The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Punch Biopsy vs Wide Excision

Forums General Melanoma Community Punch Biopsy vs Wide Excision

Participant

Hi Everyone,

I have a suspected amelanotic nodular melanoma and had an initial consult with a dermatologist that has now scheduled me for a 8mm punch biopsy.

Everything I read says that I should be having a wide excision.

I feel like he is taking the less invasive route because he doesn't see bumps that look like this.  I am scared of getting an incomplete diagnosis becaues I don't want to be rude or pushy with the doctor.

Should I push and demand a wide excision?  Should I see another doctor? Another doctor is going to take time to get a referrel and basically start from square one again. 

Please don't tell me you can't be sure or no one can tell me what to do etc. I already know that I just want to know in the opinion of other people who have had their melanoma diagnosis what would you do?

Kim V.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

The biopsy has to be done first to know if it is melanoma or not. There would be no reason for a WLE if it is not melanoma or anything of concern. When the pathology report comes back, at that time, and only if necessary, they would schedule you for a WLE. 

jennunicorn
          Participant

The biopsy has to be done first to know if it is melanoma or not. There would be no reason for a WLE if it is not melanoma or anything of concern. When the pathology report comes back, at that time, and only if necessary, they would schedule you for a WLE. 

jennunicorn
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

I would have the punch biopsy.  There is absolutely no problem diagnosing a lesion from a punch biopsy.  The wide excision is done after melanoma is confirmed.  And if it is melanoma and deeper than 1mm, they would want to do a Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy first.  The SNB needs to have the minimal amount of tissue removed prior to it being done as it analyzes the lymph node drainage and this might be altered when a large chunk of skin is removed.  It sounds like your doctor is following normal protocol for a suspected melanoma.

Janner
                Participant

I would have the punch biopsy.  There is absolutely no problem diagnosing a lesion from a punch biopsy.  The wide excision is done after melanoma is confirmed.  And if it is melanoma and deeper than 1mm, they would want to do a Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy first.  The SNB needs to have the minimal amount of tissue removed prior to it being done as it analyzes the lymph node drainage and this might be altered when a large chunk of skin is removed.  It sounds like your doctor is following normal protocol for a suspected melanoma.

Janner
                  Participant

Roni25
                    Participant

Hi Kimberley, am I right to assume that you don't mean a wide incision, just to have the mole cut out as oppose to a punch biopsy?

Roni25
                      Participant

Hi Kimberley, am I right to assume that you don't mean a wide incision, just to have the mole cut out as oppose to a punch biopsy?

Roni25
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics