arms specifically designated for patients with prior treatment and side effects from ipi.  Most patients seem to be doing well.  I don't really feel able to tell you what you SHOULD do, but I do think you should follow your heart as to what you think is best for you and believe that you do have some real, and viable options.  Wishing you the best. C

Bubbles
                                                          Participant

Hey Roxy,

Bubbles
                                                            Participant

I really do understand what you mean.  I just had my 10 year anniversary of living with melanoma August 14!!!  It is very hard to get out from under its shadow.  And…this is the place!  For a pity party, for anger and frustration, for access to information!!!  You can't always do that in front of loved ones and I think these boards should be places with no judgement….for exactly that purpose!

I will be keeping fingers and toes crossed that your biopsy next week is a big old waste of time with a negative result!!!  At any rate, I'm glad you are getting it done and you can move forward from there with whatever steps you need to take next.

Bubbles
                                                              Participant

Roxy1453
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Best to you too!
                                                                  Roxy1453
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Best to you too!
                                                                Viewing 13 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics