The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Questions a new pateint should ask their ocular oncologist , medical oncologist liver surgeon interventionsit

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community Questions a new pateint should ask their ocular oncologist , medical oncologist liver surgeon interventionsit

Participant

I am looking for ideas on questions that newly diagnosed eye pateints should ask their ocular oncologists- suggestions please

Then what one should ask one s liver surgeon

questions for interventionsis

questions for oncologist.

Please all think what would be good questions we should ask

thanks

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        lak
        Participant

Come on guys – there must be something you asked or you felt you should have asked?

Anonymous
            Inactive

Hello lak,

Actually, Sara, Molly and I have just started working on a 'Questions to Ask Your Doctor' document. It is not finished and will be reviewed several more times by staff and also by patients, but here is the short list we have come up with for metastatic disease:

• Why do you think I have metastatic disease?
              • What are my treatment options and what are the differences between each of them?
              • Which treatment do you think is best for me and why?
              • Are there different treatments at different centers that I should learn about?
              • What is the difference between liver-directed therapy and other local controls versus systemic treatments like immunotherapy, chemotherapy, and targeted therapy?  Can the different treatments be combined?
              • Are there different outcomes depending on the treatment?
              • What are the side effects of each treatment?
              • Have you tested my melanoma for genetic mutations such as the GNAQ mutation? What about other mutations? Are any of the skin melanoma mutations relevant to OM?  Will this help direct us toward a particular effective treatment?
              • Will I be able to continue my normal daily life?
              • What clinical trials would you recommend?

Please, if you or if anyone else has additional question, you can send them directly to me at [email protected]. Our list will contain questions for both primary disease and for metastatic disease.

I hope this helps get you started. Thanks in advance for any additional recommendations you have!

Shelby – MRF

Education Program Manager

Anonymous
              Inactive

Hello lak,

Actually, Sara, Molly and I have just started working on a 'Questions to Ask Your Doctor' document. It is not finished and will be reviewed several more times by staff and also by patients, but here is the short list we have come up with for metastatic disease:

• What are my treatment options and what are the differences between each of them?
                • Are there different treatments at different centers that I should learn about?
                • What is the difference between liver-directed therapy and other local controls versus systemic treatments like immunotherapy, chemotherapy, and targeted therapy?  Can the different treatments be combined?
                • Have you tested my melanoma for genetic mutations such as the GNAQ mutation? What about other mutations? Are any of the skin melanoma mutations relevant to OM?  Will this help direct us toward a particular effective treatment?

Please, if you or if anyone else has additional question, you can send them directly to me at [email protected]. Our list will contain questions for both primary disease and for metastatic disease.

I hope this helps get you started. Thanks in advance for any additional recommendations you have!

Shelby – MRF

Anonymous
                Inactive

Hello lak,

Shelby – MRF

lak
                Participant

Come on guys – there must be something you asked or you felt you should have asked?

lak
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics