The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Provisional Pathology Report following WLE and SLNB

Forums General Melanoma Community Provisional Pathology Report following WLE and SLNB

Participant

I received the first pathology report following my WLE and SLNB of three lymph nodes. The first report says that the provisional diagnositc all is negative. Yeah!!

However, it also says that results of immunostains and step sections pending. I expect those results in a few days. Am I right to understand that there is still a possibility of something showing up or they wouldn't bother with the immunostains and step sections?

I received the first pathology report following my WLE and SLNB of three lymph nodes. The first report says that the provisional diagnositc all is negative. Yeah!!

However, it also says that results of immunostains and step sections pending. I expect those results in a few days. Am I right to understand that there is still a possibility of something showing up or they wouldn't bother with the immunostains and step sections?

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        MMarieMetcalfe
        Participant

I have never even hear of immunostains or step sections.  Did your doctor explain to you what they are?

MMarieMetcalfe
          Participant

I have never even hear of immunostains or step sections.  Did your doctor explain to you what they are?

MMarieMetcalfe
            Participant

MMarieMetcalfe
              Participant

jimjoeb
                Participant

My family doctor was the one who shared the report with me and she didn't explain. I have the follow up appointment with my surgeon on Monday and I'm sure that she will clarify it.

I did find an interesting article that explain how a pathologist actually works on the biopsies. They do a preliminary exam through the microscope, they they cut the biopsies a particular way to be able to look thoroughly through them and apply special chemicals to stain the cells to be recognizable. I think that this is probably the most important part of the work of the pathologist and will give the most meaningful results.

In the meantime, the preliminary report is another smidgen of hopeful information.

MMarieMetcalfe
                    Participant

Well also congratulations, a negative can also be a postive.  I was just advised the same, so I was staged IIC, but I start the Interferon on the 23rd.  Good luck…Michelle

MMarieMetcalfe
                      Participant

Well also congratulations, a negative can also be a postive.  I was just advised the same, so I was staged IIC, but I start the Interferon on the 23rd.  Good luck…Michelle

jimjoeb
                      Participant

My family doctor was the one who shared the report with me and she didn't explain. I have the follow up appointment with my surgeon on Monday and I'm sure that she will clarify it.

I did find an interesting article that explain how a pathologist actually works on the biopsies. They do a preliminary exam through the microscope, they they cut the biopsies a particular way to be able to look thoroughly through them and apply special chemicals to stain the cells to be recognizable. I think that this is probably the most important part of the work of the pathologist and will give the most meaningful results.

In the meantime, the preliminary report is another smidgen of hopeful information.

W.
                        Participant

I think with this preliminary report you can be pretty sure that there are no macroscopic metastatses. (i.e. nothing that you could see with the bare eyes).

However, I think they will always do a more in-depth analysis to look for possible microscopic metastases.

(I'm not a doctor or an expert…)

W.
                          Participant

I think with this preliminary report you can be pretty sure that there are no macroscopic metastatses. (i.e. nothing that you could see with the bare eyes).

However, I think they will always do a more in-depth analysis to look for possible microscopic metastases.

(I'm not a doctor or an expert…)

Viewing 7 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics