The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

question about SLNB and regional none dissection

Forums General Melanoma Community question about SLNB and regional none dissection

Participant

I am wondering what is the hospital stay duration and recovery time (e.g., able to do a household activities) after these two procedures. Thanks. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Toby0987
        Participant

It's outpatient. I did have 1 night in hospital because I was acting like a baby but they wanted me out late in the day after morning surgery. I had Mel on my forearm and in my right armpit. I was ready to go back to work in 1 week. I had it done at mayo in Rochester. Stage 3b 2013

Jackfish
            Participant

I had it done along with a skin graft on head. Really not much pain and able to do most activities in a day or so.

Jackfish
              Participant

I had it done along with a skin graft on head. Really not much pain and able to do most activities in a day or so.

Jackfish
                Participant

Toby0987
                Participant

It's outpatient. I did have 1 night in hospital because I was acting like a baby but they wanted me out late in the day after morning surgery. I had Mel on my forearm and in my right armpit. I was ready to go back to work in 1 week. I had it done at mayo in Rochester. Stage 3b 2013

Toby0987
                  Participant

mrsaxde
                    Participant

My original excision and SLNB were done as an outpatient procedure. But the lymph node dissection kept me in the hospital overnight. I had a surgical drain in, and my surgeon wanted to make sure that any pain was under control.

Good luck to you!

-Bill

mrsaxde
                      Participant

My original excision and SLNB were done as an outpatient procedure. But the lymph node dissection kept me in the hospital overnight. I had a surgical drain in, and my surgeon wanted to make sure that any pain was under control.

Good luck to you!

-Bill

mrsaxde
                        Participant

Good luck to you!

-Bill

mjanssentx
                          Participant

Had both surgeries within 2 weeks of each other.  In and out in about 2 hours once out of the waiting room.  The surgery center that I went to was large and very efficient.  No big deal except for getting an IV which required too many tries.

The biggest complication was for the regional node and that was related to the drain tube.  Because of the ongoing drainage that I was experiencing, it had to remain in for 8 weeks and while it was a pain for the first  few weeks (carrying your grenade sized bottle and tube)…it became increasingly more painful over time so 

I think most folks have the drain for about 3-4 weeks (not too sure on the average)…

I was so glad when that came and I was able bath and sleep normally again.

Best wishes

Michel

mjanssentx
                            Participant

Had both surgeries within 2 weeks of each other.  In and out in about 2 hours once out of the waiting room.  The surgery center that I went to was large and very efficient.  No big deal except for getting an IV which required too many tries.

The biggest complication was for the regional node and that was related to the drain tube.  Because of the ongoing drainage that I was experiencing, it had to remain in for 8 weeks and while it was a pain for the first  few weeks (carrying your grenade sized bottle and tube)…it became increasingly more painful over time so 

I think most folks have the drain for about 3-4 weeks (not too sure on the average)…

Best wishes

Michel

mjanssentx
                              Participant

Best wishes

Michel

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics