The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pros and cons of radiation

Forums General Melanoma Community Pros and cons of radiation

Participant

Hi all,

I am looking for opinions and information on radiation. I am having surgery in two days to remove to a recurrence of melanoma to the inguinal/iliac lymph nodes (following a superficial groin dissection a year and a half ago). I currently have two enlarged lymph nodes that they are going to remove. My question is related to radiation after surgery. From what I have read radiation does not affect long term survival in any way it just prevents recurrence in the regional lymph node basin.Is this correct? Does having radiation in an area that is prone to lymphadema and other complications make sense if long term survival is not affected? Are there any studies that suggest that radiation can positively affect long term survival? Trying to navigate the decisions we have to make in light of this disease. Thanks for any and all help.

Nancy

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jamieth29
        Participant
          Nancy,
          I am having a similar situation. I am having surgery dec 30th to get a iliac node after a superficial groin dissection. They are doing the surgery laproscopiclly and a complete dissection. I have had doctors tell me both ways but the 4 different oncologist 2 said yes 2 said no don’t do it. I did have a surgeon tell me that if i get radiation that’s it for surgeries to that area because it will destroy all the tissue and will not heal correctly. I have had the radiation doctor tell me he thinks it would work and be beneficial for local control. I have struggled with this exact question. I think if i was going to do a adjuvant therapy such as yervoy or a pd-1 i would try it because the benefits of responding to immunotherapy with radiation increases response rate and that’s a fact. Lymphedema is also a concern as i had a oncologist say the chances of it happening could be up to 70%.and i had another doctor say he thought may 10-15% with my body type i have been lucky to not show any any signs of it yet. But we are looking to survive and lymphedema i dont think can make me say no to radiation. In the end its a roll of the dice.
            Nanners10
            Participant

Thanks for replying Jamie. My surgeon is just going in to get the two lymph nodes and not doing any further dissection. When you say complete dissection what do you mean? I had asked my surgeon about that option. My surgeon explained that he had already removed all the tissue so he would just have to go in and cherry pick the nodes in question, otherwise, he wouldn't know where to stop or start removing the nodes. I have already done ipi and obviously didn't have any success and am not sure if I will qualify for another study at this point. From the studies I have read my interpretation is that if you radiate all of the lymph nodes then if it recurs, you are looking at a distant recurrence, however, radiation could be beneficial if it is confined to the lymph nodes. I am a bit ahead of myself as I don't have a consult until after my surgery but I just wanted to get some other opinions on people in similar situations. Like you said perhaps in the end it is a roll of the dice. Kind of scary.

Nancy

jamieth29
              Participant
                From my understanding the superficial node dissection is just the nodes in the groin area mine was 13 nodes. The deep complete dissection will be the internal and external iliac nodes and pelvic nodes. I believe called a deep groin dissection. The surgeon basically said he’s going in and taking everything he can find in pelvic region amazingly he said about a 40 min process doing it laproscopiclly. He also referred to it as skeletonizing the area. I had one prior iliac dissection that removed 5 nodes and this one that is showing now was there and the one they were after but the surgeon missed it. However some other nodes were microscopically positive.
                jamieth29
                Participant
                  From my understanding the superficial node dissection is just the nodes in the groin area mine was 13 nodes. The deep complete dissection will be the internal and external iliac nodes and pelvic nodes. I believe called a deep groin dissection. The surgeon basically said he’s going in and taking everything he can find in pelvic region amazingly he said about a 40 min process doing it laproscopiclly. He also referred to it as skeletonizing the area. I had one prior iliac dissection that removed 5 nodes and this one that is showing now was there and the one they were after but the surgeon missed it. However some other nodes were microscopically positive.
                  jamieth29
                  Participant
                    Nanners10
                    Participant

Thanks for replying Jamie. My surgeon is just going in to get the two lymph nodes and not doing any further dissection. When you say complete dissection what do you mean? I had asked my surgeon about that option. My surgeon explained that he had already removed all the tissue so he would just have to go in and cherry pick the nodes in question, otherwise, he wouldn't know where to stop or start removing the nodes. I have already done ipi and obviously didn't have any success and am not sure if I will qualify for another study at this point. From the studies I have read my interpretation is that if you radiate all of the lymph nodes then if it recurs, you are looking at a distant recurrence, however, radiation could be beneficial if it is confined to the lymph nodes. I am a bit ahead of myself as I don't have a consult until after my surgery but I just wanted to get some other opinions on people in similar situations. Like you said perhaps in the end it is a roll of the dice. Kind of scary.

Nancy

Nanners10
                      Participant

Nancy

jamieth29
                      Participant
                        Nancy,
                        I am having a similar situation. I am having surgery dec 30th to get a iliac node after a superficial groin dissection. They are doing the surgery laproscopiclly and a complete dissection. I have had doctors tell me both ways but the 4 different oncologist 2 said yes 2 said no don’t do it. I did have a surgeon tell me that if i get radiation that’s it for surgeries to that area because it will destroy all the tissue and will not heal correctly. I have had the radiation doctor tell me he thinks it would work and be beneficial for local control. I have struggled with this exact question. I think if i was going to do a adjuvant therapy such as yervoy or a pd-1 i would try it because the benefits of responding to immunotherapy with radiation increases response rate and that’s a fact. Lymphedema is also a concern as i had a oncologist say the chances of it happening could be up to 70%.and i had another doctor say he thought may 10-15% with my body type i have been lucky to not show any any signs of it yet. But we are looking to survive and lymphedema i dont think can make me say no to radiation. In the end its a roll of the dice.
                        jamieth29
                        Participant
                          Nancy,
                          ed williams
                          Participant

Nancy, I wish I could post the link to the video, but it never works for me. If you go to youtube and type in " peer exchange Role of Adjuvant Radiation Therapy in Melanoma" you should find a video from Onclive featuring Dr. Omid Hamid, Dr. Jeffrey Weber, Dr.Jeffry Sosman, Dr.Robert H.I. Andtback and Dr. Mario Sznol. It is from 2014 and gets into the pro and cons of radiation for stage 3 melanoma, and they talk quite a bit about morbidy risks in groin region. The series or video have about 15 other topics including Adjuvant treatment options for high risk Melanoma patients. Hope this helps you with your decision making process. Ed

Nanners10
                              Participant

Thank you so much Ed and Jamie. I will review those videos for sure. The more information the better.

Nancy

Nanners10
                                Participant

Thank you so much Ed and Jamie. I will review those videos for sure. The more information the better.

Nancy

Nanners10
                                  Participant

Nancy

ed williams
                                  Participant

Nancy, I wish I could post the link to the video, but it never works for me. If you go to youtube and type in " peer exchange Role of Adjuvant Radiation Therapy in Melanoma" you should find a video from Onclive featuring Dr. Omid Hamid, Dr. Jeffrey Weber, Dr.Jeffry Sosman, Dr.Robert H.I. Andtback and Dr. Mario Sznol. It is from 2014 and gets into the pro and cons of radiation for stage 3 melanoma, and they talk quite a bit about morbidy risks in groin region. The series or video have about 15 other topics including Adjuvant treatment options for high risk Melanoma patients. Hope this helps you with your decision making process. Ed

ed williams
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics