The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question about CDKN2A mutation

Forums General Melanoma Community Question about CDKN2A mutation

Participant
      In late 2005 I noticed a small bump on the back of my arm and in April 2006 I was diagnosed with a 2.5mm ulcerated melanoma. I had WLE, SLNB, and ELND and two lymph nodes were positive, so I was diagnosed with stage 3b. The only treatments offered to me at the time were interferon, which I passed on, and GM-CSF, which I only did for 11 days due to severe side effects. I have managed to remain NED since May 2006.

I recently did whole genome testing and discovered that I have the c.377T>A (p.Val126Asp) mutation in the CDKN2A gene, which is considered a pathogenic mutation for Pancreatic Cancer/Melanoma Syndrome. I assume I inherited this from my mother, but she passed away from pancreatic cancer in 1986 at the age of 43 so I will never know.

The only follow-up I’ve really had for the melanoma was chest x-rays and bloodwork. I’ve been to the dermatologist but they just ask me if I notice any strange spots on my skin and they seem to think I’m “cured” and won’t actually look at my skin. Getting a decent dermatologist would require driving hundreds of miles. We have limited options where I live.

I’ve always known that I’m at higher risk for both pancreatic cancer and melanoma, but I wonder if I should pursue a geneticist or get my kids tested? I feel like I’m just sitting here waiting for some type of cancer. I have VA health care in a rural area so getting scans or any other screening will likely be next to impossible. I think my anxiety is just getting the best of me right now but I haven’t kept up to date on melanoma treatments so I’m curious if anyone has any advice on what I should do next, if anything. Thanks!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics