The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question about WLE on calf

Forums General Melanoma Community Question about WLE on calf

• This topic has 24 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ldub.
    Participant

I am having my WLE tomorrow on my left lateral calf for an in situ lesion that was approximately 5 mm.  I know generally what the procedure is and have read up on appropriate margins, shape of the excision,  etc. but am wanting to hear from those of you who have had these in the past  – about how long is the procedure, how large was your incision, did it hurt a lot?, do they just use a local, how long were you supposed to stay off your feet (if at all) and average recovery time – when could you exercise, take a long walk, run again?   I was thinking that I was supposed to take it easy for a couple of days and not exercise for about 2 weeks, but the dermatologists at my melanoma center have made it sound more painful with a longer recovery than I imagined.    So now I am a bit more anxious.  Thanks for any input. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Squash
        Participant

Had one taken off my tight calf a little bit bigger than yours 18 months ago.

It wasnt painful at all.

Had a local and it was taken out in about 40 mins.

Couldnt play any strenous sport for a few months but i was walking gingerly for a week or two after that okay but did have some nerve damage that took a couple of months to heal.

Are they doing a SNB at the same time?

If so it makes it a bit more painful and longer recovery period and probablly a general anaesthetic.

I opted not to do SNB and monitor by ultrasound.

They might also want to do a skin flap or graft depending on margins and that makes it more complicated.

Good luck.

Squash
          Participant

It wasnt painful at all.

Couldnt play any strenous sport for a few months but i was walking gingerly for a week or two after that okay but did have some nerve damage that took a couple of months to heal.

If so it makes it a bit more painful and longer recovery period and probablly a general anaesthetic.

They might also want to do a skin flap or graft depending on margins and that makes it more complicated.

Good luck.

ldub
              Participant

Thanks for the information and well wishes.  I don't require a SNB as my lesion was read as a Stage 0, superficial spreading with no dermal invasion – so it was caught pretty early, thankfully.  I've had my consultation appointment already and they have told me that I will not require a skin graft even though the skin on the calf area tends to be tight.  They also told me that they excise down to the fascia so the concern for recovery is that the wound can separate even after the stitches are removed in a couple of weeks.  I was wondering in general when during my recovery I can return to some normalcy in terms of walking and exercising – seems like it might be awhile. 

Squash
                Participant

It took me two weeks to start walkiing properly again but i could still walk just gingerly.

I drove my self back home after the surgery so it really isnt that bad.

Squash
                  Participant

It took me two weeks to start walkiing properly again but i could still walk just gingerly.

Squash
                    Participant

ldub
                      Participant

Funny you mention that – they recommended pretty strongly  that I have someone to drive me home afterward and I thought, why?  So my husband is taking time off work to go with me just in case, but I think it is a little bit overkill.  I am relieved to hear that you had no problem driving and it wasn't that bad.

ldub
                        Participant

Funny you mention that – they recommended pretty strongly  that I have someone to drive me home afterward and I thought, why?  So my husband is taking time off work to go with me just in case, but I think it is a little bit overkill.  I am relieved to hear that you had no problem driving and it wasn't that bad.

ldub
                          Participant

ldub
                            Participant

Thanks for the information and well wishes.  I don't require a SNB as my lesion was read as a Stage 0, superficial spreading with no dermal invasion – so it was caught pretty early, thankfully.  I've had my consultation appointment already and they have told me that I will not require a skin graft even though the skin on the calf area tends to be tight.  They also told me that they excise down to the fascia so the concern for recovery is that the wound can separate even after the stitches are removed in a couple of weeks.  I was wondering in general when during my recovery I can return to some normalcy in terms of walking and exercising – seems like it might be awhile. 

ldub
                              Participant

Squash
                              Participant

It wasnt painful at all.

Good luck.

Janner
                                Participant

I've had 1 WLE on the inside of my calf, one on my shin and one just below the knee.  One atypical, one in situ and one stage I.  All done with a local.  The atypical on the inside of the calf was the largest excision because of the location.  It is curved and about 3.5".  I considered them an inconvenience and went back to work after the first one.  Maybe a little Tylenol but I never took pain meds.  I did use some ice packs.  I played a lot of tennis when I had these, and I laid off while stitches were in, then actually wrapped them after the stitches were out while the scar was still healing when I exercised.  I think the thing is to be smart.  The excision will be very tight so don't rip out the stitches and be careful until the wound is totally healed.  You'll be able to feel if something is too much.  Everyone is different, but just take it a day at a time.  It doesn't have to be a big deal if you don't make it.  ๐Ÿ™‚

ldub
                                    Participant

Thanks Janner – I guess I didn't know quite what to expect – the doctor seemed to be a little over the top with the admonishments on limiting activity.  I'm an active person and don't want to totally derail my exercise – in the last three months I've finally followed a consistent routine to get back into shape,   I'm not afraid of the pain or how long the scar will be (I'm anticipating mine will probably be closer in size to the larger one on your calf) but I'm interested in the potential for the wound to separate after stitches come out, which I obviously would like to avoid.  I am encouraged by your tennis playing so soon after your stitches were out, but I will take it a day at a time and try not to get too antsy.

Janner
                                      Participant

Just so you understand, there will be internal stitches, too.  Because they take out a big hunk of skin, they reinforce the excision with internal and external stitches.  You still don't want to rip anything apart, but it is more than just the visible stitches holding the wound together.  Also, some people's bodies reject internal stitches and in time, just spit them out through the skin.  Just giving you a heads up on a possibility so you don't freak out if something like that happens.

Janner
                                        Participant

Just so you understand, there will be internal stitches, too.  Because they take out a big hunk of skin, they reinforce the excision with internal and external stitches.  You still don't want to rip anything apart, but it is more than just the visible stitches holding the wound together.  Also, some people's bodies reject internal stitches and in time, just spit them out through the skin.  Just giving you a heads up on a possibility so you don't freak out if something like that happens.

ldub
                                          Participant

Thanks for the heads up.  Just back from the WLE, leg up and iced for today per instructions.  I have three layers of stitches and the doctor warned me that although they try to put the internal stitches in deeply, they may work themselves out before dissolving on their own.  The experience itself was relatively painless – about 20-25 minutes spent in the procedure, the rest of the time waiting for the doctor and getting prepped with what seemed to be a million shots of lidocaine.  It pretty much matched what I imagined it would be.  The doctor showed me the stitches/wound afterward, explained why she left it "bumpy" – apparently, the extra skin taken up on the external stitching eventually smooths and  stretches out to a better cosmetic appearance.  There is a noticeable "dent' in my leg from the deep excision, but this is supposed to look better after about 5 months.  Told to take it easy today and advised to avoid consistent walking or other increased activity for about a week because an  increased heart rate can cause additional bleeding according to them.  So stitches will come out in two weeks and we will see what happens from there.  Hoping for clean margins on path so I dont have to do this again!  Sitting around with my leg up is not really my cup of tea.

ldub
                                            Participant

Thanks for the heads up.  Just back from the WLE, leg up and iced for today per instructions.  I have three layers of stitches and the doctor warned me that although they try to put the internal stitches in deeply, they may work themselves out before dissolving on their own.  The experience itself was relatively painless – about 20-25 minutes spent in the procedure, the rest of the time waiting for the doctor and getting prepped with what seemed to be a million shots of lidocaine.  It pretty much matched what I imagined it would be.  The doctor showed me the stitches/wound afterward, explained why she left it "bumpy" – apparently, the extra skin taken up on the external stitching eventually smooths and  stretches out to a better cosmetic appearance.  There is a noticeable "dent' in my leg from the deep excision, but this is supposed to look better after about 5 months.  Told to take it easy today and advised to avoid consistent walking or other increased activity for about a week because an  increased heart rate can cause additional bleeding according to them.  So stitches will come out in two weeks and we will see what happens from there.  Hoping for clean margins on path so I dont have to do this again!  Sitting around with my leg up is not really my cup of tea.

ldub
                                              Participant

Janner
                                                Participant

ldub
                                                  Participant

Thanks Janner – I guess I didn't know quite what to expect – the doctor seemed to be a little over the top with the admonishments on limiting activity.  I'm an active person and don't want to totally derail my exercise – in the last three months I've finally followed a consistent routine to get back into shape,   I'm not afraid of the pain or how long the scar will be (I'm anticipating mine will probably be closer in size to the larger one on your calf) but I'm interested in the potential for the wound to separate after stitches come out, which I obviously would like to avoid.  I am encouraged by your tennis playing so soon after your stitches were out, but I will take it a day at a time and try not to get too antsy.

ldub
                                                    Participant

Janner
                                                    Participant

I've had 1 WLE on the inside of my calf, one on my shin and one just below the knee.  One atypical, one in situ and one stage I.  All done with a local.  The atypical on the inside of the calf was the largest excision because of the location.  It is curved and about 3.5".  I considered them an inconvenience and went back to work after the first one.  Maybe a little Tylenol but I never took pain meds.  I did use some ice packs.  I played a lot of tennis when I had these, and I laid off while stitches were in, then actually wrapped them after the stitches were out while the scar was still healing when I exercised.  I think the thing is to be smart.  The excision will be very tight so don't rip out the stitches and be careful until the wound is totally healed.  You'll be able to feel if something is too much.  Everyone is different, but just take it a day at a time.  It doesn't have to be a big deal if you don't make it.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Janner
                                                      Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics