The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

question about SLNB with thin tumor <.75 mm

Forums General Melanoma Community question about SLNB with thin tumor <.75 mm

Participant

Hello,

I'm recently diagnosed with melanoma on my ankle, 41 years old. T1a, superficial spreading, 0.58mm, Clark's level 3, no ulceration, dermal mitoses <1/mm2, no regression. 

I'm scheduled for a wide excision surgery and the surgeon also recommended sentinel lymph node biopsy, though optional. He did reassure me that the chance of finding anything in the nodes was about 5% or less, but he thought I might want to have that extra reassurance and he assured me that other than mild pain at incision site, it would be very unlikely that I would suffer side effects from the biopsy. I agreed to the biopsy with the surgery. I WOULD like to have that more certain assurance that we are in the clear.

Anyone here with thoughts on this? From all that I've read online, SLNB is NOT recommeded for lesions under (about) 0.7mm, at least those without any other features present such as ulceration, faster mitoses, etc. So is there some reason I shouldn't have the SLNB done? I'm not ooking forward to having any surgery, and certainly not anything "extra", but I'm willing to go through it if in fact it will give me more certainty of being free of future effects of this tumor. 

Any helpful comments appreciated. 

Thank you!

Louise

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        DianaD
        Participant

Louise, you have to do what feels right to you.  If I were in your shoes, I would do exactly as you have decided to do. 

DianaD
          Participant

Louise, you have to do what feels right to you.  If I were in your shoes, I would do exactly as you have decided to do. 

DianaD
            Participant

Bubbles
              Participant

Louise,

To do, or not to do, sentinel node biopsy is a contentious issue with patients as well as researchers.  I had mine done….twice…along with a complete lymph node disection…twice.  Right axilla in 2003 after my first primary on my back…with one positive node.  Left axilla in 2007 after a second primary on my left forearm, no positive nodes.  It wasn't fun…but I've been through worse.  I have never developed lymphadema.  Unfortunately, I did progress to Stage IV with brain and lung mets in 2010.  However, after surg, SRS and Nivo…I have been NED ever since.  I am still glad that I did have the SNB and complete lymphadenectomies.  I think it bought me time, though I cannot prove it.  You have to do what you think is best for you and simply move forward from there.  Here is some research data from related blog posts if you are interested:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/lymph-node-removal-after-superficial.html

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/04/with-melanoma-you-can-never-be-too-rich.html

I wish you my best in whatever path you choose.  Celeste

Bubbles
                Participant

Louise,

To do, or not to do, sentinel node biopsy is a contentious issue with patients as well as researchers.  I had mine done….twice…along with a complete lymph node disection…twice.  Right axilla in 2003 after my first primary on my back…with one positive node.  Left axilla in 2007 after a second primary on my left forearm, no positive nodes.  It wasn't fun…but I've been through worse.  I have never developed lymphadema.  Unfortunately, I did progress to Stage IV with brain and lung mets in 2010.  However, after surg, SRS and Nivo…I have been NED ever since.  I am still glad that I did have the SNB and complete lymphadenectomies.  I think it bought me time, though I cannot prove it.  You have to do what you think is best for you and simply move forward from there.  Here is some research data from related blog posts if you are interested:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/lymph-node-removal-after-superficial.html

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/04/with-melanoma-you-can-never-be-too-rich.html

Bubbles
                  Participant

Louise,

stars
                    Participant

In Australia I don't think you would be offered a SLNB by any GP who is following the official guidelines – here the cutoff for SLNB is 1mm thick, and yours is a long way under that. I know in the States things are different – drs seem more likely to offer/do SLNB on thinner melanomas. But I thought that was only if the mel had negative indicators like really high mitosis etc. It's a bit of a dilemma… I personally wouldn't, but then again it's hard to say no with the dr providing such a good argument for doing it.

stars
                      Participant

In Australia I don't think you would be offered a SLNB by any GP who is following the official guidelines – here the cutoff for SLNB is 1mm thick, and yours is a long way under that. I know in the States things are different – drs seem more likely to offer/do SLNB on thinner melanomas. But I thought that was only if the mel had negative indicators like really high mitosis etc. It's a bit of a dilemma… I personally wouldn't, but then again it's hard to say no with the dr providing such a good argument for doing it.

stars
                        Participant

CHD
                          Participant

Louise, I have to say I am one of the rare few who had the SLNB and have had issues with lymphedema, though mild, and some chronic referred pain from the biopsy site on one side.  In my case, the SLNB was warranted with mucosal melanoma, 1 mm thickness, and regression being factors, but the doc really felt I was at low risk for side effects because I was thin, fairly young, and very healthy.  Even so, I have had a bit of trouble on one side (mine were bilateral groin biopsies).  I have mixed feelings about doing this if not truly necessary.  It is not therapeutic of course, just helps, as your doctor said, to provide some reassurance if the nodes are clear.  But reassurance is also valuable, I definitely agree.  Is it worthwhile to do it for that reason alone?  Maybe so.  I don't regret having the procedures done, and mine came back clear, in spite of the side effects.  But with a thinner melanoma and fewer risk factors, it might not be worth the potential hassle.  As others have said, it just comes down to individual choice.  Some doctors don't even offer it for thinner melanomas, some do.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck, whatever you decide is best for you! : )

CHD
                            Participant

Louise, I have to say I am one of the rare few who had the SLNB and have had issues with lymphedema, though mild, and some chronic referred pain from the biopsy site on one side.  In my case, the SLNB was warranted with mucosal melanoma, 1 mm thickness, and regression being factors, but the doc really felt I was at low risk for side effects because I was thin, fairly young, and very healthy.  Even so, I have had a bit of trouble on one side (mine were bilateral groin biopsies).  I have mixed feelings about doing this if not truly necessary.  It is not therapeutic of course, just helps, as your doctor said, to provide some reassurance if the nodes are clear.  But reassurance is also valuable, I definitely agree.  Is it worthwhile to do it for that reason alone?  Maybe so.  I don't regret having the procedures done, and mine came back clear, in spite of the side effects.  But with a thinner melanoma and fewer risk factors, it might not be worth the potential hassle.  As others have said, it just comes down to individual choice.  Some doctors don't even offer it for thinner melanomas, some do.

Just my 2 cents.

CHD
                              Participant

Just my 2 cents.

Birdlo
                                  Participant

This is really a reply to all those who responded to me, above. I thank you all for your replies.

This is giving me some pause to think about this and whether in fact I want to go ahead with the SLNB or not. I do fear the potential side effects (unlikely as they may be). 

My surgery is scheduled for Sept 16th (is this too long to wait? the surgeon thought there is no rush as "all of the tumor is out, we just need to get good margins"…does that sound right?) so I guess I have some time to think about things (aka worry about and not come to any conclusive decision), over the next few weeks. 

I wish that this disease did not exist, that it had not affected any of you, or me, but I guess that goes without saying. 

Again thanks all, and wishing you all the best. 

Louise

Birdlo
                                    Participant

This is really a reply to all those who responded to me, above. I thank you all for your replies.

This is giving me some pause to think about this and whether in fact I want to go ahead with the SLNB or not. I do fear the potential side effects (unlikely as they may be). 

My surgery is scheduled for Sept 16th (is this too long to wait? the surgeon thought there is no rush as "all of the tumor is out, we just need to get good margins"…does that sound right?) so I guess I have some time to think about things (aka worry about and not come to any conclusive decision), over the next few weeks. 

I wish that this disease did not exist, that it had not affected any of you, or me, but I guess that goes without saying. 

Louise

Birdlo
                                      Participant

Louise

stars
                                        Participant

LOL 'worry about and not come to any decision'… too funny, Louise. I see your dilemma though, I really do. It is correct that once the mel is completely removed, there is not an immediate urgency to WLE – most have mine have been within two weeks or so of initial biopsy but I did read somewhere you could wait quite a few weeks before the WLE.

stars
                                          Participant

LOL 'worry about and not come to any decision'… too funny, Louise. I see your dilemma though, I really do. It is correct that once the mel is completely removed, there is not an immediate urgency to WLE – most have mine have been within two weeks or so of initial biopsy but I did read somewhere you could wait quite a few weeks before the WLE.

stars
                                            Participant

Mamarose0403
                                              Participant

I have a very similar diagnosis to yours and just had the WLE a few days ago. My surgeon strongly urged me not to do the SLNB. Said to wait for pathology because if the margins are clear my lymph nodes would be too. I wanted it all done at the same time but my surgeon was pretty adamant about not testing lymph nodes. At 38 years old he said the risks of complications from not having those lymph nodes was far greater than the risks of a second surgery to remove them if necessary.  I opted not to have them removed just yet and will find out tomorrow what the  pathology report has to say. FYI be prepared if you're not already , my WLE was much larger than expected. I thought the standard was 2cm for rumors <1mm but my surgeon went 5!!! My scar is the full length of my forearm for a thin melanoma the size of a quarter. Not to frighten you or anything but I was horrified when I removed my bandages. Recover has not been as easy as expected so I am very glad I don't have a second wound site to deal with as well. But that's just me. Good luck with your surgery. 

Mamarose0403
                                                Participant

I have a very similar diagnosis to yours and just had the WLE a few days ago. My surgeon strongly urged me not to do the SLNB. Said to wait for pathology because if the margins are clear my lymph nodes would be too. I wanted it all done at the same time but my surgeon was pretty adamant about not testing lymph nodes. At 38 years old he said the risks of complications from not having those lymph nodes was far greater than the risks of a second surgery to remove them if necessary.  I opted not to have them removed just yet and will find out tomorrow what the  pathology report has to say. FYI be prepared if you're not already , my WLE was much larger than expected. I thought the standard was 2cm for rumors <1mm but my surgeon went 5!!! My scar is the full length of my forearm for a thin melanoma the size of a quarter. Not to frighten you or anything but I was horrified when I removed my bandages. Recover has not been as easy as expected so I am very glad I don't have a second wound site to deal with as well. But that's just me. Good luck with your surgery. 

JC
                                                  Participant

I think the standard is 1cm for tumors < 1mm (in removing an invasive melanoma that is 1 mm or less in thickness, the margins of surrounding skin are extended to 1 cm)

JC
                                                    Participant

I think the standard is 1cm for tumors < 1mm (in removing an invasive melanoma that is 1 mm or less in thickness, the margins of surrounding skin are extended to 1 cm)

JC
                                                      Participant

Mamarose0403
                                                        Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics