The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Questions about metastasizing melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Questions about metastasizing melanoma

Participant

So I'm basically the most paranoid person on the planet. I just am curious if melanoma can metastasis without going through you lymph system? I couldn't really find much to read on it, mainly looks like it likes going through the lymph system. Thanks guys. Just trying to educate as much as possibe. <3

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        BillB
        Participant

I’m pretty sure it can also move through the blood system (vascular invasion). Depending how deep the lesion was (mine was 7mm and characterized with neuro/ vascular invasion). Hope this helps.

doragsda
          Participant

The answer is yes, it can.   My wife had a primary on her left calf.   At the time of removal, her sentinal lymph nodes were biopsied and clear.   Her PET scan was clear.   She appeared to be cancer free.   6 months later she had two mets in her brain.   It is now a year later and she has never had a lymph node light up on a scan.

Savymoo23
              Participant

It's crazy because everyone seems to make me feel like im 100% in the clear because it wasn't in the one lymph node that they biopsied. I just don't feel at ease and have been trying to advocate for myself as best as possible.

doragsda
                Participant

Well,   adjuvant therapies are only usually available at stage 3.  Since you don't have lymph node involvement you aren't stage 3.   You should advocate for an ongoing monitoring program, though, probably involving scans every 6 months.  My wife was just coming up on her first set of post-WLE scans at the 6 month mark when I had to take her to the emergency room for serious symptoms and her two brain mets were found.  

Gene_S
                Participant

My husband had a 10.5 mm lesion  on his head with negative SLN clear and all margins were clear at the time.  9 months later he had a second lesion cut and again with clear margins.  He later became stage IV and went on a clinical trial and has been NED for 6 years now.  He never had brain mets during this time.  If interested you can read his profile.

Best of luck to you.

Judy the loving wife of Gene Stage IV (clinical trial of Ipi ((Yervoy)) 10 mg/kg and GMCSF daily self injections and NED since July of 2012)

Joycem
                  Participant

Hi Savannah,

Yes it can spread by lymphatic system or blood. Spread at nearby lymph nodes is most common but mel can hide out and appear at distant sites months or years after original diagnosis. That is why there is more frequent follow up first couple years.

With longer time from diagnosis risk decreases but is still higher than for people who never had melanoma. Most stage 1 and 2 pts do not progress. Young people such as yourself tend to have better outcomes because your immune system is stronger, elderly people have poorer survival statistics.

Yup, this is sucky to have uncertainty hanging over our heads but that’s how it is. Tricky bit is to accept this possibility but not become hyper focused on it, to enjoy our lives and not let ourselves be made unhappy or afraid about what might never happen. You can study a lot of statistics, but they won’t reflect new treatments effect on survival, and you are YOU  and NOT a statistic. Life is never certain. We just got a big reminder of that. 

Most cancer centers offer counseling if needed to help adjust to this new normal. Be thankful that you do not need to deal with treatments now, and that if you need them down the line there are great people here to comfort and advise and new treatments becoming available all the time. Pray for those on this board who are struggling with active treatments, side effects and worse. 

Blessings, 

joyce 

cancersnewnormal
                    Participant

Lymph system, blood stream, and the even more creepy "angiotropism" – meaning that they could travel along the outside of blood vessels, without entering into the bloodstream.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/cancer-spreading:-caught-in-the-act

Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics