The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Questions-Need Help

Forums General Melanoma Community Questions-Need Help

Participant

Hi all.  I just received the bad news that a lesion I had biopsied yesterday by my Dermatologist is a Melanoma-in-Situ.  This is now my second one.  I had my first one 3 years ago at age 27.  I am, of course, losing my mind with worry.  It might be a little easier if I didn't have a 3-year-old at home that I am not ready to leave anytime soon.  I heard it is rare to have more than one primary.  Anyone have this or heard of it?  How long am I going to be lucky and keep finding these at this early stage?  I feel like there is more going on in m

Hi all.  I just received the bad news that a lesion I had biopsied yesterday by my Dermatologist is a Melanoma-in-Situ.  This is now my second one.  I had my first one 3 years ago at age 27.  I am, of course, losing my mind with worry.  It might be a little easier if I didn't have a 3-year-old at home that I am not ready to leave anytime soon.  I heard it is rare to have more than one primary.  Anyone have this or heard of it?  How long am I going to be lucky and keep finding these at this early stage?  I feel like there is more going on in my body that is not being seen but I have not been successful in convincing my doctor to scan me.  Is it possible to go my entire life with only having Melanoma-in-Situs?  Is it possible to never have one spread beyond the top layer?  I'm sorry I know I am rambling I am just grasping for straws.  Thank you in advance for your insight.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

No it is not common to have more than one primary (something like 8%-10% do), but yes it is possible to find them all at an early stage.  No doctor will scan you with just in situ melanomas and no insurance company will likely pay for scans.  Basically, the likelihood of spread from in situ melanoma is EXTREMELY rare –  < 1%.  In addition, it is thought that in situ melanoma might be "over diagnosed" today given the lawsuit mentality that exists.  So while I have no idea if the pathologist was just covering his bases by your diagnosis, it is also something to keep in the back of your mind.  There can be a fine line (and a judgement call) between an atypical lesion and melanoma in situ.

I've had 3 primaries – 2 were stage IB and 1 was in situ.  I had them in 1992, 2000 and 2001.  I'm still here and still stage I. 

WATCH YOUR MOLES FOR CHANGE!  If you have a lot of atypical looking moles, you might consider getting some type of baseline photos done for comparison purposes.  The shock is something, I know.  But you need to look at the big picture where in situ melanomas basically are taken care of with the WLE surgery.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

No it is not common to have more than one primary (something like 8%-10% do), but yes it is possible to find them all at an early stage.  No doctor will scan you with just in situ melanomas and no insurance company will likely pay for scans.  Basically, the likelihood of spread from in situ melanoma is EXTREMELY rare –  < 1%.  In addition, it is thought that in situ melanoma might be "over diagnosed" today given the lawsuit mentality that exists.  So while I have no idea if the pathologist was just covering his bases by your diagnosis, it is also something to keep in the back of your mind.  There can be a fine line (and a judgement call) between an atypical lesion and melanoma in situ.

I've had 3 primaries – 2 were stage IB and 1 was in situ.  I had them in 1992, 2000 and 2001.  I'm still here and still stage I. 

WATCH YOUR MOLES FOR CHANGE!  If you have a lot of atypical looking moles, you might consider getting some type of baseline photos done for comparison purposes.  The shock is something, I know.  But you need to look at the big picture where in situ melanomas basically are taken care of with the WLE surgery.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

AngelaM
              Participant

Yes, I am 31 yrs old and have had 3 primaries. In-situ Oct 2009, stage 1A Jan 2011, stage 1B Oct 2011 (3 in the space of 2 years). The 2nd one arose during the late stages of my pregnancy, and the 3rd one 10 months later. 

So, yes – it does happen. Is it common? The people on this forum say it's not (and that's what the research suggests), but my doctors say that quite a number of their patients get multiple primaries (some even get 4,5 or 6). I live in a very sunny climate, however, so there may be other factors at play. Also, if you have DNS or any family history of melanoma then you could be at increased risk of multiple primaries. 

Bear in mind that your melanomas have been found extremely early, and Janner may have a good point about your doctor/pathologist erring on the side of caution. If you keep up with your derm appointments then you will almost certainly be around for many, many years to come.

AngelaM
                Participant

Yes, I am 31 yrs old and have had 3 primaries. In-situ Oct 2009, stage 1A Jan 2011, stage 1B Oct 2011 (3 in the space of 2 years). The 2nd one arose during the late stages of my pregnancy, and the 3rd one 10 months later. 

So, yes – it does happen. Is it common? The people on this forum say it's not (and that's what the research suggests), but my doctors say that quite a number of their patients get multiple primaries (some even get 4,5 or 6). I live in a very sunny climate, however, so there may be other factors at play. Also, if you have DNS or any family history of melanoma then you could be at increased risk of multiple primaries. 

Bear in mind that your melanomas have been found extremely early, and Janner may have a good point about your doctor/pathologist erring on the side of caution. If you keep up with your derm appointments then you will almost certainly be around for many, many years to come.

AngelaM
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics