The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Questions…so many unknowns.

Forums General Melanoma Community Questions…so many unknowns.

Participant

Hello! 

I’be been reading these posts for last three days. I’m so confused and sometimes I’m hopeful but then I read some  more and then I feel hopeless.  My main thought and worry right now is this…..I see so many say “it was caught early-Stage 1a,, no Mets, 0 miotic, clear margins on the WLE, clear SLB results and then 3 months later they find an enlarged lymph node and it’s met to the lungs etc… how can you relax and accept that you will probably not have another MM and keep with with your 3 month scans and it will be fine.  When obviously that isn’t always true. What else could have been done in these cases? Are the biopsy’s  read wrong to begin with? If so, why would the SLB be clear. I know there are no answers and that MM follows no rules. Should I accept that I will die from this ultimately ?  How can you live in fear? 

I felt better yesterday after leaving the derm-she was so nonchalant and told me I’m ok but today I’m scared and worried all over agin.  I’m rambling now. I know the answer here but why do they act so damn sure that you are cured? 

Thanks for reading this far. 

Karmen

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hi Karmen,

I understand your fear.  I'm not really sure what to tell you as everyone has to reach a balance in dealing with melanoma in their own way.  With melanoma, sadly, you are correct "there are no rules".  The odds are you will NOT have to deal with melanoma again when you are Stage 1a.  Period.  But, then again there is the no rule scenario.

Here is the only thing I can tell you…  I was diagnosed as Stage 3b in 2003 at the age of 39, in the middle of grad school with a job, a husband, and two middle schoolers.  I had choices, just as you do.  The very same ones, in fact….albeit with a worse prognosis.  I could curl up in a ball of fear and worry OR I could LIVE!!!!!!!!!  There were difficult days and moments, but I refused then, and I refuse today, to let melanoma win.  And by that I mean….

MELANOMA will NOT take my life, until it TAKES my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I will not give to melanoma one momemnt more than is required for me to plan my care, take the precautions or treatments needed, have my sad moment, and get back up and LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wrote this for some who were asking some of your same questions in 2016:  

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/05/dont-give-up-dont-ever-give-up.html  

Find your place.  Find your balance.  Go for a run, do yoga, volunteer, help out at a shelter (women's, homeless, pups)….whatever it takes for you to find your place in the world.   If you already have a busy, full life ~ LIVE it!!!  Do NOT give it to melanoma!!!  

Hope this helps a bit. Yell and scream here or with a friend as needed!!   I wish you well.  Celeste

karmendowell
            Participant

Celeste, Thank you so much for your words. They are exactly what I needed to read today.  I always knew that life could turn on a dime and I always wondered what my "dime" would be. Well, here it is. One week ago I wasn't even worried about the mole I had removed two days prior.  Monday came and everything changed. I'm ready to accept this and ebrace the suck that may or may not be ahead of me. But I can do this. I have to. I will not give my life to Melanoma.

I'm very grateful that I found this place 😉

Karmen

Janner
            Participant

Ditto everything Celeste says.  Don't let melanoma win!

In addition, no one ever says stage 1a has a 100% survival rate.  It doesn't.  So yes, there are going to be some that progress.  You also have to realize that stage 1a TODAY is a more exclusive club that it used to be.  So when someone says they are stage 1a – it doesn't always mean the same thing.  i.e. My first lesion in 1992.  It was stage 1a then.  In the early 2000s, the staging changed and for many years that same lesion was classified as stage 1b.  .58mm with 1 mitosis and no ulceration.  With the latest 2018 staging, it's back to stage 1a again.   But stage 1a for the last 5 years has been the most strictest it had ever been.  Stage 1b is a very big category too and staging has also changed there.  Anyway, so when you read someone's posting about progressing, you also need to take into account when they were diagnosed as well as taking them for their word that they really know.  (Believe me, that is also a big deal.  Over the years it has been clear to me that people don't always get all the aspects of their diagnosis).  People have posted about progressing from in situ, but their report shows a deeper lesion.  Pathology reports rarely include a stage, that is usually given by the doc.

And then we hit the the second issue.  The internet.  We know there are a small percentage that progress.  But there are a huge percentage that don't.  And they (hopefully – present company excluded) are out living their life and not worrying about melanoma.  Why would they post on the internet that they are 5 years NED, 10 years NED?  They have no reason to come back and post the success stories.  You have to keep this in perspective because the vast majority of lesions diagnosed are in situ or stage 1.  And the vast majority do not progress.  An if you spend your time worrying about it, then you've let melanoma win whether or not it ever comes back.

Janner

Stage 1 since 1992, 3 MM primaries

karmendowell
                Participant

Janner,

Thank you so much for addressing these issues.  Your words are comforting and calmed me from my morning dispair.   These is so much I have to keep in perspective with this diagnosis and these are things I would not have thought of.  In my 49 years of living, one thing I have learned is how you look at something can change everything (in your mind). I will stop worrying. I will not let it win, either way. 

Thank you for replying and giving me a new perspective!

Karmen

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics