The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Questions for the Oncologist

Forums General Melanoma Community Questions for the Oncologist

Participant
      I will see the Oncologist for the first time since diagnosis, WLE with full thinkness skin graft and SLNB of invasive nodular melanoma of the left foot. So far, margins are clear as are the nodes and I want to as aggressive as possible in keeping any recurrence at bay. Can anyone offer suggestions on questions I should ask about a treatment plan? Are there any Stage II folks receiving treatment? I would appreciate any advice or stories from anyone so I can make the best, most informed decision for my treatment.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Sharon

I will see the Oncologist for the first time since diagnosis, WLE with full thinkness skin graft and SLNB of invasive nodular melanoma of the left foot. So far, margins are clear as are the nodes and I want to as aggressive as possible in keeping any recurrence at bay. Can anyone offer suggestions on questions I should ask about a treatment plan? Are there any Stage II folks receiving treatment? I would appreciate any advice or stories from anyone so I can make the best, most informed decision for my treatment.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Sharon

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

There really still isn't much approved treatment for people that are currently NED (No Evidence of Deseise) except for Yervoy (aka Ippi).  Do a search under those two and you will find plenty of discussion.  It's a personal decision as whether or not to go this route. 

Also discuss with him any questions you have regarding possible lyphedema, if you are having the slightest bit of inflammation.  Since you did not have all your lymph nodes removed this may never be an issue.

Good Luck and lets us know how your visit goes,

Mary

Stage 3

LynnLuc
            Participant

There are several trials now for NED…look on cancer.gov for "resected melanoma". I was surgically resected and I am in a Anti PD 1 trial at Moffitt in Tampa. I am stage 4 and been NED for 2 years.

LynnLuc
              Participant

There are several trials now for NED…look on cancer.gov for "resected melanoma". I was surgically resected and I am in a Anti PD 1 trial at Moffitt in Tampa. I am stage 4 and been NED for 2 years.

LynnLuc
                Participant

washoegal
                Participant

There really still isn't much approved treatment for people that are currently NED (No Evidence of Deseise) except for Yervoy (aka Ippi).  Do a search under those two and you will find plenty of discussion.  It's a personal decision as whether or not to go this route. 

Also discuss with him any questions you have regarding possible lyphedema, if you are having the slightest bit of inflammation.  Since you did not have all your lymph nodes removed this may never be an issue.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                  Participant

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                    Participant

OOOPS!  Brain Dead.  Meant to say do a search here for Interferon.  Yervoy is a drug approved only for Stage 4.

Mary

Sharona19
                        Participant
                          Thanks for your reply. The only info I have found is on interferon and it’s controversial benefits.

Also, I see you live in Washoe Valley. I grew up in Reno and went to Wooster High : )

Sharona19
                          Participant
                            Thanks for your reply. The only info I have found is on interferon and it’s controversial benefits.

Also, I see you live in Washoe Valley. I grew up in Reno and went to Wooster High : )

Sharona19
                            Participant

washoegal
                            Participant

OOOPS!  Brain Dead.  Meant to say do a search here for Interferon.  Yervoy is a drug approved only for Stage 4.

Mary

washoegal
                              Participant

Mary

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics