The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question about Pets

Forums General Melanoma Community Question about Pets

Participant

I'm hesitant to post this question because: 1) it seems so inconsequential, and 2) I feel rather idiotic, but it's a genuine issue and I'm at wit's end. My dad is Stage IV with several large tumors on his right leg that cause him a good amount of neuropathic pain, especially at night. He, who was never a cat guy, was adopted a couple years ago by an abandoned cat which simply adores him, to the point that if Dad goes outside, the cat sits at the door and yowls.

The problem is that the cat, Sidney, likes to lay on Dad in his recliner. This isn't as much of a problem during the day, but Dad has taken to sleeping in his recliner at night because the pain is more bothersome when he's lying in bed. Of course Sidney now also wants to sleep there with him and wakes him up during the night when he moves and touches Dad's leg. 

I've slept in Dad's bed the last couple nights and locked Sidney in there with me, but he yowls and bangs on the door to wake the dead. We've tried to come up with other solutions, but Dad won't go for anything like a squirt gun or sonic deterrent — he just says, "No, leave the poor little guy alone."

Has anyone else had to deal with an overloving pet? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carole K
        Participant

Hi Just me,

I don't think there's much you can do. Your Dad is the cats Dad and he wants to be near him.  He knows what's going on believe me and he wants to comfort him.  I know it's annoying .  Can you put a chair next to the recliner where he will feel he is close to him.  You can make it comfy by putting pillows on the chair.  Just ake it level with your Dad.  Maybe if he puts his hand on him it will work.  Animals can sense when things are going on.  I had an accident many years agoa nd was bed ridden for quite some time.  My cat would not leave my side. The dog slept right next to the bed and the cat slept by my head.  It drove my husband crazy.  lol.  I wish he had loved me as much.. lol.  I know it's difficult.  Hope you can find a solution. 

Big hugs

Love and Light

Carole K.

Carole K
          Participant

Hi Just me,

I don't think there's much you can do. Your Dad is the cats Dad and he wants to be near him.  He knows what's going on believe me and he wants to comfort him.  I know it's annoying .  Can you put a chair next to the recliner where he will feel he is close to him.  You can make it comfy by putting pillows on the chair.  Just ake it level with your Dad.  Maybe if he puts his hand on him it will work.  Animals can sense when things are going on.  I had an accident many years agoa nd was bed ridden for quite some time.  My cat would not leave my side. The dog slept right next to the bed and the cat slept by my head.  It drove my husband crazy.  lol.  I wish he had loved me as much.. lol.  I know it's difficult.  Hope you can find a solution. 

Big hugs

Love and Light

Carole K.

Sheepsandcows
              Participant

I fully agree with Carole. Pets, and most specially cats, are very intuitve and sensitive. When my husband was diagnosed with another type of cancer, our cat went completely odd in his behaviours. I guess now, he felt very confused and overwhelmed. The interesting thing is that the cat changed his behaviour just before the diagnosis. He felt something was not OK.

Pets can be a great company and they help with reducing the patients stress level. I wonder if finding creative  solutiong with your dad will help. I would sugget not to keep thisnlovely cat away from your dad.

best wishes

m

Sheepsandcows
                Participant

I fully agree with Carole. Pets, and most specially cats, are very intuitve and sensitive. When my husband was diagnosed with another type of cancer, our cat went completely odd in his behaviours. I guess now, he felt very confused and overwhelmed. The interesting thing is that the cat changed his behaviour just before the diagnosis. He felt something was not OK.

Pets can be a great company and they help with reducing the patients stress level. I wonder if finding creative  solutiong with your dad will help. I would sugget not to keep thisnlovely cat away from your dad.

best wishes

m

Sheepsandcows
                  Participant

best wishes

m

JustMeInCA
                    Participant

Carole, your advice was stellar — the chair for Sidney worked great last night! 

JustMeInCA
                      Participant

JustMeInCA
                        Participant

Carole K
                          Participant

I am so happy for you..   I hope he continue to love his new chair.  Big Hugs

Love and Light

Carole K

Carole K
                            Participant

Love and Light

Carole K

Carole K
                              Participant

Love and Light

Carole K

Carole K
                              Participant

Hi Just me,

Big hugs

Love and Light

Carole K.

JustMeInCA
                                Participant

Thanks to you both for your replies. Things definitely have changed in the cat's life since Dad also lost his little Bichon Frise, who was the cat's best buddy, the day before we got Dad's Stage IV results. So, besides there having been a lot of stress for us over the past couple months, it's been stressful for Sidney as well.

It's not that Dad and I want to keep him away per se; it's just that when he steps on or paws his tumors, two of which are ulcerated and oozy, it causes him a lot of pain, which wakes him up at night and doesn't make for a good night's sleep.

Carole, I will try your idea of putting a chair with Sidney's little bed on it right next to Dad. We put his bed on the couch last week, but he doesn't want to be there, so maybe being closer would help.

I guess there's no easy answer, but I agree that having the cat, especially after losing the dog, is good for Dad overall.

Carole K
                                    Participant

And the cat is also griveing the loss of his friend.  When I lost onr of my cats, the other one stayed on the sofa for months.  Animals are amazing creatures  They feel and love deeply.  Big hugs to you and dad  Please keep us posted

Love and Light

Carole K

Carole K
                                      Participant

And the cat is also griveing the loss of his friend.  When I lost onr of my cats, the other one stayed on the sofa for months.  Animals are amazing creatures  They feel and love deeply.  Big hugs to you and dad  Please keep us posted

Love and Light

Carole K

Carole K
                                        Participant

Love and Light

Carole K

JustMeInCA
                                        Participant

Thanks to you both for your replies. Things definitely have changed in the cat's life since Dad also lost his little Bichon Frise, who was the cat's best buddy, the day before we got Dad's Stage IV results. So, besides there having been a lot of stress for us over the past couple months, it's been stressful for Sidney as well.

It's not that Dad and I want to keep him away per se; it's just that when he steps on or paws his tumors, two of which are ulcerated and oozy, it causes him a lot of pain, which wakes him up at night and doesn't make for a good night's sleep.

Carole, I will try your idea of putting a chair with Sidney's little bed on it right next to Dad. We put his bed on the couch last week, but he doesn't want to be there, so maybe being closer would help.

I guess there's no easy answer, but I agree that having the cat, especially after losing the dog, is good for Dad overall.

JustMeInCA
                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics