The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question about new test – DecisionDx by Castles Biosciences Inc.

Forums General Melanoma Community Question about new test – DecisionDx by Castles Biosciences Inc.

Participant

Hi – 

I just returned from my three month check up with my dermatologist. She told me about a new test for melanoma patients called DecisonDx (by Castle Biosciences Inc.). 

She explained that they send off my melanoma tissue to this lab to determine my risk for melanoma coming back? 

Has anyone ever heard of this test? She explained it was new. I'm not sure how this would change my treatment plan? 

Just wanted to know if anyone has heard of it or if they recommend it. Thank you!

Lisa, Stage 1A (one year ago); .75mm melanoma, — I had WLE and one node removed and biopsy; I also had brain MRI and full body PET/CT scan.  — all negative. 

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

If you type Castle in the Search section you'll find other threads with the same question and quite a few answers.

ed williams
          Participant

The topic has come up a few times, here is a link to the last one!!!! Best Wishes!!!Ed https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/new-non-invasive-melanoma#comment-10090

ed williams
              Participant

Sorry about the link, it is not for the same test that you are asking about, I looked back and couldn't find them any more. There was a couple of post by new posters trying to sell the product. I think the post have been removed, but not 100% sure on that. Ed

lisa joy
                Participant

Thank you!

Joycem
                  Participant

My Derm also recommended Castle test at my May appt. I agreed since it was no cost to pt at this time, and my result (2b, highest risk) came in about 3 weeks.

My lesion was already considered high risk because of depth and mitotic rate so not much change except to stay diligent in checks with onc and derm every 3 mo, and cautioned me not to ignore anything that could be symptom of mets. I believe they also decided to extend the duration of time for frequent monitoring. I will be a year from diagnosis in July. 

Honestly it did ramp up my anxiety a bit. I did a fair bit of reading, but all the articles seem to be from Castle so taking with grain of salt. They must be marketing the heck out of it though. 

"Castle Biosciences closed the first tranche of a $20 million Series F round, roping in $11.7 million to ramp up marketing for its cutaneous melanoma test and R&D for its cancer diagnostic tool" http://www.fiercebiotech.com/medical-devices/castle-biosciences-reels-11m-for-cancer-dx

I don't think Insurance companies are buying it though. If you google you will find some plan evaluations categorizing it as experimental, not covered. 

It might feel reassuring to get a lower risk classification, but it's still a statistical thing and one could fall on either side of the split either way. Also one might benefit from increased diligence if a low risk lesion (by depth) came back w high risk genetically from Castle.

I would not sign anything agreeing to pay if insurance doesn't cover. My understanding is Castle is not billing patients but I did see one post here about someone getting billed, but I think ultimately did not pay.

lisa joy
                    Participant

very interesting…thank you! I'm just not convinced it will do me any good at this point. I feel like it will give me much more anxiety. 

raun cesar
                    Participant

Castles test is not the new, however the delayed adoption of technique makin it looks new. Its is helpful is assessment of risks for melanoma to come back in future.

Joycem
                        Participant

Castle Biosciences has offered for some time an evaluation of primary tissue in ocular melanoma that is highly predictive of the likelihood of metastasis. The test looks at genetic profiles of patients. Those profiles fall into two broad classes: Class I patients rarely experience metastasis and Class II patients almost always experience metastasis. Castle now has a similar product for cutaneous melanoma. So far they have only done small studies, but the test seems to hold up well. They tested a group of Stage I and II melanoma patients. Those who tested as Class 1 had a 5-year metastasis-free rate of 97%; those who tested Class II were at 31%. They also looked at patient who had sentinel-node biopsy (SLNB). In that study, the Castle test was more accurate than SLNB than predicting response. (From mpip info on tests)

lisa joy
                          Participant

Thank you for your feedback and information!

lisa joy
                            Participant

Thank you!

lisa joy
                              Participant

Thank you!

jennunicorn
                              Participant

The reason why I wouldn't get one of these tests is because if you do land in the category of "high risk" when the results get back, what do you do then? There are no treatments for stage 1 and 2 patients. All you have after the result is more anxiety about the melanoma coming back… and all you can do is what you would have done already which is see your dermatologist every 3 months. Insurance won't pay for low stages to get a bunch of scans over a period of time, nor would getting unnecessary radiation be a good idea either. My advice, if it does come back saying you're high risk, try not to let it get to your head and create anxiety that didn't need to be there. Keep up with your regular appointments and keep living life to the fullest.

lisa joy
                                  Participant

Thank you very much! I agree. I just don't know why I would get the test. Sure…I'd like to have results telling me I"m in Category 1 but nothing is a guarantee. Also, If it came back showing I'm at high risk, then what? I can't really do any treatments until it comes back. And if it does return, does it mean it will return as a mole or internally? I think this test will give me even more stress and I should just continue with my plan — I see my dermatologist every three months and I even see my surgical oncologist every three months where he does an ultrasound on my lymph nodes (under my arm and in the groin area). 

Thanks again!

Viewing 4 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics