The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Questions

Forums General Melanoma Community Questions

Participant

was diagnosed with stage 1a melanoma about one year ago.  It was 0.2MM thick and I had a mitotic rate of zero.   It was on my upper arm. A WLE was performed and all margins were clear.  Also, no other melanoma cells were found even at the original site.  Is the non-finding of any cells in the WLE unusual?

I have consulted with two dermatologists concerning melanoma.

The first states all the usual warnings regarding melanoma, caused by radiation exposure, etc.

Second doctor with more of a research orientation, he is on the faculty at Stanford, believes UVA/UVB has little to do with the development of melanoma.  He says  he believes it is all caused by some genetic weakness or predisposition towards it and not UVA/UVB radiation or sunburns.

I have medium toned skin, blonde hair and green hazel eyes.  I tan and do not burn.

Who do I believe?

It is important to me because I have a genetic skin disease called psoriasis.  The easiest, and most effective way to treat it is using narrow band spectrum UVB light.  Very narrow spectrum and I can control it with an exposure of three minutes once weekly.

One doctor says no more light treatments, the Stanford doctor says no reason I can't continue with home narrow band UVB treatments.  Other treatments are systemic drugs, with many side effects and cause minimal suppression of the immune system.

Any comments are appreciated.

Final issue, can anyone provide studies or statistics on skin checks?  One doctor says every six months, other says once a year, first two years, and subsequently only if you see something new or bothersome.  Second doctor works with a lot more melanoma patients than the first.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        miaka618
        Participant
          Check out this article. At the bottom it lists risk factors for melanoma, sun burns being at the very bottom of the list.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20170523/Melanoma-could-affect-anyone-regardless-of-skin-color.aspx

I think sun is more of a risk factor for melanoma in fairer people than people with darker complexions. I also tan very well and haven’t had many sun burns in my life. My melanoma was in my hair in a spot where I didn’t get a lot of sun. Maybe I didn’t get enough sun there, I don’t know. Personally, I would follow the advice of the doctor who deals with melanoma more frequently.

betsyl
          Participant

That's a tough quandry and I sympathize with your dilemma. It's up to you to decide what risk/benefit you're able to live with. My advice is to be wary of the human tendency to be swayed by the cherry-picking fallacy: Finding the one doctor who tells you what you want to hear, and ignoring the vast majority who say otherwise.

Good luck,

Betsy

betsyl
              Participant

*quandary

slholmdahl
                Participant

Thanks for you comments!

stars
                Participant

As an Australian, there is no doubt to me that sunburns cause superficial spreading melanoma – the most common type. There may be other causes, but we have such a high rate of melanoma precisely because of our exposure to sun (as does New Zealand). What we have in common is a high proportion of very fair-skinned people doing lots of outdoorsy things and exposing themselves to lots of sun. A good control would be: do people of the same ancestry in a not-sunny climate (e.g. the UK) get the same rates of melanoma. No, they don't – we do because we are baked in the sun from birth. The evidence seems to show though that your UVB therapy is not implicated in skin cancer: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15869531

slholmdahl
                    Participant

Thanks for your analysis of  the rates in Austraila vs. Great Britian.  I live in California, sunny etc and our rates are increasing too.  Thanks for the UVB information,  I had not seen the information related to your particular link.  Thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics