The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question: Do all invasive melanomas form a tumor bump/raised?

Forums General Melanoma Community Question: Do all invasive melanomas form a tumor bump/raised?

Participant

Once melanoma enters the VGP, does that mean that the mole starts to raise up or form a visible tumor? Can a VGP melanoma be flat?

Once melanoma enters the VGP, does that mean that the mole starts to raise up or form a visible tumor? Can a VGP melanoma be flat?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Typically Mel follows the ABCs but there are always exceptions.  Mine was one and I am sure there are many more on the board.  My tumor was 3.7mm deep but relatively flat, in fact had no indicators at all.  It would not have been removed except for the fact it itched.  I know there are at least two other people on the board that had the exact same experience. There are guidelines, as with anything medical, there are no hard and fast rules so don't drive yourself crazy trying to find them.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
            Participant

Vertical Growth Phase refers to the fact that it is growing deeper into the tissue.

washoegal
              Participant

Vertical Growth Phase refers to the fact that it is growing deeper into the tissue.

washoegal
                Participant

washoegal
                Participant

Typically Mel follows the ABCs but there are always exceptions.  Mine was one and I am sure there are many more on the board.  My tumor was 3.7mm deep but relatively flat, in fact had no indicators at all.  It would not have been removed except for the fact it itched.  I know there are at least two other people on the board that had the exact same experience. There are guidelines, as with anything medical, there are no hard and fast rules so don't drive yourself crazy trying to find them.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                  Participant

Mary

Stage 3

Janner
                    Participant

There is no direct correlation that I've ever seen between "raised" and VGP".  Vertical growth phase seems to be a more recent area of interest and more may be known about it and researched in the future.  And yes, a lesion can be flat and also have VGP.  It can also be tiny or quite large.  If something "raises", it answers the "Change" rule and is a candidate for biopsy.  But being raised by itself is not any indication of the underlying lesion's particulars.

Janner
                      Participant

There is no direct correlation that I've ever seen between "raised" and VGP".  Vertical growth phase seems to be a more recent area of interest and more may be known about it and researched in the future.  And yes, a lesion can be flat and also have VGP.  It can also be tiny or quite large.  If something "raises", it answers the "Change" rule and is a candidate for biopsy.  But being raised by itself is not any indication of the underlying lesion's particulars.

Janner
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics