The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question about small lung nodule

Forums General Melanoma Community Question about small lung nodule

Participant
      Hi All-
      I just received my Re-read of my Pet/CT Scan from UCSF and they found a 3mm non – calcified nodule in my right upper love of my lung. Anyone have this and it turns out to be nothing?
      Thanks!
      Stephanie
    Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        StephyD83
        Participant
          Lobe* sorry about that.
          StephyD83
          Participant
            Lobe* sorry about that.
            StephyD83
            Participant
              Lobe* sorry about that.
              Janner
              Participant

Benign lung nodules are common — and the most common thing to do is watch and see if it grows.  Especially for something that size because 3mm would be difficult to biopsy.

Janner
                Participant

Benign lung nodules are common — and the most common thing to do is watch and see if it grows.  Especially for something that size because 3mm would be difficult to biopsy.

Janner
                  Participant

SABKLYN
                    Participant

Hi Stephy,

I have a few  punctuate nodules in my lung that are +/- 1mm.  Over the past three years, they have not changed. Being the case, my Dr.'s are not concerned.  They will continue to monitor.  By the way, I also have an unchanged nodule in my kidney; also,unchanged.  Like you, I was initially concerned but have taken comfort in the fact they are unchanged, are being monitored and my oncologist is largely unconcerned.  Just be vigilant, but don't let it be too much of a concern

Prd10
                        Participant

Hi Stephy,

I also have two small lung nodules 3mm and 2mm.  They were picked up on CT, but not a PET (too small).  When they first showed up my Dr did his best to assure me they were probably nothing, but we did re-scan 6 weeks later to make sure there was no growth.  Horrible 6 weeks, but they didn't grow.  It's now been 2 years and still no growth.  I always worry, but they are very common.  

Marianne quinn
                          Participant

My husband has had several nodules that disappeared on further scans. The oncologist said it was very common. It could be anything. It may be something that just showed because of the slice that the CAT scan took. It is like making very small slices of a potato and seeing if there is a defect in the texture of the potato in one spot. I would try not too worry too much and wait for another scan. 

Marianne quinn
                            Participant

My husband has had several nodules that disappeared on further scans. The oncologist said it was very common. It could be anything. It may be something that just showed because of the slice that the CAT scan took. It is like making very small slices of a potato and seeing if there is a defect in the texture of the potato in one spot. I would try not too worry too much and wait for another scan. 

Marianne quinn
                              Participant

Prd10
                                Participant

Hi Stephy,

I also have two small lung nodules 3mm and 2mm.  They were picked up on CT, but not a PET (too small).  When they first showed up my Dr did his best to assure me they were probably nothing, but we did re-scan 6 weeks later to make sure there was no growth.  Horrible 6 weeks, but they didn't grow.  It's now been 2 years and still no growth.  I always worry, but they are very common.  

Prd10
                                  Participant

Hi Stephy,

SABKLYN
                                  Participant

Hi Stephy,

I have a few  punctuate nodules in my lung that are +/- 1mm.  Over the past three years, they have not changed. Being the case, my Dr.'s are not concerned.  They will continue to monitor.  By the way, I also have an unchanged nodule in my kidney; also,unchanged.  Like you, I was initially concerned but have taken comfort in the fact they are unchanged, are being monitored and my oncologist is largely unconcerned.  Just be vigilant, but don't let it be too much of a concern

SABKLYN
                                    Participant

Hi Stephy,

DZnDef
                                      Participant

Hi Stephanie,

I know this is asking a lot, but please do what you can to not worry about this right now.  At the moment, there is no way to know what this is (it is just too small).  Plus it is very possible that it is nothing and will either disappear or stay the same on the next scan.  3mm is very tiny.  In order to confidently perform a lung needle biopsy, most doctors would need the nodule to be at least 1cm (it's not easy for them to hit such a tiny target with that needle).  Alternatively, you could do a surgical biopsy.  I did this but in my case I regret it (they did not know I had melanoma and were only concerned with the spot so during the biopsy when it was determined to be cancer they removed the entire lobe of my lung!  That would not have been the protocol if they had known I had melanoma going in so that would likely not happen to you).

In summary, the first time they find a spot, they can't really know anything.  It's the next set of scans that will provide useful comparative information (did it grow?  shrink?  stay the same? etc.).  If you must consider the worst-case-scenario, then also consider that if you are a person that will be responsive to the current treatments, you will respond to those treatments 3 or 4 months from now too.

Waiting is stressful and challenging, but stress by itself is immunosuppresant so please do what you can minimize the stress (yoga, meditation, deep breathing, watching funny movies, whatever works for you).  Right now you do NOT know this is melanoma.  So enjoy this time.  If you learn later that it is, you will have plenty of time to worry then.

Best of luck and health to you!

DZnDef
                                        Participant

Hi Stephanie,

I know this is asking a lot, but please do what you can to not worry about this right now.  At the moment, there is no way to know what this is (it is just too small).  Plus it is very possible that it is nothing and will either disappear or stay the same on the next scan.  3mm is very tiny.  In order to confidently perform a lung needle biopsy, most doctors would need the nodule to be at least 1cm (it's not easy for them to hit such a tiny target with that needle).  Alternatively, you could do a surgical biopsy.  I did this but in my case I regret it (they did not know I had melanoma and were only concerned with the spot so during the biopsy when it was determined to be cancer they removed the entire lobe of my lung!  That would not have been the protocol if they had known I had melanoma going in so that would likely not happen to you).

In summary, the first time they find a spot, they can't really know anything.  It's the next set of scans that will provide useful comparative information (did it grow?  shrink?  stay the same? etc.).  If you must consider the worst-case-scenario, then also consider that if you are a person that will be responsive to the current treatments, you will respond to those treatments 3 or 4 months from now too.

Waiting is stressful and challenging, but stress by itself is immunosuppresant so please do what you can minimize the stress (yoga, meditation, deep breathing, watching funny movies, whatever works for you).  Right now you do NOT know this is melanoma.  So enjoy this time.  If you learn later that it is, you will have plenty of time to worry then.

DZnDef
                                          Participant

Hi Stephanie,

JustMeInCA
                                            Participant

While I certainly understand your fears, Stephanie, I agree with those who say to wait until the next scan. Another CT done so soon after the last won't tell you much anyway, and I'm not sure your insurance would even cover the cost. 3 mm is quite small, so realistically it would be really unlikely to grow massive over the next four months, even if it did turn out to be a metastasis, so it wouldn't make much difference in terms of treatment. If it's too small to be biopsied right now, there isn't much to be done anyway. I know it has to be scary to just sit and wait, but maybe you could try to come up with a plan for boosting your immune system through a healthier diet, relaxation, etc. so that you feel like you're taking some action.

JustMeInCA
                                              Participant

While I certainly understand your fears, Stephanie, I agree with those who say to wait until the next scan. Another CT done so soon after the last won't tell you much anyway, and I'm not sure your insurance would even cover the cost. 3 mm is quite small, so realistically it would be really unlikely to grow massive over the next four months, even if it did turn out to be a metastasis, so it wouldn't make much difference in terms of treatment. If it's too small to be biopsied right now, there isn't much to be done anyway. I know it has to be scary to just sit and wait, but maybe you could try to come up with a plan for boosting your immune system through a healthier diet, relaxation, etc. so that you feel like you're taking some action.

JustMeInCA
                                                Participant

Momrn5
                                                  Participant

I have 2 non calcified nodules in my left lung, 2mm and 3 mm.  MD said  CT of chest every 6 months for 3 years. I have had 2 CT's so far and they are unchanged.  I really would not want anything invasive for nodules that are so small and very common in something like 50% of the population over 50.  

Momrn5
                                                    Participant

I have 2 non calcified nodules in my left lung, 2mm and 3 mm.  MD said  CT of chest every 6 months for 3 years. I have had 2 CT's so far and they are unchanged.  I really would not want anything invasive for nodules that are so small and very common in something like 50% of the population over 50.  

StephyD83
                                                        Participant
                                                          Thanks everyone for the replys. I am just hoping for some sort of follow up the oncologiest was implying that he would not follow up at all.
                                                          StephyD83
                                                          Participant
                                                            Thanks everyone for the replys. I am just hoping for some sort of follow up the oncologiest was implying that he would not follow up at all.
                                                            StephyD83
                                                            Participant
                                                            Momrn5
                                                            Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics