The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question about pathology report

Forums General Melanoma Community Question about pathology report

Participant

Hello everyone.  Hope everyone doing well and keeping up the fight. Praying for everyone.

Not sure if you remember me but was diagnosed stage 1a July 2018. I had some biopsy’s done and my dermatologist says I’m fine I just had some moderate atypia one. “JUNCTIONAL AND LENTIGINOUS DYSPLASTIC NEVUS WITH MODERATE ATYPIA, LIMITED MARGINS FREE” dermatologist says we have clear margins and we are good.  

But finally got pathology and it has a Description that is bothering me cause I googled.

”The epidermis shows lentiginous and junctional melanocytic hyperplasia” …….I read that this can be used for melanoma  in Situ. There is more in description about it but this stood out.

no where on path talks about Situ and I would hope that the dermatologist know what he talking about.

i was wondering if anyone had this description before and knew about.  Was going to contact dermatologist but I think I’ve been driving him crazy with all the questions.

just don’t know I’m I’m looking into to much. I just know the mental mind games is hard on me. 

Thanks for looking. Prayers for all.

David

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

You're reading into this too much.  If you don't have some type of architectural or cellular changing (including hyperplasia), then you don't have an atypical lesion – you have a totally normal mole.  Reading your diagnosis line by line is NOT helpful.  The description portion is what is justifying the final diagnosis.  You do NOT know more than the pathologist who read the slides and if s/he thought it was an in situ lesion, then that would have been the final diagnosis.  If you don't trust the pathologist, then get a second opinion.  But don't try to read between the lines of a pathology report and think you can interpret it differently.  It doesn't work like that and you are spinning your anxiety wheels for nothing. 

Dave61184
            Participant

Thank you Janner you are very helpful and knowledgeable I have read tons of you reply’s.  I know i always have been type person who read into things way to much doesn’t matter the subject but since all this it been to the extreme. Just need to chill out. Thanks again.

Dave61184
              Participant

So the term melanocytic hyperplasia shouldn’t be stressed on?

Janner
                Participant

NO!  Let it go.  Melanocytic hyperplasia is the reason this is moderately atypical.  You should put this report away and never look at it again because it isn't worth any stress.  I'm not going to answer any more questions on this report and you shouldn't spend time worrying about it.  smiley

Dave61184
                  Participant

Roger that.. Thank you for being stern and to the point  I think I need more of that in my life puts it in perspective. Thanks again janner 

Rescumom1
                    Participant

Janet must you me that harsh?  This is a patient who should be asking questions they don’t understand not to mention you don’t know what type of person they are and how they react..I think it’s a good thing to ask everything and anything..and we should be supportive and not harsh and not cryptic..just my observations 

Janner
                      Participant

First off, my name isn't Janet.  2nd, the original poster said he has read tons of my replies before.  I've been on this site for 17 years and probably have 1000s of posts many regarding pathology and early stages.  He certainly knows my style if that's the case.  I'm sorry you didn't like my reply but the OP is obsessing about a pathology report for something not melanoma and questioning the accuracy of the report.  None of us are pathologists – if he wants a second opinion, he should get it and I stated that..  But I stand by what I said and how I said it.  He has indicated he has an ability to overthink and this lesion isn't worth overthinking.  I'm sorry you were offended by my post.  If others think the same, I can easily move on.

ed williams
                        Participant

Hi Janner, as hard to believe as this might sound, I read all your post and I have never come across any one on this forum or other melanoma groups that help so many freaked out possible melanoma stage zero or less patients as you do!!! I don't know where you find the patients to be so kind and understanding with so many obvious folks that suffer with mental health issues!!! I love it when after being a member on this forum for 8 years this lady decided to make her first post an attack on you "Janner" the person that helps people the most on MRF. I have lost my patients for ass $&@&$ like this first time poster, I think she should crawl back into her hole and just keep watching and not talking. Love what you do Janner!!! Keep up the great job!!! Ed 

jbronicki
                          Participant

Don't ever move on Janner!  I second what Ed said, you have brought more information to this board and presented this evidence-based data and understanding of early stage/in situ Melanoma in a straightforward, accurate and concise manner, that is invaluable.  I'm a medical librarian/clinical research manager and your point about the pathology is absolutely correct.  We are not pathologists (at least I know I didn't spend 10-15 years extra education and traning, both academic and clinical). Nor  do we even have the tools to view the actual specimens even if we wanted too or know what we are even looking at in terms of the data they make their assessment off of, so only solution is second opinion from another expert.  There can be variance amongst pathologists, that is the point of the second opinion (and there is interrater reliability but pathologist have a pretty high interrater reliability due to years and years of training) .  As much as I've been tempted to read into things with my husband's reports, your advice is spot on .  You have PROVEN your knowledge and expertise in this area time and time again.  You are INVALUABLE to the board.  We all need to hear your advice and guidance.  I'm a 45 year old pale irish woman who played national/collegiate tennis until age 25 in the sun everyday with no sunscreen, you'll be the first person I ask if anything pops up on my skin checks.    

Bubbles
                            Participant

And I third it!!!  What the heck, Rescumom1??????????????????????? Seriously, what have you contributed to this forum that you are prepared to call out Janner? Really???  You might do a little background check before you embark on that again.  Janner has been answering the guy who posed this question politely and completely since SEPTEMBER!!!!  What have you been doing?  AND the person in question really does need to take Janner's advice.  It seems as though he finally heard her.  Perhaps you need to be appreciative of Janner's willingness to put in her time, over and over and over to help people who are upset.  When you have done that, I suspect we will all be more willing to listen when next you take your high horse out for a ride.

Thanks for all you do, Janner.  We don't say that often enough…and we should.  celeste

Dave61184
                              Participant

Hey everyone my attentions wasn’t  to start a fight or anything.  I’m just a scared stage 1aer since July 2018 and I have prob read tons of topics on here since then.  I’m just scared and I know I just need to live life and move on. Just was seeing if anyone had similar path reports. I pray for everyone here cause this cancer sucks so much from mental to physical. Thank you for taking the time to even reply to my topic.  Sorry again. 

Dave61184
                                Participant

Intentions*** not attentions sorry again.

Viewing 0 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics